Angus SG!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Codemeister, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Codemeister

Codemeister Member

So I had some bad luck with a Gothic SG a while back. It sucked pretty bad. Crappy workmanship and really mushy sound. Then the other day I played a friend's standard, and it totally kicked ass. Awesome bitey sound and a sweet action. I've had my eye on an Angus SG for a long time now. To me, they seem like a Standard, but with different pickups, hardware and neck, and probably better wood. I haven't seen one in person though, let alone played one. Hopefully the guy at the guitar shop will come through and get one in stock.

But yargh, to you dudes who played/own one, how are they? How do they pit up against the other SG's?

2. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

I havn't played one, but I heard it goes out of tune easy do to the way the maestro vibrola is set up. I DONT KNOW FOR SURE. It is just what i heard.

3. Codemeister

Codemeister Member

I heard that they go out of tune easy too. I wonder if it's much work to fix them?

4. angus

angus Active Member

Just take the Tremelo arm off.

Oh Yeah, That's REAL Hard.

;D

5. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

well the neck is REALLY THIN. and the pups are awesome.

6. Codemeister

Codemeister Member

How thin? Like Wizard thin? Fender thin?

7. jqworle

jqworle New Member

I seem to remember some people screwing the bridge down so it cant move on the angus sig model,bit drastic in my opinion. :D

8. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

The neck is pretty thin, even less than the 61RI if I recall.
    My 61 has the Maestro, stays in tune pretty good.
    The TOM is probably more stable, but the Maestro works very well for me.

Neo

Edit; I refered to my tailpiece as a Maestro, it's actually a Lyre Vibrola. Sorry!

9. Voxpop

Voxpop Member

That's a great axe. Of course I was concerned with the tuning problem at the start. But it's fixable. I added a strip of felt beneath the tremolo spring, removed the arm and put nylon saddle in the ABR-1 bridge.
    Now it plays like a dream.
    Pros: very nice finish, nice 1 piece body, pick ups amazing (the bridge in particular)
    Cons: it's heavier than a regular SG, the drawing on the headstock (with a MOP crown it would like exactly like a 68 SG)

I chose this one instead of a 61 RI, because when I tried the RI in a store I could bend and use the neck like a tremolo. The junction of neck/body didn't inspired me at all. But I love the small pick guard too.

The Angus feel really sturdy in comparison. It's a keeper. :D

I don't regret my choice.

10. NeoConMan

NeoConMan New Member

[quote author=Voxpop link=topic=12769.msg166868#msg166868 date=1174091381]

I chose this one instead of a 61 RI, because when I tried the RI in a store I could bend and use the neck like a tremolo. [/quote]

True. Mine will flex if you pull back on the neck.

Neo

11. Codemeister

Codemeister Member

Thanks Vox! I've seen some SG's with 2, or even 3 piece bodies. What is the neck joint like on the Angus? Could you take a pic of it please?

So are you saying the only way to keep the Lyre in tune is to lock it down and rip the arm out?

What if I just replaced it with a more sturdy one? If that would fix it, then I could go talk to a friend of mine who engraves belt buckles and have him do something cool.

12. TNT

TNT Active Member

[quote author=Codemeister link=topic=12769.msg166909#msg166909 date=1174118978]
    What is the neck joint like on the Angus?
    [/quote]
    Exactly the same as a new Standard. It is nothing like a '68.

13. Codemeister

Codemeister Member

[quote author=TNT link=topic=12769.msg166912#msg166912 date=1174121678]

Exactly the same as a new Standard. It is nothing like a '68.
    [/quote]

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if it was something seamless, like a Dean. They are set necks, but they look and feel like a neck through. But yeah, I found specs.
    Angus Neck Specs:
    Thickness at 1st fret: 0.775"
    Thickness at 12th fret: 0.875"
    Nut Width: 1.625"
    Width at 12th fret: 2.032"

ESP Viper Specs:
    Thickness at 1st fret: 0.795"
    Thickness at 12th fret: 0.866"
    Nut Width: 1.65"
    Width at last fret: 2.244" (~1.94" at 12th?)

That means, the Angus neck is probably very similar to the dear ol' Viper Neck. The only things that may make a big difference is the fret wire(ESP uses about 6100, Gibson uses 6130 I think), and the fingerboard radius (ESP is very close to 12"), and perhaps the back profile.

14. TNT

TNT Active Member

When you asked about the neck joint, I thought that you were referring to the heel shape.
    For an almost seamless looking heel, you would have to go with the VOS SG Standard or Historic Standard. They look very smooth.

15. Codemeister

Codemeister Member

[quote author=TNT link=topic=12769.msg166914#msg166914 date=1174122031]
    When you asked about the neck joint, I thought that you were referring to the heel shape.
    For an almost seamless looking heel, you would have to go with the VOS SG Standard or Historic Standard. They look very smooth.
    [/quote]

Nah, that don't confront me, as long as the neck is stable and I can reach the top frets...by Friday.

16. Voxpop

Voxpop Member

[quote author=Codemeister link=topic=12769.msg166909#msg166909 date=1174118978]
    Thanks Vox! I've seen some SG's with 2, or even 3 piece bodies. What is the neck joint like on the Angus? Could you take a pic of it please?

So are you saying the only way to keep the Lyre in tune is to lock it down and rip the arm out?

What if I just replaced it with a more sturdy one? If that would fix it, then I could go talk to a friend of mine who engraves belt buckles and have him do something cool.
    [/quote]

Right the neck joint is exactly built the same way as today's SG Standard.
    see below:
    http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02685wl0.jpg

Vibrola: you just need to support the spring from below. The felt strip is slided beneath.
    If you'd lock it down directly against the body, the angle of the string with the ABR-1 would be too extreme, strong.
    The SG AY has , like a standard, a neck which makes a slight angle with the body and it's not like it used to be on a SG 68 or today's 61 RI. Those last ones have straight neck, in line with the body and can have a vibrola locked aginst the body.

Am I clear enough :?

17. Codemeister

Codemeister Member

Yeah, I beleive I understand. Thanks! Is it still possible to get any kind of vibrato out of the Lyre with the felt underneath?