Amps - whatcha playin' these days?

gtone

Reaction score
I think all four of these are "keepers" as I'm quite happy with them:

1) '70 Marshall JMP Small Box 50W Lead (model # 1987) - "Captain Crunch"

2) '66 Fender Bassman 50W head (AB165) - great all rounder

3) '08 Phaez DaisyCutter 15W combo - near BF cleans to highly saturated gain in near "grab n go" size/weight

4) '11 Vintage 47 Ric Supreme 12W combo - roots/classic rock heaven in a true grab'n'go size/weight

JohnnyGoo

Reaction score
Orange Micro Terror

Playin this mostly.and have a Danelectro Honeytone.Blackheart Killer Ant and a Blackheart Little Giant in the mail .

Attachments

• 1418162054500.jpg
    1418162054500.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 26

DFLCC

Reaction score
Most of the time I am playing my Marshall DSL 100H w/ Marshall MX412 Cab @ 50W setting. It does it all for me.

On my room I have a 15W Fender Blues Jr. NOS. I love the little thing is a tone beast and takes pedals very well. IMHO Fender has the best spring reverbs ever.

I have a Marshall DSL 40C, but it spends a lot of time in the closet holding my guitar cases straight this days.

Also got a Orange Micro Terror, but have fallen out of grace lately. I am seriously considering changing the tube to experiment with the tones.

shreddy bender

Reaction score
I've been using my Orange Micro Terror as it is so convenient and sounds really good. It's perfect for rehearsals and small gigs.
My '68 Bassman is in dire need of some love. It needs to have a full on re-tube and the caps replaced and I just don't have the dough for that right now.
On Sunday I got to play through a Marshall JCM 900. MAN! I forgot how good it feels to hear my SG through a tube Marshall. I have owned 2 Marshalls in my life and rented one. They all died on me! I'd still love to have another one though!

Biddlin

Reaction score
picture.php
biddlin-albums-silverflake-picture68176-dscn0779.jpg

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

These clutter my abode, currently.
;>)/

dbb

Reaction score
Fender Super Champ XD

Peavey Vypyr VIP-2

Fender Champion 600 (for very small places!)

Yamaha G-100-III (for the larger places)

cybermgk

Reaction score
Amp that goes out and about Rivera Chubster 55 Combo with a WGS Veteran 30

In the home studio:
Modded Marshall DSL15H
Ampeg GVT15H Head
Blackstar ID:60 TVP Head
Main CAB Avatar 4x12 with Celestion G12H30s and WGS Veteran 30s
Have an Epiphone Valve Jr 1x12 CAB open Back and an H&K closed/ported 1x12 that I have a Vintage 30, Eminence Texas Heat and WGS ET90 depending on tone wanted.

Living Room:
Peavey Valve King II Micro Head and Hotone Heart Attack sharing a Jet City oversized closed/open back 1x12 (closed right now) with a G12H30 Celestion.

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
This is my favorite amp, I've owned (30 years of amps, including Marshall half-stack, Yamaha combo, Peavey half-stack, Fender Twin Reverb, plus a bunch of not noteworthy). I don't have the floorboard yet, but its in transit and pristine. So, pardon for substituting a pic of exactly what everything is. :D

Not saying its the best of all those amps, but its the best for me. Its the only one, to ever nail the sound I want and having owned tube amps, and other modeling amps... this is the only one, I can't tell the difference. People may be able to tell slight differences between the modeled amp and the real deal... but, if I dial up a tube amp and just tell someone its a tube amp, they're going to believe it. I can't say enough good things about this amp.

Only thing I would change, is I wish I had the Plus, that can run another cab and splits to 2x50w stereo), or the XL (2x12 100w stereo combo). But, finding them in this shape, is hard and the price was right. Its good enough for home use, or any people I might play with.

(excuse quality, best I could find of model with floorboard)
rig_setup_1x12_zps1c6aea30.jpg

And I just got this little number VT20+, but love its ability to create tube tones, though be very careful with the gain... these go into saturation overload... lol. I have to turn it down to like 4 on hi gain channels and I've always been one to crank gain to 10, regardless of what it is. I think its far superior to Blackstar's ID:Core line, with the tube tones. But, when you have at least a 12AX7, you can make the claim.

Vox03_zpse6850547.jpg

Have one more amp on my wishlist, but its a short list, so I have to decide what its going to be... AND Its kind of a wide-ranging list, as far as form factor.

Primary ones I'm looking at are; a used Blackstar HT-40 Limited Red Venue, HT-1R and HT-5R. Though, if I run across any other tube amps, that can shape the sound as well as Blackstar, I will certainly be open to that. I'm not impressed with Blackstar's (lack of) customer service.

dbb

Reaction score
A simple Roland Cube 80XL for jamming but most of the time I play these VSTs as I am more studio oriented nowadays:
Lepou-LE456.jpg

The Poulin is a pretty good amp VST. I'll use it on occasion too.

tpa

Reaction score
Peavey Bandit 1x12" which I use at home and at gigs. In the band rehearsal room I use a Vox AC4TV Mini 1x8" where also my Hartke Kickback 1x12" (bass amp) is stationed. The good old Selmer + K130 cabinet has been retired due to lack of lifting capacity of my roadie.

gball

Reaction score
Mostly my Rivera Pubster with Greenback 10 and Brake Lite
Quite often also play through a 73 Twin Reverb, Carvin V16 and occasionally I fire up an old Crate Palomino that has a really great clean, dry tone.

Latest posts