Agent 99: The 1999 Custom Shop '61 Les Paul Reissue.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SG Champagne, Aug 29, 2016.

1. SG Champagne

SG Champagne Active Member

2. SG Champagne

3. SG Champagne

4. SG Champagne

Here is the recently acquired "Agent 99". Now I have two Gibsons: a 1979 Gibson SG Standard and a 1999 Reissue of the 1961 Les Paul Custom, both with stock pickups: Tarbacks and Classic '57s. The 1961 Les Paul was available in Cherry and White. White finishes are opaque and show no wood grain. The Cherry finish is not opaque and you can see the wood grain. Agent 99's slim and curvy body is made from one piece of mahogany. Ebony fretboard.

I'd like to know more about the Gibson Custom Shop in and around 1999. Anybody have any good websites to share? Thanks.

Thanks to Colonel Mustard for suggesting the name Agent 99.

5. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Nice SG ,congrats.

6. Delboy

Delboy Well-Known Member

Nice guitar, congratulations.

SG Champagne likes this.
  7. SG Champagne

Thanks. Total cost with shipping was $2,000. I think that's a very good price for a Gibson Custom Shop guitar.

I am trying to learn as much as I can about the Gibson Custom Shop. I have read everything about it on the Gibson.com website. Any other places for me to find more? Thanks.

8. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

WOW -----just FRIGGIN WOW ------ I always thought Agent 99 was sexy----but DAMN!

Dave and SG Champagne like this.
  9. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

I've always had a soft spot for a 3 pickup Custom. Very nice!

10. John61

John61 Active Member

Absolutely beautiful guitar.

11. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

This SG Custom is very nice, how much did you pay ?

12. SG Champagne

Shipping was $185 from Alaska. Guitar price $1850. I had Dunlop strap loks and a Stew Mac Freewar 6 way switch installed. I bought from a music shop, rather than an individual person. The music store is in Wasilla, Alaska and, from what I can tell from this sale, they are great folks. This guitar had one prior owner and I think he works at the store, because when I asked a question about the guitar, the previous owner was immediately at hand to provide an answer to John, the gent that I was dealing with on the sale.

My first inclination was to buy a white guitar of this kind. Then there was a price drop on Reverb for the one I bought. I started comparing and realized that this Cherry Custom was from 1999 but looked brand new with no fretwear that I could see in these photos. I saw no other wear. The white guitars had wear and tear, and some of them were not stock: pickups had been changed out, for example.

Finally, I discovered that the Cherry finish is transparent and shows the single piece of mahogany wood grain on the Custom Shop guitar. The white guitar white finish is, from what I can tell in photos, completely opaque AND quite thick. Plus, it looks to me that the white guitars sell for a higher price SO I went with this Cherry.

Later, I discovered on Gibson's website that the 1961 Gibson catalog for this guitar says that it was available in both Cherry and White.

If one has an opaque finish on a guitar, that's going to hide any seams indicating a two or three piece guitar body. So, I like the idea that my guitar has a transparent finish, even though the Custom Shop says all Custom Shop guitars of this time have one piece bodies, regardless of finish. At least, that is what the 2016 Custom Shop says. I am trying to do more internet reading on the Gibson Custom Shop in 1999 when my guitar was built. If anyone can direct me to some info in that area, I'd be thankful.

http://www.matanuskamusic.com/

13. SG Champagne

Agent 99 is not perfect. She does not stay in tune for very long. She looks like she will need to be re-tuned after every song at a gig. Unfortunate. In fact, my 1979 Norlin SG Standard does a much better job of staying in tune. Once a day is enough.

I'm not sure what's wrong with Agent 99, but, I will be trying to find ways to fix this problem. I live in West Louisiana near Fort Polk and there are no official Gibson-certified luthiers in my area.

14. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

First: New Strings... old dead strings will not stay in tune.

While the strings are off, lube the nut slots and the bridge saddles with something like
    StewMac's Guitar Grease, or Big Bend Nut Sauce. I use a home made mixture of vaseline and
    powdered graphite.

All my guitars need to be tuned before every song. I just always do it. My basses are the most
    stable, but I always check before each song.

Hope these suggestions help.
    Barbara_Feldon_Get_Smart_1966.jpg

15. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

16. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

He said 2000 shipped

Gibsg likes this.
  17. SG Champagne

I forgot to add that the music shop included the original Gibson guitar case.

18. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

re: strings. yes, self-locking method of wrapping around the tuner post and after installing them, stretch them puppies. I put a couple fingers under each string at the 12th fret and give them a good 2-3 inch (5-7 cm) tug, 10 times each string. Re-tune. Repeat 6 times. Beats the crap out of taking a week or more to settle in. Don't worry, they won't break unless you kinked them somehow while putting them on and no, it won't hurt the guitar.

19. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

I had a chance to buy a '64 three pickup SG custom from a floor mate when I was living in a dorm at college back ~ 1982-ish. He wanted 400 dollars for it. The finish had been stripped off and I'm not sure if it had anything on it at all or just bare wood. As far as I know the pickups were still original. But it had the maestro trem for which I have zero love so I passed.

20. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Col, You beat me to it. But I was gonna ask.

Did someone say, 99?
    [​IMG]