Angus VOS LTD Arrived - Pics Now Up

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pancake81, Dec 2, 2009.

1. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

It was the usual routine for 8:00 at my place, supper had been eaten, dishes were clean and put away, fire was going, and now it was time to sit down at the computer and let the endless digital information of guitars and AC/DC wash over me. I started at my usual forums, ACDC.com and everythingsg.com, nothing exciting had been posted on either so I go on over to Gibson.com.

I had not been on the Gibson site for a while, I find they don’t update there pages often enough to justify it more than once or twice a month. But this time I realized I may have left it too long... As soon as the Gibson front page comes up there is a picture of a very well known instrument to me, right down to bitter details.

I don’t know why, but I kind of space out for a minute trying to figure out why this epic guitar is splattered all over there page like Cancer Warning's on my grandma's cigarette packs. I figured they must have an article or something of that liking on it. I click the link and to my surprise I am taken to a glorious page describing each highly detailed piece. It still hasn’t set in that this guitar is for sale...

I spent quite a few minutes reading down the page, and then my brain finally kicks on. Is this Damn thing for sale or what?! I scroll up working my way to the top of the page until I am greeted with a dollar sign. A BIG dollar sign! A $6100 dollar sign. Puke!

Despite the enormous price tag I figured a way to come up with dough, now I just needed to find one to purchase (and hopefully with a nice low number). Here is my purchasing experience I had to get my dream guitar in my hands.

First off, Sweetwater was an absolute dream to deal with! I am from Canada, and had no way of purchasing one of these guitars in my country :( Why... I have no idea. Gibson told me they sent 6 to Canada. That's right, 6! So I imagine those were gobbled up by some music store owners that never even put them on there inventory. Who knows...

Anyways, with no other way of purchasing one in Canada, I had to start to look of another way to get one into Canada. With a quick call and some price comparing, Sweetwater was the way to go. For one, they would ship it to me; apparently US dealers were not authorized/allowed to ship these guitars out of there designated Country of sale. So they put their head on the block I suppose a bit for me, and for that I am grateful. On top of that, they still gave me free shipping, and knocked a few nickels off the price. All said and done it still cost me $500 more than if I found one in Canada, but hey.... I got the damn thing in the end didn't I? :coolsmiley:

Note: I am not a "Hot Shot"! Nor do I have $500 dollars to throw away at customs, but I just couldn't let this beauty slip away for good.

Long story short with Sweetwater, I swipe the Credit Card - They ship the guitar. Three days later it shows up at my door in Canada. Hell YA!!!

Crack open the box, and at first look I am not exactly jumping up in the air like I thought I would. Maybe it's because I am a grown man, but still think I will act like a kid in certain situations (then don't). Maybe it was something else that day, couldn't tell ya.

Pull the baby from her Coffin and wrap my hands around her cold "Fed-Ex'ed" neck, and it was magic :Droolin: She felt at home the second our skins rubbed. It has a really really smooth neck; in all sense of the meanings. It is physically smooth, it is supper narrow, incredible taper that almost makes your hand ease up the neck with no effort, and then just fall right back down to the cord graveyard. It really is something I have not felt in another guitar.

So... I start getting some weird looks from fellow coworkers as they walk pass my office and see me playing guitar; feet up on the desk, pick in my mouth, and a "sheep eating thistles smile". So i decide it's time to head home a wee bit early, after all, it is coming up lunch time ;)

A painstaking 2 hour drive from the office to my house in the sticks, all the time sweating at the palms to get that piece of heaven back in my sights. Speeding up my gravel driveway, but no E-Brake on the hairpin today... We have precious cargo. In the house, straight to the amp, and then.... Damnit! I have to let this damn guitar warm up to the house temp.... TIC.. TOC.. TIC.. TOC..... Well, had enough of that. I creep the case open and wait to see if she fogs up. Nope, I am all good.

I take a rest on my favorite stool and rest my newborn on my knee, soon she will take her first steps. Next I turn on the amp and listen to the tubes hum as they warm up, as I bend down and plug in the patch cord that will soon become the umbilical cord to the amp as she rams tasteful notes and bends at mind altering speeds.

The first few seconds were like a car crash; I didn't really know what was going on, it was all slow motion, at one point I was facing the wrong way, and at the end I could still feel my adrenalin pumping!

