Amp Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by volktar, Apr 29, 2020.

1. volktar

volktar Member

So.... I think it's time for a new amp.
    I have enjoyed my Peavy Valve King head, but it just doesn't really do it anymore, and it doesn't seem to like my SG Special a whole lot. The head room leaves me feeling like Shaq in a hobbit house. Anything above 3 and I run the risk of breakup unless I'm using my tele. It sounds great when overdrive is what I'm going for, but the cleans have been tough to nail - specifically with humbuckers (and to an extent p90s).

In that I look for some recommendations. There arent any music stores open for me to check things out sadly.

I'm thinking something fendery for some nice cleans and headroom. I also love Mesa, but not sure how well they will play with the mini-hums. Tempting though.

What are yalls thoughts? Those of you using mini-hum SGs - what do you use?

2. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

If you need headroom and want that Fender sound, I'd recommend one of the Twin or Deluxe Reverb Tone Master amps. I picked up the Twin version just before everything came to a halt. If you're not familiar with these, basically Fender modeled both amps so they're solid state and they're about 1/3 of weight of the regular tube amps. They sound surprisingly awesome. Plus they have a built in attenuator so you can run 85w, 40w, etc all the way down to 1w. It takes overdrive pedals like a champ and I've even run the Helix into it using effects only and it can handle some heavy distortion too. Overall it's pretty versatile but it's main selling point is it does the Twin Reverb sound damn near perfectly.

Edited to add I haven't run mini-hums through it but it sounds great with vintage p-90s, all types of Gibson humbuckers, as well as single coils.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Astral Traveler likes this.
  3. living room rocker

living room rocker Active Member

I've been happy with my Boss Katana Mk II 100 1x12. I'm not experienced with a wide range of amps or guitars, so take my comments with caution. It's cheap @ $360, solid state, has a host of onboard effects, and Boss's online program Tone Studio offers several liveset and tweaking possibilities. The Mk II offers channel variations that mimic Fender cleans better than the previous version. It's more than loud for my purposes, but offers attenuation down to .5 watt.

4. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

All Day Every Day.

5. chilipeppermaniac

and Twice on Sunday

6. chilipeppermaniac

7. chilipeppermaniac

8. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Active Member

I have a Quilter overdrive 200 and a BluGuitar Amp 1. They'd both do what you want and more. Right now I'd have to say the Amp 1 is my favorite and I consider flipping the Quilter. Still on the fence about that.

9. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

What's the price range?

10. chilipeppermaniac

11. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

That's the key question. Lots of good suggestions so far covering a wide range of prices. That The Twin looks pretty awesome.

12. chilipeppermaniac

Chutebox, I have one, and donepearce has one Red Knob The Twin.

Oh and it also has a 1/4 power Switch feature. from 100 w down to 25

13. volktar

volktar Member

Price is pretty flexible. I have a lady that is pretty supportive of my addiction. She doesn’t even want me to sell the current amp! :cheers:

14. volktar

volktar Member

FWIW, I prefer tubes. I just need more headroom that what I have. That’s why O tend to think Fender is a good starting point. I’d be running the SG Special, a Strat, a Tele, a p90 Guild and maybe even the ole Schecter with some buckers in it. SG is m main axe, but I like to mix it up from time to time.

15. OBX351

OBX351 New Member

FWIW, I owned a '65 Firebird that ended up being stashed away because I didn't like the amount of treble the minis and the amps I was using at the time, JCM45 clone and a Peavey classic 30 stack. About five to ten years later, and after trading the Firebird for '64 SG Std, I bought a Louis Electric Gattone. That amp would have been perfect for the Firebird. So depending on how much you want to spend, $2k or so, you can still find these on the used market and they are fantastic amps. The other LE is the KR12, and the Columbia Reverb, I believe this is a redo of his Princetone, .

This video, especially at 6:18, does some justice to the Princetone, especially considering video/audio limitations. Anyway, all three have nice headroom and cover tweed to black face Fender tones well. Louis is one of the best vintage fender boutique amp builders out there. The other amp is the Swart Antares might also be something to consider. I love Mike's amps. All of these amps should be able to be found for at or under $2k used and can be flipped for the same price if you don't like them.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  16. chilipeppermaniac

volktar, Now I know this is not a tube amp, but it is well reputed and you could always likely pick one up fairly cheaply.

Ever tried or heard a roland JC120. Famously clean amp

17. chilipeppermaniac

18. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

With the price being flexible as you say (i.e., money's no object), definitely check out the Carr website, they make beautiful point-to-point tube amps with a variety of wattages, speakers, tubes, American and Brit oriented. I currently have a real hankering for their Sportsman model (~ $2,000 US give or take), that one may be too low a wattage for your needs (16-19) but there's several other higher-wattage models.

19. volktar

volktar Member

Yall have really put alot of thoughts in this head!
    I may have to get with my local luthier (only guitar dude in 100m radius, ha!) and see what he could build me. He's had quite the career building amps over the last few decades. Ill have to check out some other stuff too! He has a sexy vintage ampeg in his shop that is wicked expensive (few grand easy) but looks dead sexy. Havent plugged into it out of fear of falling in love! ha!

20. volktar

volktar Member

Local shop has one of these in it. It has a great sound to it. Warm. Breaks nicely. Has a great overdrive sound when dimed.
    This isnt the exact one, but same model. Late 60s Ampeg Portaflex SB-12. Seems they are pretty sought after. Havent made up my mind yet, but its on my list. He has a 5E3 in too that Ill check out later today.