Another bad guitar center experience

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Robert Morris, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Robert Morris

Robert Morris Member

Went to my Reno Nevada guitar center this weekend. Tried it 2018 Gibson SG standard. The set up was horrible. The guy offered to put it on the table and adjust it. But I didn’t feel like waiting around at the time and was very disappointed. I’m going to get an SG and was Wondering if waiting for the year end sales was worth it. Right now the 2018 SG standard is 1249 on sale. I don’t like the idea of buying a guitar online without being able to play it. Thanks

2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Easy solution tell them you may buy one today if you can try one thats been checked and give yourself enough time. Most of the stores are pretty thinly staffed so well early morning or mid afternoon may work.

Bring straight edge and make sure fretboard isnt problematic then just buy it if you need to never heard of problems returning in 45 day window ...

Good luck!

3. Colnago

Colnago Active Member

Why was this a bad Guitar Center experience? Didn’t they offer to set it up for you?

4. Robert Morris

Robert Morris Member

Yes they did. I guess I just expected it to be at least decent. They were fine. I didn’t give them a hard time about it.
    Would be best to wait for the year end sale?

5. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Well-Known Member

That's not a bad experience. You're impatient. I would have gladly waited.

6. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

First things first: don’t hesitate about an online purchase, so long as it’s from a somewhere reputable. If it doesn’t work out, return it hassle free. I have done polls on this forum, and despite the face many (including myself) preach the “play before you buy”, the majority of us gamble on the online purchase. Why di we gamble? Because it’s with someone else’s money. If the guitar doesn’t work for you, send it back.

Secondly, as far as guitar set up goes Gibson may actually have a descent approach. I am pretty sure 99% of their guitars leave the factory within a certain spec. That spec may work for you, or, perhaps it may not. They are painting with a very broad brush. How do they send out two SG’s for players who play plays Derek Trucks and one who plays Angus Young (or choose your artists / styles). The guitars on the shelf have to be playable, not set up for you. Agreeably, we have all picked up some guitars that are absolute sh1t in the set up department. But at a large guitar center, if I grab one that’s rubbish, chances are the one beside is good, as are the other dozen they have.

When it comes to a set up, perhaps I am less picky. Or rather less educated. I have 3 Gibson SG’s; a 61 reissue, a custom and a custom shop. They all played good out of the case for me. Perhaps many of you have have a plethora of knowledge on me, but so long as I cAn play them with ease and get the sounds I want out of them I don’t see the need for a set up. Albeit I am sure every instrument could be fine tuned.

I come to this conclusion as I have picked up guitars that people have owned or recently bought and I think “wow, this baby plays like butter”. And they go, “actions to high, I hate it, wouldnt have bought it if they were not fire saleing it”. Or, contrabersolely, explains to me how they just spent $100 to have it methodically gone over, set up, nut filed down, etc, and I think. , “plays okay....”

To me, I have grown accustom to my intrusments. I am not saying there perfect, but they are plenty good enough for me. To be honest, I am not even sure If I spent the money the guitar would come out more playable for me...(?).

smitty_p, rotorhead and Worblehat like this.
  7. njpaulc

njpaulc Well-Known Member

Right now there are a lot of 1 and 2 year old brand new SG's on sale online. All the majors retailers have 1 or 2 different models. Just check their websites and ask about specific models on the forum.

8. mcdetroit586

mcdetroit586 New Member

Remember, at guitar center you can return anything within 30 days, no questions asked. If you order something online have it shipped to the store, you can unbox it and just say I want a refund without even taking it home. They might not refund the shipping, but that's only $20, or at least was in my case.

jojo68 likes this.
  9. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

A basic setup on a guitar store item is one of my least worries. The wide experience level in those places' employees virtually leaves it up in the air as to how well it's set up.

They should have a basic set up, true. Most of the time the action is left a little high to avoid a fret buzz. Most people would hear a buzz and just move in to the next item, so there is that.

A more refined setup is pretty easy, especially in this age of YouTube, etc. Instead of being concerned with that kind of thing, I look more at the condition of the guitar, the electronics, neck warping, etc.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    cerebral gasket and jojo68 like this.
  10. Colnago

Colnago Active Member

I'm not a Guitar Center fanboy, but it's not fair to come on a forum and claim to have had a bad experience when there wasn't one had.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  11. juliang

juliang New Member

There is a Guitar Center opposite my work. It is like living in constant temptation. They have always treated me extremely well. I bought a 2018 SG std from them, it was awful. The neck had twisted so... they got me another. Hey they knocked $150 off a $500 brand new Yamaha acoustic for me recently too. I played the Sweetwater card :-) I really like having guitar center around so I can go try stuff. My gear card has a $4k limit which is sinful!

12. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Also, there is this: Setup is crucial on an SG, or on any guitar. Expect to get any of them
    set up after buying. Who knows how long it's been sitting in a warehouse.

The best thing to do at Guitar Center is buy the guitar you want, and at the price you like.
    Then take it to the best luthier you can afford and get it set up to suit your style.
    So if GC has a great sale going, take advantage!

Rejecting a guitar because you don't like the setup is not smart IMHO. They ALL need
    setup. Allowing a guitar salesman to 'set up' your guitar is also not smart IMHO. They
    are sales guys, not luthiers. Use the sales guy to get the guitar you want, and then
    use the luthier to make it perfect. Paying for setup should be regarded as part of the price.

Many of us do our own setups, and avoid paying. That's fine if you have the knowledge and
    experience. But I maintain that an expert luthier has tools and measuring devices that the
    normal guitarist does not own, and the luthier knows how to put these to work. So for me,
    the first setup is the most important, and I can keep it in good order after i get that done.
    IMG_1100@100.jpg

13. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Here's a bad GC experience, for GC. A couple of years ago when I was gigging more, I went looking for a Les Paul. I was planning to get a Gibson Studio, but played an Epi traditional that really felt and sounded good. It had incurred two cracked knobs along the way, but was being sold as new first stock, so I took it to the counter and said, "I'd like to buy this if you'd put new knobs on it."
    Looking like I'd asked for gold plated strings the kid behind the counter said, "I'm sorry sir, but I'm not authorized to do that. I'll be happy to sell you a new set of knobs, though."
    "I dare say you would, but I think you'd have a better chance of selling me accessories if you sold me the guitar first. How about I talk to the manager?"
    The kid leaves for a minute and comes back." He's at lunch, but told me to say you can bring it back and he'll see if it's covered under warranty."
    I kid you not, they let me walk out without a guitar over a $5 set of knobs. That is a deadly error for any retailer.

Col Mustard, dub-setter and rotorhead like this.
  14. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

With the way the economy is, and the way stores are closing, I worry they'll close before I can return something.

15. Hack

Hack Member

I've played guitars with factory setups and been happy with them because I never knew any better. Then I had a professional set up by a luthier, and was amazed by the guitar. Imho a professional setup from a luthier is now a requirement for me. My luthier has been working on guitars longer than I have been alive, and he can turn a fiat into a Ferrari.

Chubbles likes this.
  16. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Dissing a company on a public forum claiming that you had a bad experience because somehow it is their fault that you are too impatient.

1st world problem.

Biddlin likes this.
  17. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

I don't worry much about set ups in stores....I have enough experience at this point to just KNOW if a guitar will work for me or not. Having said that....very few people would like My guitar the way I have them set up anyway. I have been setting up guitar for many years and just don't necessary do it the "correct" way. I will also say I have bought many used guitars online, sometimes they were set up so bad that the seller probably thought they were ripping me off.....after my setup it was usually them who should not have accepted my offer. I have never met a guitar that I couldn't set up to be decent to great.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Col Mustard likes this.
  18. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

The factory setup on most guitars is "conservative" at best. Some also really aren't intended for ultra low action. I had an Ibanez Prestige RG2550E, and there really isn't enough travel in the saddles to intonate properly at super low string height. I like my guitars at the 12th fret at around 3/64-4/64 on the high E, and 4/64 - 5/64 on the low E. I don't see why people are so obsessed with super low action.

19. Robert Morris

Robert Morris Member

Point taken. I guess I was being a little bitch about it. Like I said I didn’t give them any grief about it I just left. I appreciate all the comments and will be better for them. I’m just going to pull the trigger on one and take it to my guy for a set up. I have 45 days so if it goes on a better sale I will get the difference refunded. Or if I’m not satisfied at all. Thanks again

20. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Good! Let us know how it works out for you. And of course we want to see photos when you keep the guitar.
    Glad you did't get scared away by the criticizing comments. Welcome to the forum!

arcticsg likes this.