Any Epi Wildkat fans out there?

Sweetums

Reaction score
[GALLERY=media, 2740]2010 Epiphone Wildkat in Sunrise Orange by Sweetums posted May 18, 2019 at 7:27 PM[/GALLERY]

Got this in a trade a while back. Absolutely love it.

There's a lot of criticism on other forums for these. It seems like maybe the most serious flaw being the combo of the Bigsby trem plus a TOM bridge plus a short distance between the two results in the strings binding on the bridge. The previous owner tried to solve this problem by adding locking Sperzel tuners. Didn't solve the tuning issue, but the $15 drop-in replacement roller bridge that i got for it did. Also, I stretch out new strings and I've not had any tuning problems so far.

This instrument had a lot of firsts for me: first guitar with binding, first with P-90s, first with a master volume, first with locking tuners, first semi-hollow body, first curved top electric, first with a Bigsby.

A lot of reviews I've seen have said these sound too muddy and too dark as a result of too much wiring and cheap pots and caps, but mine sounds very well balanced to my ears. My significant other says it the best sounding instrument I've ever brought home.

The only thing I think Epiphone could have designed a little better would be the P-90 pickups. Unfortunately they are screwed down to the (curved) top of the guitar, so you can't adjust height on these at all. Also, replacement pickups are difficult (or impossible?) to find. Guess I'm lucky that I like how these sound.

Mine is completely stock other than the tuners and the bridge. I absolutely love to mod budget instruments but I can't justify changing anything else on this one.

Chubbles

Reaction score
I don't have one, but I was checking them out today. Some people add a roller bridge.

Biddlin

Reaction score
I have a Wildkat and dig it. I added a roller bridge and shimmed the Bigsby to decrease the string angle over the bridge.
DSCN0459.JPG DSCN0462.JPG
I frequently use it for "modern jazz" type gigs btw.

Last edited:

Biddlin

Reaction score
Unfortunately they are screwed down to the (curved) top of the guitar, so you can't adjust height on these at all.
Yeah, a classic archtop electric design quirk in the 50's, so we adjusted the pole pieces as best we could.

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
I had one, changed the pots, wiring and covers.

Semi and hollow bodies aren’t my bag, baby!

But it was a very nice guitar.

1-D5-BBE76-F610-4-B3-F-BC2-D-F1-D8-F60-B867-B.jpg

Latest posts