Am I the only one with tuning stability on my Maestro?

Jess 1971

Reaction score
Like with any guitar model, there are going to be variations from instrument to instrument. I recently got a new Maestro SG 61 Standard and it was kind of a disaster. The neck was badly bowed, the nut wasn't great, and it had other issues. So I exchanged it for another, and that one wound up being terrific. That said, the Maestro is not really the most perfect tremolo unit going, so there are always going to be some compromises with it. Maybe some of you get lucky and the guitar is awesome right out of the box, but I would think that most of these guitars are going to need at least some attention.

As nice as my (replacement) guitar is, I still needed to send it off to my tech for a proper setup and a pro nut filing. And the jury is still out on whether I am going to replace the bridge with another version with nylon saddles as well.

Jess 1971

Reaction score
This video was also pretty illuminating. I'm not sure if I'm ultimately going to switch to roller saddles, but he talks about some other issues besides just the saddles that contribute to these guitars' instability

Relic61

Reaction score
Fenders are just silly and the rest are just stupid

Now that seems like a silly thing to say!

I'm certain Jeff Beck doesn't find Fenders Tremolo's 'silly' does he?
And as for "the rest being STUPID".. there are a lot of tremolos like the Kahler & the Stetsbar that work Stupid Good & hold stupid great tune.

You can usually bet that using words like 'Stupid' & 'Silly' when engaged in overgeneralizing critique, somebody is usually going to have to call you out on it.

"I hate" or "I Think / Feel" are opinions & everybody is certainly entitled to those. Negative over-generalization however.. well, here we are aren't we?

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting

And as for "the rest being STUPID".. there are a lot of tremolos like the Kahler & the Stetsbar that work Stupid Good & hold stupid great tune.

You can usually bet that using words like 'Stupid' & 'Silly' when engaged in overgeneralizing critique, somebody is usually going to have to call you out on it.

"I hate" or "I Think / Feel" are opinions & everybody is certainly entitled to those. Negative over-generalization however.. well, here we are aren't we?

Fender trems have one huge advantage over the Gibson ones. The strings don't slide over the bridge. That adds hugely to the stability.

Von Trapp

Reaction score

That's ok, I firmly believe in not voicing an opinion I'm not prepared to argue or take a sock in the kisser for. Haven't found any info on how Jeff Beck feels about Fender trems but perhaps, like me, he just uses them even though he finds them silly. One thing though that sets us apart is that he has someone setting up his guitars and I don't which makes me opt for a trem I just have to slap on and never have to set up, then or ever. Interestingly the very first LP I got was Blow By Blow, on my 11th birthday, where he has no trem at all on the cover. The year after, I got Fanny Adams by Sweet so things went uphill or downhill depending on your outlook on life.

I'm not even gonna voice my opinion on that, much less worded as a fact, because some people may take offence when they don't realize that any statement worded as such, that is not quantifiable, is just that; an opinion. Still, I dare anyone to present a trem that does the same things a Vibrola does, as good, and is as simple or simpler. Until then; Vibrolas are the best trems - fact.

Lynurd Fireburd

Reaction score
I can walk over to my rack and pick up my Maestro equipped guitar and it might be off a scootch. Maybe.

Trogly's developing into a cult of pre-teens. Between the horrible lust over everything flamed with candy finishes and gizmos, he's just unwatchable. He goes through an insane amount of gear.

Yes, I rolled my eyes any time he's touched a Maestro equipped guitar. The guy spends 30 seconds on it and he's already written it off.

I like to listen for weights, specs, etc. His voice & gesturing is just too much anymore.

JACK N HILL

Reaction score
That's ok, I firmly believe in not voicing an opinion I'm not prepared to argue or take a sock in the kisser for. Haven't found any info on how Jeff Beck feels about Fender trems but perhaps, like me, he just uses them even though he finds them silly. One thing though that sets us apart is that he has someone setting up his guitars and I don't which makes me opt for a trem I just have to slap on and never have to set up, then or ever. Interestingly the very first LP I got was Blow By Blow, on my 11th birthday, where he has no trem at all on the cover. The year after, I got Fanny Adams by Sweet so things went uphill or downhill depending on your outlook on life.

I'm not even gonna voice my opinion on that, much less worded as a fact, because some people may take offence when they don't realize that any statement worded as such, that is not quantifiable, is just that; an opinion. Still, I dare anyone to present a trem that does the same things a Vibrola does, as good, and is as simple or simpler. Until then; Vibrolas are the best trems - fact.

Have you tried the Duesenberg Les Trem II Tremolo ? I bought the SG Maestro for its Chrome looks and am really glad that the Maestro works Great and stays in tune just fine. But all of the other Gibson’s I have tremolos on have the Doozy LT II. and for $125 , IMO, its as good, many say its the best, as any Trem out there. it is not the best looking piece of Chrome I have seen, but it works like a charm and is priced agreeably.I’ll not be swappin out the Maestro for a Doozy, no way, no need to! but I have not a single regret about any of the 3 LT-II’s I bought and highly recommend them, certainly over a Bigsby anyday for functionality and price. I went the roller bridge route, twice, just to see what the dealio was all about but in the end analysis,I took em all off and got rid of them....Stock Nashville’s and ABR’s are fine with me.

