Always Lift With Your Legs !!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by guitarweasel, Sep 17, 2007.

1. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

So Saturday I'm cleaning up my music room and I grab an amp head to put it on the 4X12 and !! POW !! this excruciating pain surges through my lower back, I drop the amp and wind up on the floor not being able to move. I finally make it to my office plop my stupid butt in my office chair and wait for my wife to come home.

After a 3 hour visit to the E.R. a shot of Demerol, a Valium, and some kind of muscle relaxer, I come back home and am now still sitting in my office chair because it's the only way I can get somewhat comfortable.

Conclusion......I re-injured a ruptured disk. I can hardy walk, I'm getting muscle spasms and I probably broke something in or on the amp. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. :iamwithstupid:

Moral of the story......When lifting something heavy, take your time and try to use your leg muscles....or have your roadie do it!!!!

Now I'm screwed for about a week until this heals. And the drugs didn't really help. Bummer. >:( :BangHead:

2. EveryMn

EveryMn Active Member

Get well soon?

3. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

bummer Weas, hope you get well soon. things just ain't seem to be going your way lately do they?

4. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Know what you're going thru Weas........ Baby it and take really good care because it will come back to haunt you if you're not careful. I have to watch what and HOW I lift otherwise I'd be in the same boat.......

Hang in there and take your meds! (And next time, get two roadies!)

5. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

Man that sucks! I can relate though as an over 40 guy I have had back issues in the past and so now am very anal about how I lift things. And even being careful, I still get the pain a few times every year. I think it is just paying the price for doing so much stupid lifting when i was younger.

Hope the muscle relaxers kick in and help things out. Also hope the amp ends up with minimal damage.

6. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

I haven't looked at the amp yet, it was in the road case, so I'll assume it's ok. I just wanted to let everyone know that even doing the simplest of things, you have to be careful :)

7. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

just take it easy and don't rush things weasel. I've never had to have any surgery for my back (knocks on wood) but know other guys who have and it is bad news. Much better to take things easy and give it a chance to heal.

If the amp was in a good road case, worse case scenario is probably you replace a couple tubes.

8. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

That really sucks. I hope you're feeling better soon.

9. LeftyDave

LeftyDave Member

Man do I ever know how that feels! I'm with ya weas, get well soon. I myself am just slowly recovering from a very similar pain, but caused by something totally different. A couple weeks ago I had just gotten to work, and the only parking spot was right next to all these steel pipes. I couldn't open my door all the way, so had to squeeze out of the car. I bent wrong and heard/felt this pop/crack in my lower back and that was it. All she wrote. Been walking around like an 80 yr. old man ever since. A trip to the chirocracker was useless. I felt worse!
    Just take it slow man, and stretch out as often and as far as possible. That helps more than anything for me. Keeps the muscles from spazzing out, which is most of the pain.

10. tpa

tpa Active Member

I am sorry to hear that, guitarweasel. I wish you quick recovery.

11. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

JESUS H. CHRIST WEAS.............LIFTING A HEAD IN A ROAD CASE ?
    DON'T CHA KNOW THAT WHAT WIVES ARE FOR........

Take it easy and don't do anything silly........let the back heal up ! ;)

12. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

so much pain that demoral didnt help? when i had appenicitus, i got that after bad chills, and it was some powerful stuff.

Anyways, hope your back feels better so you can get back rockin.

13. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Hope you're feeling better. Good thing that you have that nice, light '67 SG Special to play. I'd hate to see you do more damage trying to lift a Lester or a Strat. ;)

14. Six String

...... but at early onset it is suggested to play strictly air guitar..........

15. no prints

no prints Member

Feeling ya pain Dude! Been there also. What ever you do , stay away from the surgeons! Its a serious scam and will leave a cripple after the 3 ops. 1st 2 to chop off the excess disk inner interferring with your sciatic nerve and then the 3rd to graft bone from your thigh across the 2 or 3 vertabrae wich have no more support from the disks.

The best thing to do is rebuild the muscle that support the spine. The ones that run down the bottom of your back as well as the side and front ( gut). These, in good nick, will hold everything together and your problem will solved.

After my injury I went to chiroprators, massage people, accupuncture and all sorts of other healing types who could do nothing for me. After 9 months of serious sciatica and wicked pain, bad enough to stop me walking any where, I was introduced to a physiotherapist who fixed me in 2 months with exercise in his gym. Never layed 1 finger on me. Self healed.

He told me of the conspiracy of the 3 ops performed by the surgeons which nets them around $25-30K in this country. He also asked me, the first time I met the guy, "how much phsyical labour did I think we perfrom compared to 1 century ago?" I answered 50 % "wrong" 20% "wrong you'll never guess". 0.1% In our automated world these days the manual labour we have to do in our everday lives has become nearly non-existant. The body is suffering as a consequence. The muscles are not getting the attention they deserve, therefore they are not doing the job they were designed for, ie holding the skeleton together efficiently.

So get some excerises to beef up that central area. You'll quickly lose all the pain and it makes you feel good.
    Sorry to waffle on, but I t worked a treat for me.

16. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Weas, know how it feels.

I did the same 4 years ago, still can't sleep (or do anything else :cry:) on my back.

You'll hopefully be back in action in 2-3 weeks.

Best wishes.

17. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I've been laid up three times so far with severe back pain, bent over like an 80 year old, so I can imagine what your going through.

The first time my back went out the hospital gave me Panadeine Forte (i.e. Codeine) which dulled the pain very nicely, I mostly slept through it. In general, I find the drugs only mask the pain.

On avoiding the pain in the first place, I'm avoiding lifting heavy things. I sold my Fender Twin and bought a much lighter Bassman. I'm now thinking of getting a Boogie express 25:5 as an even lighter option.

Anyway hope you get better soon.

18. Red devil

Red devil Member

An igloo in the Canadian wilderness of Vancouver
    Get well...

19. Six String

Just out of curiosity Weas........ If your lay down on your back and try lifting the right leg and then the left leg, do you get a shooting pain thru your back? When I had my problem my right leg was fine but trying the left leg like to kill me.

The most important thing I found out about it is don't lay on your back and try to lift your legs.............! ;D

20. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I don't even know how I have a lower back left at the end of every day .. hurts every day along with the knees too ;D ... take it easy for a few days weas