Amps - whatcha playin' these days?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by gtone, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Crazy_8

Crazy_8 Well-Known Member

90% of the time it's my Princeton Reverb that's been with me for 50 odd years, the other 10% it's my Tweed Deluxe that has been with me even longer.

2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I don't want to infect anyone else with this dreaded Voxen disease or become codependent!
    :wow:

alexander paul and gtone like this.
  3. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

This:

[​IMG]

And this:

[​IMG]

CATMANDUE, Bettyboo and GibsonKramer like this.
  4. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Active Member

Wow! Got my pedal board today! I bought this off ebay on Sunday... it came today. It really opens up this amp. Pretty intuitive to use, I was jamming thru all the banks presets and effects in no time.

The only thing I could complain about, is the wah. Its supposedly modeled after a late 60s Vox wah. I can definitely hear the 60s inspiration in it... but, it just doesn't give the range I expect out of a wah. It works though, it works well... just not my exact cup of tea. I've never been a big pedal guy anyway, so its not that big a deal.

Still nice having the wah (can't find my Crybaby), love the volume pedal and calling up presets is a breeze and there's SO many. You could play anyplace, any type of music, with this setup... you would be set. There were some nice presets already saved, so I need to move some things around... just really loving this amp, even more.

Here's the pics!

Did I ever note how little I stole this for? With the shipping, it came out to $86.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CATMANDUE and dbb like this.
  5. lunchie

lunchie Member

[​IMG]

Blue and Blonde started off life as a Fender Champ 600, now the only thing about it that is C600 is the chasis. Boothill did a 5F1 conversion on it and Muchxs built a rocking cab for it. It uses an old Mexican made 6x9 that my guess came out of a Buick or something. It sounds awesome! Everytime I plug into it, I have the biggest grin on my face. I will have recordings hopefully real soon.

The Orange and Blonde is a Muchxs Morpheus. Its a Blackface Champ sort of amp with a switch to bypass the tone stack. Its in a slightly oversized cab with a Eminence Legend 10" for the speaker. The cleans are absolutely beautiful and it can get into pissed off Tweed territory but it really has to be cranked. I typically use the Morpheus for cleans and the 5F1 for dirt.

I also have a Blackstar Core ID 10 that I use for recording little clips here and there. Once I get my little home recording studio up and going it will probably get sold off.

6. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

The main play practice amp is my Blackheart 5 watt little giant.
    after that its just a toss up as to what I feel like playing but my favorite is my Carls custom lite 18 plexi.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Voxman

Seems like, among all here, we cover a lotta bases .. way over to the left and way over to the right .. wish I could hear all of em but it seems like there's way too many n not enough time for another opinions opine!

8. potatofarmer

potatofarmer Member

My main is a 135W Twin Reverb that I've been modding. Still has really lush cleans, but it starts breaking up around 4 on the volume. Once I finish up the bias mod trem and cut out the extra 5 miles of wire they used, it should be good to go.

Number 2 is a Trainwreck Rocket (AC30 Top Boost channel) clone with a quad of 6V6s. I added a tweed/Vox "normal" channnel, might add a few switches to make it more like a Plexi.

Number 3 is a Bogen Challenger CHB35A that I've gutted and rebuilt a few times. Right now it's a 20W high gain(-ish) monstrosity, but when I think of something better to do with it, that'll change.

I'm hoping Santa brings me a Peavey Windsor head that I can gut and do horrible nasty terrible things to. Like maybe turn it into an Orange OR120...

Sadly, nothing I have is particularly nice to look at, but it'll drive you deaf all the same.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CATMANDUE, GibsonKramer and frankd like this.
  9. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

JCA2112RC here. 20 watt combo. A dirty lil girl!!!

CATMANDUE likes this.
  10. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Laugh if you want, but there's no tubes nor digital stuff here anymore. Shucks, not even any high dollar stuff. Just a plain, discontinued, Frontman 25R II in Texas Red. Did drop a Jensen Jet Falcon 10" into it though. A bit more bottom and loads of clean headroom after that. Grand total investment: $135. I've been through well of 80+ amps in my time from '65 Twins, Deluxe Reverbs, Super Beatles (when they all were new too!), and everything in between. Now, I keep it simple, direct, and to the point. No frills, no tubes, no digital effects or gizmos, just plain solid state dependability and clarity. So laugh if you like and say the old Worm's a crazy old coot (and I am too!) but I am 100% happy with what I've got. Isn't that what counts?:hmm:

[​IMG]
    (Yeah, I know, it's a stock shot of the amp, but I couldn't find a shot of it by itself in the "library" of the photo thing I use.)

