An SG for JAZZ?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by shamu1, Apr 14, 2013.

1. shamu1

shamu1 Active Member

Cool! I'm glad to hear this from a jazzer like yourself. Plus the SG just looks damn cool in a jazz context! I can't say the same thing if I saw a Dean Dimebag Darrel axe being used for jazz.

BTW, I really liked your video of Naghma - you've got a really cool Coltrane "Ole"/modal thing going there. Very nice.

dbb likes this.
  2. shamu1

shamu1 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I can relate because I am definitely one of those "no pedals/plug it right in" guys. I like my guitar sound to be as unfettered and pure as possible when I plug it in. I want the guitar to sound like a guitar, not a chainsaw.

Col Mustard and dbb like this.
  3. Repo251

Repo251 New Member

Massively late reply, but can you get a fat sound from the single pup on a junior? I’m tempted to get one...

4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    The single pickup on a junior is a P90, and they are a great deal thinner than a humbucker. If you want a fat sound you'd need to replace that.

5. Repo251

Repo251 New Member

That’s not correct. Many P90s have a fat sound. Check out BKP Blue Note...

https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickup/p90/blue-note-90

jonnyfez likes this.
  6. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Active Member

The p90 on my junior is much fatter than bridge humbucker on my Standard. By far. And something about the jr construction makes it fatter than even the bridge p90 on my Special.

7. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    That is all about pickup location. Given the same location, a humbucker is always fatter than a P90.

dub-setter likes this.
  8. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Active Member

Couldn't disagree more. A P90 sounds more "hi-fi" to me. Bigger low end and high end compared to a humbucker but still with that mid-push compared to a Fender-type single coil.

9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Just having the opportunity to play is more important than the genre of music, I’m ready for anything except black metal.

when the jazz bug knocks, I am ready...

[​IMG]

10. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

A single bridge P-90 wouldn't be ideal for typical jazz guitar but between amp selection and EQ, you may be able to get close. As far as humbucker vs. P-90, Gibson used a neck P-90 in their archtops for years before the PAF was around, right? I haven't really looked into but it sounds right in my head. So if that's the case, it's perfectly capable. Probably comes down to pick up placement more than anything. The neck P-90 in my Special sounds fantastic. Seems to keep a bit more clarity than the neck humbucker in something like my LP. Bridge position P-90 vs humbucker they're both very different and equally awesome.