All Along The Watchtower

Discussion in 'Jams, Audio & Video Performances' started by Jimi Some Moore, Dec 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jimi Some Moore

Jimi Some Moore New Member

Happy New Year to You All !
    My tribute to Jimi played on my favourite guitar.
    Have a great 2021 !!

deMelo, Go Nigel Go and Chubbles like this.
  2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Very nice, but I think you should revisit the edit. Somewhere along the line your guitar part got delayed almost an entire phrase. Still, Jimi will be smiling.

Jimi Some Moore likes this.
  3. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Damn nice! That's saying alot when it comes to Hendrix. Basically, it's note for note.

That was always my favorite Jimi song because of those different parts using effects differently. Well Done!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  4. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

Very nicely done.

5. Jimi Some Moore

Exactly my thoughts, its a guitar orchestration of the finest. Its ironic that he didn't write it yet its probably my favourite Hendrix Song and Solo. To me it just never sounds dated and his slide guitar section still sounds spaced aged.

6. Jimi Some Moore

Thanks, do you mean the audio isn't in synch with the video ? If you check my Channel there are 2 videos, the first for some reason was out of sync, something went wrong in the You Tube upload. In the later video I thought I had got it in Sync ?

7. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

The video I was linked to appeared to be synched up just fine. Maybe just a passing internet issue? I have seen other videos that were out of synch one time, but viewing again later worked just fine. Nice playing anyway on a great song. I heard an interview with Dylan on the radio many years ago where he stated flat out that he though the Hendrix version was better than his original composition, and it had a huge influence on how he has played the song since then. Dylan wrote tons of great music, but skillful reinterpretation by another artist can often find room for improvement on even the most "perfect" song.

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Niiice !

9. Jimi Some Moore

Go Nigel Go, I had 2 versions of this, the first had some Lady 'bits' on it that someone took offence too. I left it on You Tube but have now taken that one down. When I uploaded the 'censored' version I noted it was out of sync and corrected. I'm not sure it is exactly spot on but its closer and from then I always double check video's are synced.

Some words from an article:

It’s safe to say that Dylan was blown away by Hendrix’s magnificent rendition of ‘Watchtower’ and even seems to agree with the consensus that the cover was the definitive version. “It overwhelmed me, really,” Dylan said. “He had such talent, he could find things inside a song and vigorously develop them. He found things that other people wouldn’t think of finding in there. He probably improved upon it by the spaces he was using. I took license with the song from his version, actually, and continue to do it to this day.”