This thing sounds incredible! That's my opinion only (I have spoken to a few people who liked it, but were not blown away: to each their own). I will hopefully post a few sound clips for you guys early next week. Until then, please enjoy these pictures and make any comments you like. Constructive criticism is always welcome, points of view are welcome, straight out ignorance is not appreciated.

If you guys would like any specific shots of a certain part or angle, please let me know.

Cheers, till next time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AxRab

AxRab Member

Wow! # 30....... Congrats, new guitars dont do much for me, but that is a beauty!!!!!

3. pancake81

Thanks AxRab,

She is kind of a funny specimen this one. I have never owned a "VOS" before, but they actually due give you the impression of a well taken care of vintage. Not in all aspects, but a lot different than say a re-issue. Even in forms of feel, character, finish etc.

I am a happy camper with this beauty.

4. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

she's a beauty! congrats :coolsmiley:

5. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Double Sweet! :Droolin: :Droolin: And a good review too. Sounds like Sweetwater went the extra mile for you! O0

6. pancake81

Thanks GuitarWeasel,

Yeah, Sweetwater really did all they could for me. And when I say I paid that extra $500, it wasnt to them, it was to customs and the Gov. There price was realitively close to what I get a my music in store in town that I have dealt with forever.

Glad to see you guys like her though.

7. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

WOW. :Droolin:

I would kill for any one of your guitars, that's a sweet collection!

8. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

Gorgeous!

Are there NIBS on the frets/binding? Can you take a good closeup of the binding at the end of one of the frets? From your pics it looks like no NIBS, which would be a GREAT thing... I don't like the nibs on all/most Gibsons with binding.

9. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I have to admit that is a very nice looking SG! Also nice to have such a low serial number. Be sure to let us know how she plays when you have had a chance to really get a good feel for her.

10. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

:Droolin: That is insane! Great review and sweet looking axe! I wish I could afford one of those, but building amps has started to eat all my guitar cash lately.

11. D-DAY

D-DAY Member

That's a first rate beauty you have there! I'm currently turning various shades of green with envy... I think your fret job looks a lot nicer than the one on my Robot.

12. pancake81

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=20024.msg242434#msg242434 date=1259787913]
    WOW. :Droolin:

I would kill for any one of your guitars, that's a sweet collection!
    [/quote]

PM me. Maybe we can work something out ;D

13. pancake81

[quote author=gnolivos link=topic=20024.msg242437#msg242437 date=1259789141]
    Gorgeous!

Are there NIBS on the frets/binding? Can you take a good closeup of the binding at the end of one of the frets? From your pics it looks like no NIBS, which would be a GREAT thing... I don't like the nibs on all/most Gibsons with binding.
    [/quote]

I will try to take some pics of it when I get home later this evening.

14. pancake81

[quote author=gnolivos link=topic=20024.msg242437#msg242437 date=1259789141]
    Gorgeous!

[/quote]

Well, they are there. But i must say, the entire neck/frets feel amazing to me. Nu bumps, no rubs, no waves... Just straight up smooth slide. Thats the way I like it at least, maybe others prefer something a little different?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

OK, nibs are there. That's what I expected to be honest. Awesome guitar, rock on.

16. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Yes, a great looking guitar. 8) And BTW, a great thread as well! 8) 8)

17. pancake81

[quote author=Six String link=topic=20024.msg242467#msg242467 date=1259845138]
    Yes, a great looking guitar. 8) And BTW, a great thread as well! 8) 8)
    [/quote]

Thanks Six String 8)

18. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

This post was so good I asked pancake81 to change a few words so I could put it on the front page of the website. Well it's there and I want to thank pancake81 for becoming a contributing writer for ETSG.

If anyone else thinks they have a great story to tell and has a flair for writting just let me know.

19. miniangus

miniangus New Member

only 1way to describe. MINT CONDISHHH!!!
    hey do you know if gibson still makes the older angus young sig. u know the one with his signature pickup and the 57' classic and the vibrola engraved with his name

20. pancake81

[quote author=miniangus link=topic=20024.msg243328#msg243328 date=1261436968]
    only 1way to describe. MINT CONDISHHH!!!
    hey do you know if gibson still makes the older angus young sig. u know the one with his signature pickup and the 57' classic and the vibrola engraved with his name
    [/quote]

I believe the new Gibson USA model replaced the old one with the 57's and the vibrola. If your still interested in getting one there are lots out there, in fact, I believe quite a few retailers still have new ones in stock.