Advise on asking price for 1967 P-90 and Electronics

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Tim Gall, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Tim Gall

Tim Gall New Member

Can anyone tell me about what my 1967 P-90 and wiring harness would be worth off of my SG Junior. Thanks, Tim s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (15).jpg s-l1600 (18).jpg

2. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

I don't think a whole lot since no sober person would want to drill two holes for a solution that's inferior to a 3-way.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I can never understand why people butcher Juniors when if they wanted a dual pickup guitar they could have traded it for a Special.

4. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

reverb has a bunch of similar things for sale. $200 and up for a p90 from that era. the harness maybe $100?

looks like the OP's guitar was modified a while ago.

5. Von Trapp

As a proud guitar butcher my opinion is probably somewhat biased but I don't really see a problem here because you can always get a new pickguard if you don't like the look. The real mystery here, to me, is why this particular butcher went for the remarkable two switch option and why, if he absolutely, positively had to, he didn't put them in the pickguard instead...

6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Maybe one switch selects the pup and the other is coil split for the humbucker.

I don't see a problem with modifying guitars. I'm not concerned about it being vintage either. The modifications were probably done before the guitar became vintage and even if it wasn't, it wouldn't matter to me.

It just seems like a lot of unnecessary work routing and drilling holes on a single pup guitar when plenty of dual pup guitars with selector switches already exist. It would have been easier to trade it for a dual pup guitar.

Personally I think those SG with swimming pool routes and batwings are great. They allow you to use any pup configuration desired.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  7. Von Trapp

I feel the same way but in this case it just irks me that he didn't put the switches in the pickguard. But you're right, most likely they do more than just switch pickups on and off. As for the routing I can understand that sometimes you have an attachment to a particular guitar and would rather customize that one instead of getting another.