Von Trapp

Reaction score
No, it looks a little too wacky for my taste. The only one I ever saw that perhaps could have given the Vibrola a run for its money was the Schaller 4201 but alas they don't make them no more.

Edit: Oh, wait, it's mounted on the bridge posts so no, that one's silly too I'm afraid.

Last edited:

JACK N HILL

Reaction score
IF, you get one of the LT-II's , I think you will end up unable to deny , even if you do not like the looks of it, that they are certainly one of , if not THE, best tremolo's out there.
That is certainly my opine on them. The Maestro I have is great as well. Both Stellar performers w/correctly cut nut.W/the Maestro being much better looking, in chrome too? its the **** !!.
My first Tremolo was a Floyd on a Ibanez, learning how to set them up was cool as I no longer need anyone to set it up for me every time a string broke.

And Bigsby, OMG, that B5 Horseshoe thing surely looks great but the virbramate under it makes it stick out ,IMO, itssa POS.
I still have a Bigsby, a B3, I think it is, w/Towner tension bar, over $225....they Look COOL, but they suck (I have my helmet on, so the tomatoes wont hurt!), setting them up, always going out of tune....I've tried to sell it, no one wants it....or so it seems.

The Doozy LT-II,The simplicity of them, and the fact that if the NUT is cut correctly, it will stay in tune as well as anyone can expect a Tremolo to stay in tune, just like my SG Maestro, the lil cannon.

What is the problem you have with the Stop-Bar post mounting of the LT-II ?I dont know if I get the 'silly' part ?I mean, its not great looking, but where else are they going to mount it ? Was it U mentioned Hag O' Port or something? I failed to grasp that as well.

IDK if the pic will apear of my 2017 SG Standard, these websites and the limits on pic sizes...but I put a Doozy on it, and it fuckin ROCKS, might be my best USA line Gibson, excepting a certain '17 Lester that cost twice as much.

JACK N HILL

Reaction score
IF, you get one of the LT-II's , I think you will end up unable to deny , even if you do not like the looks of it, that they are certainly one of , if not THE, best tremolo's out there.
That is certainly my opine on them. The Maestro I have is great as well. Both Stellar performers w/correctly cut nut.W/the Maestro being much better looking, in chrome too? its the **** !!.
My first Tremolo was a Floyd on a Ibanez, learning how to set them up was cool as I no longer need anyone to set it up for me every time a string broke.

And Bigsby, OMG, that B5 Horseshoe thing surely looks great but the virbramate under it makes it stick out ,IMO, itssa POS.
I still have a Bigsby, a B3, I think it is, w/Towner tension bar, over $225....they Look COOL, but they suck (I have my helmet on, so the tomatoes wont hurt!), setting them up, always going out of tune....I've tried to sell it, no one wants it....or so it seems.

The Doozy LT-II,The simplicity of them, and the fact that if the NUT is cut correctly, it will stay in tune as well as anyone can expect a Tremolo to stay in tune, just like my SG Maestro, the lil cannon.

What is the problem you have with the Stop-Bar post mounting of the LT-II ?I dont know if I get the 'silly' part ?I mean, its not great looking, but where else are they going to mount it ? Was it U mentioned Hag O' Port or something? I failed to grasp that as well.

IDK if the pic will apear of my 2017 SG Standard, these websites and the limits on pic sizes...but I put a Doozy on it, and it fuckin ROCKS, might be my best USA line Gibson, excepting a certain '17 Lester that cost twice as much.
Pic wont post, oh well.

Von Trapp

Reaction score

Pic wont post, oh well.

No, I meant the Schaller 4201 mounts on the bridge posts. But I get it if you have an LP style guitar, then the Vibrola is out and you have to figure something else. So possibly the LT is what you have then, although I might have gone for the Schaller still, I'm undecided. I have Kahlers and Fenders but too much hassle for my taste, I go with the Vibrola any chance I get. The one in my pic doesn't take them so its either a Kahler or something I'm working on myself, waiting for it to return from routing in China. (because cheap, and I don't know if it works)

Spiral

Reaction score
My '64 RI Standard was a bit temperamental when I first got it, but I'm glad I persevered with it. When I first start playing it, I might have to tweak the tuning, but it seems to stabilise and lock in after that. I only use the arm for a vibrato on a chord though - I use my fingers for single note vibrato.

Spiral

Reaction score
Just wanted to say, I played my '64 RI for 1 1/2 hours at a 21st last night. Barely a fraction flat or sharp. Playing in standard also (that guitar is usually Eb). I was very satisfied with it.

Too bad my playing was scheiße.

Latest posts