Amp GAS

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by RVA, Oct 25, 2015.

1. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

As you may recall from another thread, I recently had an episode with my Peavey amp. Thanks to you good folks, she is good as ever.

However, during my "what if" period of uncertainty about the repair, I looked for possible replacements. I am sure it is not a ssurprise to anyone that I found one. Now I can't shake the want for my selection.

I own multiple guitars, but I have never had amp gas before. It seems like a dangerous path - more costly to maintain and more room to store than a few "extra" guitars.

Are there any resident amp addicts that can guide me in my time of confusion. Of course, all this might just be a desperate search for an enabler, so I will be happy to hear from those too!!

2. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's time to audition a viable spare amp. What are you gassing for?

3. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

Please don't start this. It's already hard enough keeping up with my addiction to guitars. If I start collecting amps as well I'll soon be in the poor house.

I'd look for a decent SS amp to complement the Peavey. What depends on where you will be using it.

4. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Dare I???? Oh man RVA----you are certainly opening a Pandoras box.......

As thatbastard said ----whay are you pining for????
    Tube... SS ...combo of both ???
    Do you want WATTAGE or a bedroom practice amp ???? What will this new VOX AC10 be used for oops.....no thats what I AM gasing for lol
    well or maybe an Orange Micro Terror....or dark Terror......oh maybe a Killer ANt (send it to my Frankd)

5. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

I have discovered....MESA!

Yes, I know, not exactly a startling discovery, but they have so many amps of such great quality, it is easy to get lost. They also vary significantly from the Marshall/Peavy action I presently have (which are pretty much in the same camp). In particular, the 5:50 Express 2x12 seems to suit my tastes. There are plenty of them around at great prices.

Karathas likes this.
  6. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

7. thatbastarddon

MESA makes some mighty fine amps indeed! One of the best amps ever to grace my studio mic's was a DC5...awesome sauce galore.

8. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

9. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

My best bet at rationalizing this was the 5W option offered by the 5:50. You know, I say to the wife..."but honey, this plays at 5W, so it will not be as loud, just like YOU wanted". However, I have come to learn the the 5W option of a switchable 5:50 changes more in terms of headroom than volume. Is this accurate?

10. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

11. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

12. thatbastarddon

I just repaired one...nice amp...what it does, it does well, but that thing that it does is NOT clean.
    The repair need was brought on by a failed, and ignored power tube. The fuses are hardwired to the pc boards. I replaced a couple with fuse holders, and properly spec'd fuses...no problems for a couple of months now.
    I've read that the power scaling feature can be troublesome if used while playing at higher volumes.

13. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

<<<<<< For official clarification... the term GAS in this reference does NOT refer to the normal "Guitar Acquisition Syndrome" but is more properly applied to the second alternative meaning of "Getting Amp Syndrome". Both are highly contagious if not properly cared for. Please use extreme caution! >>>>>>>

eS.G. and RVA like this.
  14. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Tell me about it. Thirty+ and no end in sight. :D

RVA likes this.
  15. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

Clean is what I am after, I have plenty of dirty from the Marshall and an array of pedals. Mesa seems to fall closer to the Fender area while still lending itself to modern applications. Man, I got it bad. How do you discreetly tuck away a 2x12? Don't worry, I know they answer, you don't!

16. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Johnny Goo all ready fell prey--------I will not let the JR out of the bag though he can

17. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I've had the GAS for a Peavey JSX ever since I saw one nearby second-hand that was cheap (but not in my price range at the moment, which with credit card debt and bills is pretty close to zero).

RVA likes this.
  18. thatbastarddon

You make it look like furniture...coffee table, end table...

RVA likes this.
  19. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

Peavey is HIGHLY underrated, which provides for a lot of good second hand deals.

20. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

Brilliant! However, I feel like the price just went up 30%. I need a wood cabinet!