Another easy way to polish your SGJ

shamu1

Reaction score
I saw a thread a few weeks ago on how to polish an SGJ using Matco teakwood finish. I tried that on my LPJ recently, and it worked really well. However, I found another way to polish a Gibson "J" guitar, this time my SGJ.

I did this because although I love "fadeds", I wasn't wild about the dull, chalky finish on the SGJ. All it took was some fine grade steel wool and some lemon oil. What I did was rub down the entire guitar with the steel wool - neck, body, fretboard, everything. Wipe everything down with a dry cloth. After that, rub in lemon oil on the wood you just polished with the steel wool. Wait a half hour, then add a second coat. Wait another half hour, then buff everything with the dry cloth. It's easy as that.

Unfortunately I never took any "before" photos of my SGJ, but here are a bunch of pics showing what it looked like a day after I did the polishing, and still looks like this:

Picture011.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture010.jpg

What I like is that it gives the whole guitar a subtle shine, while keeping the pores and grain open, so it looks like a piece of good quality antique furniture.

everdying

Reaction score
wouldnt the lemon oil eventually dry?
then have to repeat the whole process again?

shamu1

Reaction score
wouldnt the lemon oil eventually dry?
then have to repeat the whole process again?

All I know is that I polished the guitar about a month ago, right after I bought it, and it still looks the same as in the pictures. So I haven't had to repeat the procedure yet.

Biddlin

Reaction score
Won't any liquid polish eventually dry out?:hmm:
Looks good, shamu1.:thumb:
Here's mine about 8 months since I used Guitar Nomad polish.

biddlin-albums-cb-picture9884-dscn0263.jpg
biddlin-albums-cb-picture9885-dscn0266.jpg
biddlin-albums-cb-picture9887-dscn0264.jpg
biddlin-albums-cb-picture9889-dscn0268.jpg

I wipe it with a clean cloth after every use and use Fingerease on the neck after any significant play time.
Use a good non-silcone polish and you'll be fine. I'm certain they all recommend "Repeat, as needed!":laugh2:

shamu1

Reaction score
Looks good Biddlin. Looks like you were able to get rid of that chalky satin finish and get it more down to the wood. I think it looks so much better than the unpolished satin look.

shamu1

Reaction score
Plus, I've gotten to like the look of those blank black pickup covers. Gives the whole guitar a spare, raw, brutal look. Perfect or a raw, brutal guitar like this.

Is the SGJ the most SG of all SGs?

Last edited:

rockerbilly58

Reaction score
No doubt about it, SGJ's look much better with a bit of shine (and a pickguard). I can't wait t get a Fireburst and give it the treatment.

LeadFinger

Reaction score
"No doubt about it, SGJ's look much better with a bit of shine (and a pickguard). I can't wait t get a Fireburst and give it the treatment."

I'm on the fence. The spare, "woody" vibe of the SGJ is wonderful, but the finish is really delicate. I like the look of these, and like the idea of cleaning and protecting the wood a bit.

Q: Does anyone use the Stu Mac polish? It's supposed to be super safe for any finish.

Thanks to you shamu1 for these postings. Nice idea about the fine steel wool. But did you tape off the pickups first? Just polishing my strat neck and frets with it, and I can't seem to keep that fine steel dust from getting into things.

shamu1

Reaction score
"No doubt about it, SGJ's look much better with a bit of shine (and a pickguard). I can't wait t get a Fireburst and give it the treatment."

I'm on the fence. The spare, "woody" vibe of the SGJ is wonderful, but the finish is really delicate. I like the look of these, and like the idea of cleaning and protecting the wood a bit.

Q: Does anyone use the Stu Mac polish? It's supposed to be super safe for any finish.

Thanks to you shamu1 for these postings. Nice idea about the fine steel wool. But did you tape off the pickups first? Just polishing my strat neck and frets with it, and I can't seem to keep that fine steel dust from getting into things.

Yes definitely put tape over the pickups. I should have mentioned that so thanks for the reminder. I had the same problem.

Biddlin

Reaction score
Preservation_Polish_sm.jpg

My bass player uses this stuff. Works fine.(I like my Music Nomad One, better)

SGJ2014

Reaction score
I'm guessing I can use mineral oil? Since I keep reading that lemon oil is actually mineral oil.

Daveso

Reaction score
Biddlin do you use the Nomad Guitar Polish or the Guitar One?

Biddlin

Reaction score
The Guitar One.
guitarONE_small.jpg

So far I've used it once.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I applied the polish several months ago and have just wiped it down after use, since.
There is no wax buildup in the grain and the finish is now very similar to the satin finish on my cherry Faded Special. I use their fret board oil, too.
f-one_sm.jpg

;>)/

Attachments

• DSCN0263.jpg
    DSCN0263.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN0269.jpg
    DSCN0269.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Bitemeivan.jpg
    Bitemeivan.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN0264.jpg
    DSCN0264.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 163

Daveso

Reaction score
Ok thanks! I was a little concerned as the Guitar One does have a carnauba wax in it. I definitely don't want any wax build up on the SGJ but I love the look of the way yours came out. Do you use the Guitar Polish just to give it a fresh look again? I wonder what the Polish by itself would do?

EDIT: I assume the process is straightforward? No buffing or anything?

Heket

Reaction score
Slightly off-topic... do these polishes work for matte poly finishes too? I like the colour of the finish on my bass, but like the SGJs it can look a little dry.

Biddlin

Reaction score
No buffing or anything?
I lightly buffed away the dried carnauba wax (haze) with a microfiber cloth, going with the grain. As I say, I've applied it once and have simply wiped the guitar down with a clean cloth since.
Slightly off-topic... do these polishes work for matte poly finishes too? I like the colour of the finish on my bass, but like the SGJs it can look a little dry.
Yes, it is safe on all finishes and should do fine on your bass.
Heres a worn faded Epiphone with poly finish, also a single treatment approximately 5 months ago.
biddlin-albums-98-workhorse-picture1047-03-vintage-1frnt.jpg

My philosophy is "a little dab'll do ya." so just "mist" your axes, don't soak 'em.
;>)/

Last edited:

Latest posts