Amp GAS

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by RVA, Oct 25, 2015.

1. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

Um, sorry about totally missing the point of Esg's post. I can be rather self-absorbed when I am excited!!!!

2. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Active Member

Don't worry... It can be read, both ways.

We do have your back. If anyone asks, how many amps do you really need? Start at any "Show us your setup!" on any of these forums.

There's a topic on the Gibson board right now, guy wanting to unload his guitar collection, to buy more guitars. He currently has 107.

No, that's not a typo.

So, no worries. We do have your back. And now you have another amp, to help shore up the support. :D

syscokid and RVA like this.
  3. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

That's insane. I'm around the thirty mark counting steel guitars, basses, and other stringed instruments. Since I don't play as much as I used to, I would like to sell a few. Even though it took me 35+ years of playing to accumulate all of them, they were never really intentionally sought out. I'd see one that I like and played it for a while (usually returning to the shop a couple of times to be sure), then having the debate of "Do I really need this, and what space will it fill in the sonic palette of what I'm doing with the current band or future projects?"

There are only two guitars that I would want to purchase after selling a few, and those would be an ES-335/ES-345 of some sort and a nice six string acoustic.

But 107? He must have a lot of money and a big house. I'd never be able to fit those in my place.

4. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Active Member

Over 60 of them are Ovation Applause. He said he wants to start there, but he's so sick of them... he says they ALL have to go (the Ovations). LOL!

His basement is all guitars, on the walls, floors, in cases, not in cases, on stands, laying on the floor. He keeps like 3 in the livingroom, 2 in the kitchen. He was also only counting electric, acoustic guitars basses. I don't think he counted lap steel, violins, banjos, etc. They live on some acreage with more than one standing building so sounds like he has them out there to.

RVA likes this.
  5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

It's heeeeere ... pics to follow soon.
    I need a speaker cable. Any speaker cable will do it the gauge is big enough ?

frankd and RVA like this.
  6. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

------BRuce--er Caitlin Jenner has you excited then mate? :shock:

7. DrBGood

[​IMG]

Gahr and eS.G. like this.
  8. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

OH that is friggin sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

GibsonKramer likes this.
  9. DrBGood

First impressions after noodling it for ½ hour.
    Takes humbuckers better than P90s. Not good. I like my P90s.
    Definition between pickup selection is not great with my two P90 guitars.
    '50 CV Squier Strat doesn't punch much.
    Looks like a one trick pony up to now.

I'll give it some time.
    To be followed ...

I have to say I'm spoiled with the little AD30VT Vox.

eS.G. likes this.
  10. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Modelinbg amps----compared to tube jobbers---bring a TON of tone for the $ and compact package. ;)

11. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Yep I would think about a tube change whats in there because my Handsome devils both sound awesome with
    single coils and p90 they like them more than hum buckers for sure but I also have a green back in the combo
    and use a gh12 anniversary with the other. and I had a marshall and a jtm marshall plexi clone and still
    have a another plexi to compare them with.

12. DrBGood

Well ... another ¾ hour, a little of this, a little of that, and Sparks from Live At Leeds sounds better all of a sudden.
    OK, I can go to bed knowing I got a good deal today.

By the way, where is that tube suitcase, that floated around here for a while ? Or is it over there ...

13. DrBGood

I've got to admit it's getting better
    A little better all the time

[​IMG]

RVA likes this.
  14. DrBGood

Ooops ... wrong image.
    The reverb mod on it is OK only if used at minimal level, but it gives a little space to the tone. Perfect, one less pedal to buy.
    Hard to believe a 12'' fits in that cabinet. The Vox beside it has a 10''.

I got my hacked First Act back out and it rocks with its Gibson P90Slugs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  15. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

I own 2 C50s one 212 and one 410. Honestly it's one of the best amps I've ever played through. Speaker upgrades highly recommended on 212 one.

So how you liking yours? I like the thumpiness of my 212 a bit more than my 410 but the 410 has it's own thing going. And plugging it into an external 112 really helps.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  16. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

So far I love the 410. The 4 speakers really fill out the room with a great mid emphasis but a tight low end that always seemed to be absent in a Fender to my ears. I have it on an A/B switch with my Marshall JVM 2x12 and it is night and day, which is great for variety and to justify my purchase. The Marshall seems to have much more low end by nature.

The new version has a foot switchable boost, which is a nice feature.

I already bought a new tube set as recommended at the Peavey forum to get the "classic" sound, but have not put then in yet as I am very happy as-is. I may just save it as my backup.

The ony issues I have are minor. The top mounted controls are difficult to use unless the amp is on the floor and the light print is almost impossible to read. This will get easier when I know the amp better. The OD is not great but who cares, I have great pedals.

In a nutshell, I love it!!!!

17. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

In my Classic 50s I run a 5751 in V1, an NOS GE JAN 12AX7WA in V2 and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in V3. The 5751 gives me great pick response (think chickin' pluckin country stuff on a tele) the NOS GE JAN gives the overdrive a much smoother sound with a nice ripping tone to it, and the 12AX7LPS just works. The power tubes in my 4x10 are a mismatched collection of American OS tubes. Most anything works there but I really like the old American glass in the 4x10 power section.

There's a tube collection floating around here somewhere that I started (classifieds? I think so). See if you can get in line.

18. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

Thanks! In the past I have only swapped tubes if there was an issue, but maybe it is time for that to change.