Amps - whatcha playin' these days?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by gtone, Dec 9, 2014.

1. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Oh Cool, a guitar of the week. It sure is a looker and I can almost hear the music coming out of it. What type of music do you play, Big Jilm?

big jilm likes this.
  2. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

That's frickin nice... congrats. Those are some seriously nice mods, too... :cheers:

big jilm likes this.
  3. big jilm

big jilm Active Member

Thanks! Bluesy rock, I guess. The band I am in does covers from Stones and The Grateful Dead all the way through The Church and Duran Duran, so versatility is important - and this guitar is pretty versatile.

4. lunchbox

lunchbox Active Member

2005 Epi LP Custom ----> Orange CR120H ----> 2xPPC112 = mini-stack win. This is more than enough to play most clubs w/o even being mic'd. The CR120 pushes A LOT of air and can get VERY loud.

Here's a link to my band, if anyone wants to check out some live recordings of what we're doing. They're a bit rough, and we don't have a singer yet, but you'll get the idea...https://www.reverbnation.com/javelinas9?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alexander paul, Gahr, jojo68 and 3 others like this.
  5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

NIce little bedroom low watt practice amp mate ;) Band sounds tight..... great stuff!

lunchbox likes this.
  6. lunchbox

lunchbox Active Member

Thanks!

I thought they were a little sloppy, but wth. We've only practiced about 10 times now.

7. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I've got my fingers crossed that Marshall expands on their mini series next year and releases more heads in addition to the mini jube they released this year. I'd like to see a mini JMP and JVM.

frankd likes this.
  8. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Yep nice amp been playing my Little CR 35 a lot of late and its awesome The CR series are Great SS amps.

lunchbox likes this.
  9. Robert Herndon

Robert Herndon Well-Known Member

New Tone Project - Running my DSL40C as primary, shooting a cable out of my DD-3 and running a Blackstar ID-Core 100 Watt 2X10" stereo as an effects mule... :-)

10. ChasFred

ChasFred Member

This my current setup. The Vox replaced a Deluxe Reverb. SG RIG.jpg SG RIG.jpg

11. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I just ran my Guitar Rig through this 30 watt bass amp 12" speaker ........ the Black Sabbath on the Sg NEVER sounded so good!
    marshall b.jpg

Then I plugged the same rig into my Hartke 60 watt bass amp----- scared the SHITE outta all the dogs......I think they thought it was an Earthquake ........its was just Sweet LEaf ;)

12. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Sweet setup. I play my SGs through a Vox AC30, and I used to use a Deluxe Reverb II. Vox are great amps!

ChasFred likes this.
  13. Robert Herndon

I've gone multi-amp crazy...

I can't get 'my tone' with small amps. For years I used a Marshall JTM45 half stack, then, in 1997, I 'downsized' to a 1997 Marshall VS265 2X12 and a JTM30 Combo. Now I have "downsized" again - this time, to a pair of DSL40C's...sold the JTM30 and gave the VS265 to my 8 year old after unsuccessfully selling it for $200 on E-bay.

I'm running a Boss CS-3 & GE-7 into DSL40C (Thing 1) with a Boss DD-3 Digital Delay and NS-2. I'm running DSL40C (Thing 2) from the direct output on the DD-3.

Thing 1 and Thing 2 have identical settings and both have 90 watt Creambacks. Thing 2 has only reverb and another NS-2.

This is my bedroom practice rig as well as live rig...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  14. ratsalad

ratsalad Active Member

I've been thinking about getting one of the DSL's... All I can anticipate doing is playing at home in the foreseeable future, so I was thinking about getting the DSL5C and throwing a G10 Greenback in it. But if a DSL40C sounds good at bedroom/apartment volumes, then I say maybe it would be more fun to go that route? :)

15. Goldmember

Goldmember Well-Known Member

Hi rat! I have the DSL15c. It's the perfect home and small gig amp, with only two necessary mods: G12 Greenback, and a JJ ecc823 in V1. You will dig it.

ratsalad likes this.
  16. Robert Herndon

I don't blast it...it sounds really good even at lower volumes....Funny..the DSL40C is brand new, but I am still using the same effects and boxes from the 1980's/1990's... IMG_20161030_36636.jpg IMG_20161030_6952.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    alexander paul and ratsalad like this.
  17. Robert Herndon

I don't play any smaller than this... IMG_20161007_51788.jpg

18. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

That's an interesting tube. . . First half is a 12AX7, second half is a lower gain 12AU7. I'm not familiar with the DSL15c. What does that tube bring to the table ?

19. Goldmember

Goldmember Well-Known Member

Hi sysco,

In V1, one half of the tube/valve is used by the classic gain (green) channel, the other half by the ultra gain (red) channel. With a standard ecc83, the classic channel gets a nice crunch, but the ultra channel suffers excessive gain levels, similar to "Lead 2" on the DSL 100h and DSL40c. The JJ ecc823 is designed to seriously reduce the gain of the ultra (somewhere around 75% reduction), while maintaining the original gain level of the classic. The result? Ultra gain now is much closer to "Lead 1" of the DSL 100h/DSL40c, rather than "Lead 2", which it was designed to emulate. I really dig having more control of the insane level of gain onboard for the ultra (red) channel!

There are guys doing all kinds of mods to achieve a similar effect, snipping C19 and replacing resistors, etc... I find that a simple V1 valve change is all I need. Now, where the green channel ends, the red channels begins.

syscokid likes this.
  20. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

dexspeed, lunchbox, big jilm and 3 others like this.