Amps - whatcha playin' these days?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by gtone, Dec 9, 2014.

1. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Cool
    don't be a stranger come comment and hang once in awhile
    Im always on this board but I hang out in this section a lot.
    thanks again
    frankd

2. peejaybee

peejaybee Well-Known Member

Well, it ain't a $50 MIM Strat, but it'll do. :)

Funny thing is that I was looking to build a cabinet and when I came across this, figured that I couldn't build a box for ten bucks. That the speaker worked and was good was total gravy.

3. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Active Member

Oh wait! The Mustang II turned into this!

Was a trade that could not and would not ever be passed up. Too good to be true. A pic for every guitar!

(interesting factoid on this first pairing. This total setup, out-the-door... less than $500 - $299 for the guitar, $199 for the amp)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

buddhuu and Rain like this.
  4. peejaybee

peejaybee Well-Known Member

If that stack ever reads this thread, it's going to be so nervous that you're going to think it has a built-in tremolo.

5. cpower

cpower Member

image.jpg image.jpg One of these.
    And sometimes one of these

Rain likes this.
  6. pulse.

pulse. New Member

These are my amps right now and I love 'em all

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. reddog22

reddog22 New Member

I have a Marshall DSL15c and i built a 5F1 Fender Champ clone running thru a 2x12" cab with V30 Celestions.. I'm currently building a Marshall 18 watt head.

8. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

This is my rig for getting snowed in the next couple of days. I set it up yesterday. I've got plenty to do around the house, but I managed to play for three hours tonight. I'll try for at least four hours tomorrow.

[​IMG]

gtone, JohnnyGoo and thatbastarddon like this.
  9. cpower

cpower Member

10. guitarded

guitarded Member

Egnater Tweaker 40 through either G12-k100's or V-30s depending on the mood. I also have a Mark IV head and Mesa half back cab but it is not very efficient to lug these in and out of the small venues I play at.

11. deeaa

deeaa Member

A while back I modded my beloved Marshall JVM head. As you may know, it is geared towards more 'metal' tones stock and I'm much more of an older JCM800 or Bluesbreaker kind of guy, so I just had to mod it to remove some of the tightness and coldness from the amp.

But, the power stage in that amp is basically identical to the old 800 series so the base sound is there for the taking. I myself love to boost the input to poweramp via a rack EQ in the amp loop, and that way it yields really great old Marshall sounds with ease. It also helps I have a 4x12" with two 25W Greenbacks from the late 60's and an Eminence Texas Heat plus a Marshall C35 there - well broken in and certainly not metal speakers.

Anyway the mods.

First thing to do was snap off the C83 cap as per instructions from Santiago, the amp's designer himself.

"Removing C83 on the board will be the solution for what you are after. Just snap it off of the pcb and both gain and treble response
    are lowered while retaining the bite and not getting muddy. I also think that the gain control will be more usable in all its range and
    those modes more dynamic"

And that it certainly did!

The second change was to solder a .68uF polyester capacitor parallel to R97 resistor. That tamed the extreme high end shriek and warmed up the lead sounds quite nicely.

Then I removed and replaced the R58 resistor with a 180K resistor for much less negative feedback which causes the power stage to start overdriving much more easily and gives that pleasant power tube crunch WAY easier than stock.

Finally, as the original JCM series amps come with a real choke and the JVM has a simple component there to do the job, I replaced that - the R106 resistor - with a real choke, a Hammon 4H 225Mv choke. That improves the clarity and low end response some.

These mods were stupefyingly easy to do, despite I'm quite a hack with electronics, mostly because the good folk at the JVMforum were very helpful and had great examples and guides available. The amp is now stupefyingly good, exactly the kind of sound I have always wanted and aimed for.

I have owned a whole lot of amps ranging from several Fenders like The Twin etc. to Ampeg, many Marshalls like the 2203 and JCM800's, Ceriatone's EL84 custom jobs, several tube rack systems like Marshall JMP-1 and Peavey Rockmaster, and loaned and played a shitload more amps in search of my tones...and, well, I just cannot any more imagine a tone I'd like better than the modded JVM. I've had it now for two years and every time I play it, no matter what setting, it's just pure greatness. Especially with active pickups the tone is so clear and organic and warm it's outta this world. Full chords ring out with perfect string detail even at high gain settings without muddying up. I just love it to death.

