An expert opinion

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by coxisingapore, Mar 1, 2014.

1. coxisingapore

coxisingapore New Member

Hi Guys,

I am new here and just bought this SG (my second). I was wondering if anyone could help me verify its age and type.

Serial number 172884

Picture attached.. I think...

cheers

Coxi

Attached Files:

2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Wow that is a beauty!! Welcome. I am not an expert others here KNOW the vintage axes and I am sure they will be along shortly.
    In the mean time look around the site and enjoy.:)

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

4. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

'73 - '75 or '76 SG Special. Looks nice! What do you think of it? The mini humbuckers are a unique pickup. Kind of in between a full size humbucker and a single coil.

5. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I agree on the early '70s pedigree. I don't see a crown inlay on the headstock. An unbound neck, plain headstock (except for the Gibson logo), black mini-humbuckers, and small block inlays all point to an early 70s SG Special.

You can compare it to my '74 Special in the member gallery.

As a bit of clarification, many people assume a Special has dots instead of blocks in the neck. This is largely true, but some of the Specials of that era had blocks.

Anyway, love the axe!

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG] 05-06-2013, 04:46 PM #3 (permalink) sgtbeefheart

[​IMG]

Here are a '72 and a '73, but there seem to be many variations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. coxisingapore

coxisingapore New Member

Thanks guys

I thought it may be 1973 from my research, but the guitar dater project said it was early 60's, but I kinda knew its was too good to be true. :-)

I bought it in a hurry as the guy was closing his shop, so to be honest, I have yet to plug it into an amp.. No issues on the whether it works, as the shop is 100% and i just love the look of it, very clean. Frets are well worn but nice sustain acoustically.

So i haven't yet heard it through an amp and wont for another few weeks, until I get it to my home base.

So No clue how the mini hums sound but sure looking forward to finding out!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys... love the site..!

8. coxisingapore

coxisingapore New Member

Thanks guys

thanks Smitty, yes no inlay on the headstock other than the logo.

I will check yours out in the members gallery.

9. shreddy bender

It's certainly an early-mid 70's Special. I really like this era of SG's. They aren't "proper" for the collectors but the SG wasn't "proper" for Les Paul either! They kind of suit my personality.
    When you do get to plug it in give us some feedback on the sound. Those minis are very bright and jangly in the bridge and smooth mean and nasty in the neck.
    Nice find and welcome to ETSG!

smitty_p likes this.
  10. shreddy bender

Oh and by the way I'm no expert! Ex= has-been, Spurt= drip under pressure.
    Therefore I'm no "Ex spurt"!

11. coxisingapore

coxisingapore New Member

Thanks Shreddy

Cheers Shreddy..

No way of pinpointing the actual year via the serial number is there?

Would anyone care to value it in USD? Not that I care as I have no intention of ever parting with it..

12. smitty_p

One good way to help zero in on the date is to check the code on the pots in the control cavity. The guitar can be a different date than the pots, but usually its only a matter of a few months.

As for the sound, the minis are kind of in their own camp. Shreddy gave you a sense of it. I don't know how much you know about them. Please, don't be offended if I tell you something you already know. But, there are really two varieties of mini-humbuckers. There is the type in your SG, and there are the type found on the Gibson Firebird. They are rather different.

The type in your SG are built similar to full-size PAF-type humbuckers. They have a magnet and pole pieces. The Firebird minis have two magnets with a coil surrounding each magnet. They have no pole pieces. The sound is different between the two. The mini-PAF type is often described as having a sound like a blend of a humbucker and single coil, with an emphasis on the humbucker sound. The Firebird type is often described as having a sound like a blend of a humbucker and single coil, with an emphasis on the single-coil sound.

Personally, I like the minis in my SG. They do not have the output of a full-size 'bucker. They are responsive to changes in the volume and tone controls. The neck can get downright smooth and jazzy when rolled back a touch. I usually use it for solos. The bridge is very tight and focused. Shreddy noted that it is bright. I agree with this. However, the brightness can be tamed with the tone control and by blending in a touch of the neck. With heavy distortion, the neck can get wolfy, if used alone. The bridge is great with distortion and is very crunchy.

You can get pinch harmonics to fly out these pickups with very little effort.

I also really like Shreddy's characterization of the guitar in general. It represents its own era of SG history. It's a true '70s time machine.

Anyhoo, welcome to the mad-house!

shreddy bender likes this.
  13. shreddy bender

Well put smitty.

14. coxisingapore

coxisingapore New Member

Thanks Smitty and Shreddy, you have already increased my SG knowledge substantially in this thread alone, and made me even more keen to plug this one in. 10 mores days til I get to an amp. With your guidance I know already that I will enjoy and appreciate this guitar so much more and for that I am truly grateful.
    Coxi

smitty_p and shreddy bender like this.
  15. smitty_p

Coxi,

That's quite alright. I don't claim to be an expert, but I've learned a thing or two over the years.

Also, I just noticed you're from Indonesia. This may be a first. Someone else may know for sure, but I don't know if we have other Indonesian members here. That's really cool. I imagine the SG selection is rather limited, there.

Most of the south Pacific representation here is proudly covered by our fine Australian membership. I guess the South Pacific Command of ETSG is expanding!

16. smitty_p

That's kind of the way I feel, too. It's the "off-the-grid" SG.

shreddy bender likes this.
  17. sshan2525

sshan2525 Active Member

That is indeed an early to mid 70's Special. I have a very similar '74. lt's a great guitar.

18. coxisingapore

coxisingapore New Member

Smitty,
    yes indeed I live in Bali Indonesia, but work out out of Singapore. I travel frequently with work, all around the globe and try and visit guitars shops along the way. Singapore is where everything I purchase is shipped to, then i hand carry into Indonesia from there, as the guitars would simply disappear if shipped direct. Singapore does have some great guitar techs and a few vintage shops that I trust, which is great for setting up and servicing.
    Both countries have 100% humidity so looking after guitars, requires meticulous care and careful environmental conditions.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  19. coxisingapore

coxisingapore New Member

Indonesia

Smitty,
    yes indeed I live in Bali Indonesia, but work out out of Singapore. I travel frequently with work, all around the globe and try and visit guitars shops along the way. Singapore is where everything I purchase is shipped to, then i hand carry into Indonesia from there, as the guitars would simply disappear if shipped direct. Singapore does have some great guitar techs and a few vintage shops that I trust, which is great for setting up and servicing.
    Both countries have 100% humidity so looking after guitars, requires meticulous care and careful environmental conditions.

20. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

Biddlin likes this.