[​IMG]
    Besides, this is where my "tone" comes from anyway!:naughty:
    Now that'll start a barrage of "Tone's not in your fingers" comments!:run:

11. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

My main noise maker these days is this little box 'o burnin' love right here:

[​IMG]

CATMANDUE, Bettyboo and GibsonKramer like this.
  12. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

- Marshall VBA 400 + 7152 cab
    - Peavey MAX 112
    - Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 + 425A cab
    - Marshall Class5 head + VS112 cab with Celestion G12-T75
    - Marshall DSL 401
    - Vox Lil' Night Train + cab
    .. I believe that is all..

13. Voxman

Please pass the cork! Where is it? I know one of you guys got it .... Oh, here it is under my desk w/ the cats playing with it, one ah youse musta left it here last time!

Anyway, for a guy who likes to go digital and dare to then hold up the cork, as bait .. like the carrot in front of the horse, weeeeeeeeeellllllll ... that
    " Modus Appendage " Tone machine you've graciously shared with us looks very suspiciously like Quite the Earthly, Analog thing of which one professes to have become antiquated in lieu Solid State endeavors!

[​IMG][​IMG]

I sir, am at a loss, and being quite genuinely taken aback, must appeal to your sensibilities to help me with my dementia, or lack of, in gaining a foothold of the proper straight and true validation of which road to follow ,

[​IMG]
    can ya throw me a bone or a few crumbs and perhaps a sip of water on this one?>

14. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Um, V-Man... Say what? Ya lost me with that one. I'm confused...:dunno:

15. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

I've only got one amp now...:(
    Just this old thing..it has to suffice I guess..
    [​IMG]

16. Guilll

Guilll New Member

I play on a Marshall JTM1 50th anniversary, with a Blackheart cab loaded with a Jensen PR12. Best small amp I have ever tried ! Since I have a baby at home, I play it through a Tonehunter SPL Reducer attenuator (yes, an attenuator on a 1 watt !).

I also have a Pignose Legendary 7-100, which is also amazing , but still a bit too loud for my use, since it's humanly impossible to resist the temptation to play it at full volume.

CATMANDUE, JohnnyGoo and frankd like this.
  17. Voxman

Jees .. It's just folly TW .. as I was laughing silly while I wrote it! It's pure whimsy and since when the forums most colorful personalities' , of course you included , get creative on the keyboard there's always a chuckle, and a good laugh is the best medicine for we [​IMG] while the hand still looks like an Analog device?

Tobacco Worm likes this.
  18. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

When I'm in the basement, I'm usually playing my old Deluxe Reverb or my DST-U84 TNT. I'll plug that into an old Sovtek 2x12 with some sort of Eminence speakers. It sounds great. I also sometimes plug the Deluxe Reverb into it. Just for that big wall of sound effect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Sovtek. The JTM sounds great with this cab.

[​IMG]

If I'm playing at my friend's house, I keep the '79 Super Lead and one of the Silver Jubilee cabinets at his place. He's a bass player, and doesn't plug into my amp when I'm not there. It's also where my drum set and PA currently reside.

The DST30 in this photo now resides in my dining room. Whenever I'm able to play upstairs, I pug into that.

[​IMG]

These amps are what I usually bring to hotels with me when I'm away for work. I prefer the Orange because it has a tuner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. paradise

paradise Member

Here is my big amp for outdoors Musicman HD130
    and for playing in doors I use a Hot Rod Deluxe I have switch tubes and adjust the bias and speaker with a extension cab and when I play through Amplitube 3 or Guitar Port I use a Fender 65 Performer

Attached Files:

JohnnyGoo and frankd like this.
  20. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

'76 Marshall 2204
    '78 Fender Champ
    late model Fender Champion 600
    late model Fender Mustang I
    '80s Marshall Lead 20

My amp tech guy has a JTM50 clone he built which is the best sounding amp I have ever played through. I keeps offering to build me one for a hard to refuse price. My 2204 sounds almost as good. I have no need for a JTM50 and I will need an attenuator.... :ohno: :o

JohnnyGoo likes this.