Here she is in a pic a few years old already:

[​IMG]

The guitar there is Davette, my main axe, with EMG 85 + SA and my own design body shape; that's an entire story in itself how it came about.

Here's a small clip I made with the SG I recently rebuilt completely. I'm playing at a low volume so you can hear my picking quite well, but then again, it's a good example how the JVM, despite being a 100W monster, really sounds awesome at any volume and doesn't need to be cranked like an old JCM series.

Zagnut likes this.
  12. jrmullin

jrmullin Active Member

Peavey Delta Blues
    Peavey Classic 30
    Carvin X100B shortstack (to be delivered today)

13. deeaa

deeaa Member

[​IMG]

That's my amp stack from a couple of years back...when I got the JVM it pretty much made these all obsolete.

14. bea

bea Well-Known Member

A modded Valve Junior is a decent practice amp and never obsolete.

Yesterday i played the SG through my Mywatt 200. Carefully because i had only a small cabinet, a vented Eminence Beta 10 (my pracitice cab for the bass). That was a surprisingly good combination.

15. tc rocker

tc rocker Member

image.jpg I love my ceriatone hrm. Nice Dumble copy amp.....

16. deeaa

deeaa Member

I sold off my Valve Jr....I had modded it a lot even swapped a better transformer in it and I really liked how it sounded but it was just way too loud for home use yet not loud enough for band use.

Besides, I can't seem to be able to keep but one amp usually. I only ever use one sound and lots of variations of it...so why keep many amps Unless you need them in various locations?

17. Zagnut

Zagnut Active Member

I appreciate your logic which also makes you more fiscally responsible. ;) I'm not quite a hoarder, but I have five amps and I can't get any one of them to sound like one of the others so they're all valuable for their individual tone. Course I 've probably never played the same song the same way twice so it might just be my lack of ability. :ohno: Nice job on the JVM demo. :thumb:

deeaa likes this.
  18. bea

bea Well-Known Member

I play bass in two amps and need at least for:
    one for each band (actually a large setup and a small
    one as a backup
    one for guitar bass playing at home, for sessions,...

Then there are two transistor bass cabinets i do not use and for reasons i do not understand do not want to sell as well.

Many of my amps are actually vintage PA amps. And one of them is actually used as such, and that also needs a backup.

19. Robus

Robus Active Member

Fender 65 reissue Deluxe Reverb is and has been my No1 since I bought it in the early 2000s.

Recently I brought my Fender Hotrod Deluxe out of the basement where it has spent most of the last decade. I had a burnt out resistor replaced and retubed it with the Eurotubes 6V6 mod that reduces its output down to 30 watts or less, making it a bit more useful in my home studio where most of my playing happens these days. I have to say, it's sounding pretty good. It's gotten a lot of play lately.

My Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 has seen more use than anything else since I bought it in October. It's an incredibly useful little recording amp. It really only does one thing well, IMO (super, almost surgically clean to just a hair overdriven), but that happens to be the one thing I use most of all. Its higher gain sounds are crap, IMO, but for that I have:

Marshall DSL40c. Does an excellent crunch, and with pedals, can give good high gain sounds. It actually has a nice clean sound too, but I tend to prefer the Fenders for that.

Trace Elliot Velocette. This is a little 15 watt Class A combo with a Celestion Vintage 10 inch speaker. It is a killer studio amp. It is incapable of making a bad sound. At lower volume it does a chimy, Vox-like clean tone. Turn it up and it becomes a fire-breathing monster. Unless I'm turning it up pretty loud, I can record with it in the room with me, which is convenient. With the bigger amps I have to run cables through to the next room.

I'm pretty much set for guitar amps, though the new Fender '68 reissue Princeton has been tempting me a bit lately.

Since somebody mentioned bass, I'm using a Gallien Krueger MB500. I have a GK Neo 4x10 cab but usually record it direct into the board.

20. tc rocker

tc rocker Member

I play guitar for my church, there I use a Fender DRRiI with a line 6 pod which is in the normal channel, and my clean sound is in the reverb channel. With an a- b pedal.