Amp for Home

Zushin

Reaction score
Hi there,

So I'm looking to buy an amp just for practice around the house and wanted to get your guys opinion about a couple of amps. I was looking at the following:

- Fender Mustang II
- Roland Cube 40XL
- Marshall MG30FX

The types of music I like to play are the usual, AC/DC, Zeppelin, Clapton, Metallica, etc.

I'm currently leaning towards the Mustang, but I've heard some bad things about it's higher gain settings. Thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

WavMixer

Reaction score
I have a mustang I and it is not a bad amp for the price and for practicing at home. It does have many presets and you can tweak them a bit to get a lot of different tones from it. However I have had a problem getting the FUSE modeling software to work correctly on my main computer. I am not the only person to have problems with this software...

http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=44394

mikeystool

Reaction score
[quote author=Zushin link=topic=21608.msg259189#msg259189 date=1304484753]
Hi there,

So I'm looking to buy an amp just for practice around the house and wanted to get your guys opinion about a couple of amps. I was looking at the following:

- Fender Mustang II
- Roland Cube 40XL
- Marshall MG30FX

The types of music I like to play are the usual, AC/DC, Zeppelin, Clapton, Metallica, etc.

I'm currently leaning towards the Mustang, but I've heard some bad things about it's higher gain settings. Thoughts?

Thanks for your time.
[/quote]whats your price range? do you have effects pedals?

Zushin

Reaction score
[quote author=mikeystool link=topic=21608.msg259191#msg259191 date=1304499435]
whats your price range? do you have effects pedals?
[/quote]

$300-600 AUD. The Mustang II costs 350 here, just as a reference point.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
I think in that general price range... you might want to look at the vox hybrids as they offer alot of bang for the buck. Roland cubes are generally good stuff too though. Now if this is strictly a practice amp and you really wan't to focus on building your skills with the amp instead of tone, take a look at the Fender gdecs. I picked one up used on craigs list for $75 and it is a great practice tool. Tone sucks on it but i strictly use it to practice and all the backing tracks, etc are great for that.

Spunky

Reaction score
I doubt you will hear any praise for the small Marshall amps.

The VOX AD30VT is a wonderful and inexpensive home amp. It has lots to play with and sounds great.

sgtbeefheart

Reaction score
How about 2 watts to keep the neighbours sweet?

$329.99 Head and Cab., or maybe less on eBay.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtDaqJssqoA[/youtube]

oldrockfan

Reaction score
I have the big brother to that little night train and it is capable of some really good rock tone. If the lil one is anything like the regular one, that would be a good option.

dbb

Reaction score
That clip of the Vox LNT shows that it has a lot of tonal range and sounds pretty damn good. I didn't think it would do a clean/very light drive sound so well, most of what I'd seen had featured the more distorted end of the spectrum.

Sometimes I think think this is the "golden age" of amps, there are so many options now between major makers, boutique makers, modeling amps, old amps, DIY, etc.

sgtbeefheart

Reaction score
[quote author=dbb link=topic=21608.msg259203#msg259203 date=1304567865]
That clip of the Vox LNT shows that it has a lot of tonal range and sounds pretty damn good. I didn't think it would do a clean/very light drive sound so well, most of what I'd seen had featured the more distorted end of the spectrum.

Sometimes I think think this is the "golden age" of amps, there are so many options now between major makers, boutique makers, modeling amps, old amps, DIY, etc.

[/quote]

Yes, that review suggests the amp is better than other reviews, though when I read Zushin's post,
and his musical tastes, I thought he wouldn't be too bothered about "Clean". :)

Your comment about amps has conjured up a picture in my mind of live metal bands, with big, hairy, scary,
guys with nothing behind them but tiny amps, miked up. ;D

Zushin

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys, definitely helpful :D Just before I go... so nobody here has much experience with the Mustang then I take it?

dbb

Reaction score
[quote author=mikeystool link=topic=21608.msg259205#msg259205 date=1304585971]
being a fender guy for amps, is for the http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/productDetail/productDetail.jsp?src=3WWRWXGB&entProductId=483069
[/quote]

I agree, mikeystool, nice small amp...I probably should have gotten the Vibro Champ model rather than this, although I really do like the Champion:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Champion600

Champion600-xlarge.jpg

In retrospect the tone control would be a welcome addition, but even as is the 600 is cool for clean tone fans, although it does break up a bit more from 7-10, just like a Twin or Showman. I've been using the extension speaker outlet to run 2 8" Jensen speakers and it really opens up the sound from the single 6", which I upgraded to a Jensen Mod rather than the OK at best stock speaker. (I'm not a big speaker distortion fan, that sounds just bad to my ears in my rig, though some great rock has used it).

Evidently the fact that the 600 does sound more "Twin-ish" has spawned a whole sea of amp mod aftermarket parts and kits for the Champion.

Definitely NOT for gain enthusiasts.

dbb

Reaction score
[quote author=sgtbeefheart link=topic=21608.msg259206#msg259206 date=1304591842]
Your comment about amps has conjured up a picture in my mind of live metal bands, with big, hairy, scary,
guys with nothing behind them but tiny amps, miked up. ;D
[/quote]
;D ;D

with a wall of fake Marshall stacks behind them?

Laney1566

Reaction score
[quote author=Voxman link=topic=21608.msg259210#msg259210 date=1304642891]
We don't need no freekin` neighbors!
DSCN6546.jpg

[/quote]

You da man!!!

mikeystool

Reaction score
[quote author=dbb link=topic=21608.msg259208#msg259208 date=1304618941]
I agree, mikeystool, nice small amp...I probably should have gotten the Vibro Champ model rather than this, although I really do like the Champion:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Champion600

Champion600-xlarge.jpg

In retrospect the tone control would be a welcome addition, but even as is the 600 is cool for clean tone fans, although it does break up a bit more from 7-10, just like a Twin or Showman. I've been using the extension speaker outlet to run 2 8" Jensen speakers and it really opens up the sound from the single 6", which I upgraded to a Jensen Mod rather than the OK at best stock speaker. (I'm not a big speaker distortion fan, that sounds just bad to my ears in my rig, though some great rock has used it).

Evidently the fact that the 600 does sound more "Twin-ish" has spawned a whole sea of amp mod aftermarket parts and kits for the Champion.

Definitely NOT for gain enthusiasts.

[/quote]i agree with you! ;) i wish i pulled the trigger on that too, i too got the 600 too, which i do love..i use a boss eq pedal for tone control, and a big muff for dirt..i pretty much use it when im outside on the screen porch in the nice weather, otherwise ill hit the mancave with my deville where i can crank it a bit more.. 8)...the 600 is great out of a 4x12 cab, i do that once in a while..for the money, great fender tone..the vibro may be my next amp though, its cheap enough , im gonna get it at some point..and yeah, the 600 not for gain peeps.. thats what pedals are for..but you cant get a pedal for the sweets cleans this gives :p