Amps - whatcha playin' these days?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by gtone, Dec 9, 2014.

1. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

MMMMM GIBSON BAss ----yes ---is GOOOOOOD!

MUSTANG you Say??? Yep awesome WITH awesome sauce and a side of FRIGGIN cool

2. peejaybee

peejaybee Well-Known Member

I probably would have gotten the Mustang III if I hadn't come across such a deal on the Spider IV. There was one on the local CL that dropped down really cheap (under $200) that I would have gotten were I not between jobs at the time. (Technically I was between jobs when I bought the Spider, but I was fielding two offers, so the situation was a little different.)

3. peejaybee

I'm guessing you totally hate the Dead Kennedys.:laugh2:

4. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

No, not at all ... ha ha

Actually Alternative Tentacles sent me two of their stickers when I bought Ratos de Porao 'Ao Vivo CBGB's' ... I am a massive RDP fan, as evidenced by the following tattoo:

[​IMG]

5. wilto

wilto New Member

This, my trusty music man hd130, i done recap myself, and put in a quad of jj6ca7's.

[​IMG]

mdubya, SG John, dbb and 3 others like this.
  6. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

Matamp Black GTO 120, or 74 SUNN Model T first gen, 75 Orange OR 120 All through an Orange PPC412 with V30's Practice amp is an Orange OR15

gtone and mdubya like this.
  7. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I used to be skeptical regarding the claims of PPC412 mojo until I bought one. My bandmates are absolutely in love with the tone of that cab, except for the carrying it part. One of the heaviest cabs you can find, and no wheels ...

8. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Active Member

Loving this little beast. Fender Mustang II v2.0

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    JohnnyGoo and eS.G. like this.
  9. Metal89

Metal89 Well-Known Member

Figured I'd post a pic of my main amp head and cab on here seeing as how everyone else is doing it. Also, yes, my cab is on it's side...I didn't like the idea of bending over to turn the amp on and off :dunno:

Orange Micro Terror. The 2x12 cabinet loaded with 2 VHT Chromebacks, the speakers where given to me and the cab box itself was purchased off of ebay for $115 free shipping. Absolutely love this little rig :dude:

Attached Files:

10. potatofarmer

potatofarmer Member

You actually get better dispersion throughout the room this way; keep it up!

11. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

Yea, they rule ! Ours has wheels. We loan em out to alot of our friends who are in national bands who roll through town too :)

12. peejaybee

Here's the crummy little cab I bought last year:
    [​IMG]

That's a Peavey Scorpion in it, I found out once I opened it up. It's kind of a beast.

I paid ten bucks for the whole kit 'n kaboodle (all I had to do was wire a jack onto it.)

eS.G. and GibsonKramer like this.
  13. buddhuu

buddhuu Member

RAT Electronics Tube-20R
    Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube (current model)
    Laney Cub 10

The RAT is just excellent. It's a FBJ clone, but better quality than a genuine FBJ. It's been extensively modded by Andy at RAT. All the FBJ shortcomings are fixed (overly hot tube bias, voltage issues etc) and some extras added: power scaling, switchable tube/SS dual rectifier, modified tone stack (bass, mid, treble all go from zero to max so with all off there's no output - very versatile. Fantastic amp for blues, soul and classic rock. Loves decent pedals.

Love the Bandit too - the clean channel, that is. Drive channel's a bit messy but as the clean channel also loves pedals who cares?

Attached Files:

eS.G. likes this.
  14. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

So you have Rat modified Blues Jr.
    would like to see more of that . I talked with Andy about
    2 years back he must have been in a funk
    said he wasn't going to do any more mods for sale . He finaly agreed he would do a bh 5 mod for me but his tag was way upthere 3xs what they were originaly selling for, I see hes Back now though.
    frankd
    and for those who don't know
    www.ratvalveamps.com/amps-in-stock-sp-704204037

15. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

peejaybee thats an AWESOME set up!!!!!! And for 10.00?!?!? Dude welcome to the C.O.B. club!!!! Its a good thing ;)

16. lunchie

lunchie Member

I added a new toy to the arsenal....

[​IMG]

I have a Celestion G12K100 on the way to put in it and plan on some tube rolling as well in the near future.

eS.G. and frankd like this.
  17. buddhuu

buddhuu Member

It's a clone, not an actual BJr. The base for the mods is this:
    SubZero Tube-20R 20W Guitar Amp at Gear4Music.com
    PCB and components are a straight copy of an FBJ which is clearly evident when one looks at them both. Only notable difference is that the SubZero clone has a standby switch and is rated 20w rather than 15w (After Andy's mods he rates it 15w RMS, 22w peak). The cab is a little larger and the quality of construction and components is better than FBJ.

The SubZero is a re-brand of the original Belcat branded version that G4M have been selling for a few years. Same amp, just different coloured tolex and nameplate. I had the Belcat version but stupidly sold it to get the Bandit because I felt I needed the extra power and a line-out. Missed it so much I went looking around and found Andy's version. I'm attaching a pic of my old Belcat one and a couple more of the RAT modded SubZero.

I have friends who have Blues Jrs which I've played through many times and, to be honest, I've always been very underwhelmed by them. The Tube20-R is built better and sounds better, IMO, even stock.

Andy upgrades some of the components and does various other tweaks. This is his page for the amp:
    Subzero Tube-20R

Since I've had it I've used the amp in rehearsal with my 6-piece blues/soul/rock band (drums, bass, 2 x guitar, sax, vocs/harmonica) and it copes without a mic. I will definitely gig it.

The basic, unmodded version from Gear4Music is usually about £250. Andy's price is £369. In my opinion, it's a no brainer for anyone in the UK who might have been considering a Blues Jr. Get this instead! It's a very significant upgrade for less money.

EDIT: Don't know what happened back at the time you refer to, Frankd. Andy seems to be up and running with mods now. Maybe workload was getting on top of him then? My experience with RAT was excellent. Andy was helpful and communicative and answered a heap of questions before I placed my order. Turnaround time was just a few days.

If you want to know anything else, just yell. :)

Attached Files:

frankd likes this.
  18. buddhuu

buddhuu Member

Rereading what I just wrote, it sounds like I'm dissing the FBJ. Not my intent - I know lots of people love them and they have definitely sold like hot cakes. I'm just a little enthusiastic about the Tube-20R. YMMV.

No offence intended to FBJ owners or their rigs.

19. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Nice to meet you Buddhuu.
    and thanks for posting up and speaking your mind.
    Yes I have seen some of Andys work and wanted and nearly got my hands on one of his amps til the guy changed his mind LOL.
    The guy has Made some beasts . unlike a lot of modders builders who just say well I upgraded this and made this better he does and is willing to lay it out there which is cool. Sometimes when we speak our minds
    some may get offended but some may learn or question and search for themselves and that's a good thing and I agree with what you said pretty much as I have done some searching myself.
    once again thanks for posting I like your amps and style bro.
    frankd
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv8icVEbKfY"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv8icVEbKfY[/ame]

eS.G. likes this.
  20. buddhuu

buddhuu Member

You too, mate. Cheers. :)

frankd likes this.