Another Supro | Black Magick Reverb Kicks A**!!

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by tolm, Aug 15, 2020.

1. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

Okay ... I’ll try and keep this brief ... but will probably fail!

Over lockdown, my Gibson SG Standard ‘61 and Gretsch Duo Jet have very much become my go-to guitars. So much so that I started disliking my 335 and decided to part-ex it. Initially I picked up a PRS but - whilst it sounded good - I just didn’t bond with it, so took it back and the store agreed to just give me the cash for the 335. It’s my local store - both they and I know that money will likely end up back with them at some point!!

With cash in my pocket I started to look about for other gear but couldn’t think of a single guitar I really wanted. However, I’ve been gigging with a Supro Neptune Reverb 2x12 combo and my pedalboard for a few years now but loved the gain tones when I played a Black Magick a while back so have long fancied picking one up: specifically, the Reverb version which comes with a Master Volume ...

I hunted around online and could only find one in stock in the whole of Europe - at a shop in Italy, but also listed on Reverb. I fired some questions to them which they answered very quickly and so I put in a cheeky offer in ... which was accepted! And this duly arrived on Monday:

[​IMG]

First impressions playing at home were good ... but then I used it to rehearse with my band on Wednesday and ... holy moly, this thing is INCREDIBLE. Fantastic overdrive tones and so much volume on tap. Ran a single OD pedal (OCD Ge) for heavier stuff but the amp handled everything else on its own - with further variances in gain levels by just varying pickups selection / guitar volume. Gonna try it next week with a ZVex Box of Rock which - assuming I can keep the pedals low end in check - should give me a lead boost as well whilst keeping the “traveling light” vibe alive!

This is the 4th Supro I’ve had and makes an excellent “gain” option alongside the “clean” headroom of the non-master Neptune.

2. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Love the Black Magicks! Incredible sounding amps. Happy new gear day :D

3. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

Well, tried it with the Box of Rock and ... nah, there’s so much gain and low end already going on from the amp itself when cranked that adding the BoR doesn’t really do much other than mushing up the low end. Sounds great with the amp set clean ... but that’s not really the point, now, is it?!!

Gonna stick with the OCD and ordered a Fat Boost (which has a 2-band EQ) to use for solos. Both will fit inside my SG case together so still a nice compact little setup for jams and rehearsals.