Amp Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by volktar, Apr 29, 2020.

1. volktar

volktar Member

2. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

3. volktar

volktar Member

Plugged into that Ampeg again today. Swapped out the chinese tubes with some better ones he had laying around. Man - does it sound good. Im gonna keep my eye out, but that thing may be the one. Such a great warm sound. Really digging it. +5 pts for glowing too, haha

4. Turned Into a Martian

Turned Into a Martian New Member

I’ve got a Peavy Classic 50 that does great clean with a solid crunch channel. USA made and reasonable price.

You sound pretty set but for any other potential SG players in need of a tube amp: don’t overlook used Peavy

5. volktar

volktar Member

Ha, Peavey is what I’m using now. Peavey ValveKing 20mh. Good little time amp. Way better than the massive 200w Solid state Randall I had prior. Not gonna get rid of her. Gonna pick up some new tubes for her and make the kids play with me!

Turned Into a Martian likes this.
  6. Turned Into a Martian

Turned Into a Martian New Member

I repeatedly spelled Peavey wrong. Nice.

7. volktar

volktar Member

I wouldnt had noticed if you didnt mention it!

8. volktar

volktar Member

Here’s the actual Ampeg that is local. The above was an internet photo. Interesting thing with this one is the speaker location. It’s centered whereas most that I see online have an offset speaker. There doesn’t appear to be any modifications. It appears factory.

The market seems to be 1k- 1200 for these. Not sure what I’ll offer him yet.
    50086CB6-8AC4-4252-9BFC-5C3A00CFD4D7.jpeg

9. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

I’ve always found Laney amps to have the golden combination of fendery cleans with massive Marshall on steroids overdrive. If you’re in the US though they seem to be really expensive. Here in the U.K. and Europe you can get some great deals.
    I paid £350 20 years ago for my used VH100R tube head and that was the flagship model for years before they got into modelling/hybrid tech.
    Last year I found the VC50 which is the exact same amp as my head in 50watt 2x12 combo form and I paid £130 on eBay for it!!! All tube. Ridiculous massive sounding amp, 2 channels each with switchable gain stage, so 4 different sounds straight off the floor, plus reverb!
    If you ever come across one, I highly recommend!

10. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

Want headroom? Here you go. JTM 45 or AC 30 either one has plenty
    JTMAC.JPG

11. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

The recent Supro’s are pretty good. I have a Neptune 2x12 - which was intended to be there “back line headroom” model so is a great base for pedals - which sounds great with my (full size) humbucker SG.

Would love a Black Magick for getting amp-drive going as well, though.

12. volktar

volktar Member

Ok, talk to me more about this Red Knob Twin...
    Seems like a decent amp. 25/100W modes. Great clean tone. There seem to be plenty on the market in the $4-600. Why so cheap? I see a lot of positive comments about them too.

Also, how loud is that 25W? This would be a flexible gigging amp with all the headroom youd ever need in 100W mode (and 25 if you need to get a bit crunchy)

13. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Well-Known Member

I have a black knob version of " the Twin " and it is heavy, loud and clean. Takes pedals well and has a dirt channel some hate, some almost hate. Usable reverb and came with a footswitch and the ability to blend both channels.

14. volktar

volktar Member

Other rigs Im looking into:
    Egnater Tweaker/Renegade
    H&K Tubemeister

Anyone have experience with these? Theres a Tubemeister 18 for sale near me that is pretty tempting.

15. cheshiergrin

I did a quick demo on my crappy phone just to get a bit of the gain channel at about the sweet spot. 25 watt watt mode, reverb on a bit no other effects on.

16. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Member

+1 for a deluxe or twin. If you’ve got some strength go for the twin. For me personally the weight worth it for the tone. I have the ‘65 reissue

17. volktar

volktar Member

For you "The Twin" owners - how is the breakup on it when you DO drive it? Both high and low lower?
    Its looking pretty tempting.

18. cheshiergrin

You can get the clean or regular channel to break up nicely but even on the 25 watt setting it's pretty loud when it happens.

19. cheshiergrin

A quick crappy demo of the "clean" channel on the 25 watt setting from low volume to loud as I could take it in my practice room. The recording does not reflect how loud it was. The amp does sound pretty good and really do not need anything else, so even though it is heavy you really only need to grab a guitar and the amp and 1 cable.

20. cheshiergrin

So I did a nother one with the gain channel and gain as high as it will go before getting mushy. I know the phone recording sucks and probably is not really worth ,much but I am having fun so what the hell here it is.