Any has re-beveled a Gibson for the 66' look ?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Man-SG, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Man-SG

Man-SG New Member

Any have pics ? Just for fun.

Any other here thinks Gibson never re issued the 66' with correct bevels ?

Gibson only cares for correct specs on 61' reissues, but no love for the 66' s.

I love to look at SGs pics, but only good looking batwing SGs are the vintage ones, and some signatures.

I re beveled an Epiphone G400, dont have pics, but looked so cool, also re shaped the headstock for a Melody Maker look.

2. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Just search for bevels here and you'll find plenty.

Man-SG and SG standard like this.
  3. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Given the amount of individual variation between SGs of any year, who gets to decide which ones are 'correct'? :)

Personally, I love the carve on my two batwing SGs, though the body carves, and even the batwings themselves are different:
    [​IMG]
    2016 Standard & 2018 Custom.

Difference between the batwings, not sure if this is a USA v. Custom Shop thing, or some sort of 'historically accurate' difference, especially as the Custom is not aiming at any historical accuracy - the 'Les Paul Custom' TRC on a Batwing SG being a sure sign of that! :)
    [​IMG]

PermissionToLand likes this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Re-beveling an SG sounds like clipping the ears on a pedigree dog.

koaguilds and GrumpyOldDBA like this.
  5. Silvertone

Silvertone Well-Known Member

Can you show the difference between 61 -62 and 66 for instance? I didn't think there would be much of a difference in those years, unless you are talking about individual guitars that were sanded differently to each other. Back in those days there was a lot of manual sanding that could change the bevels substantially. That would not make all 66s different than 62s for instance.

If you have the skill to strip and sand the carves you want and re-finish, have at it. It's a lot of work though. I'd be more inclined to find one you like.

Cheers Peter.

6. Man-SG

Man-SG New Member

Well, I mean correct for the 66 look, not in general. I mean, "the correct 1966 Standard look", not "the correct SG shape".

Look at ur 2016 Standard and the look SG from 1966 to 1969, the bevels are not the same.

Its personal of course, I like the old bevels, they are deeper. Gibson never did the same bevels for SGs, the most similar look on the Robbie Krieger (think wrote it wrong).

You mean carv difference between a 1962 SG and a 1966 ? Theres plent of difference. But dont know if I understood it right.

7. SG standard

You've completely missed my point - there is no 'correct for 66 look' or any other year - there was far too much variation between individual SGs, guitar-by-guitar, day-by-day, for there to be 'one correct look'. What we have is a generalisation - deeper carves in the early 60 than the later 60s, even less through the 70s.. The carve on my 2018 Custom is deeper than I've seen on some late 60s Customs... including a '66. If you want deep carves, you're more likely to find them on a 61-65 than a 66-69, but there's far too much individual variation to guarantee anything.

8. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

I don't know what the heck that is but now I want a chrome SG with mixed gold and silver hardware and pups.

SG standard likes this.
  9. Man-SG

Man-SG New Member

Yes, but still think you can make a generalization of the look of the 66 to 69 SG bevels, and also if u take any 66 SG you can see its different from the modern ones.

10. SG standard

Think whatever you want to - but it won't make it true.

'Modern ones' is even more of a generalisation; Gibson have used very different carves on various SGs just within the last decade, let alone the last 50 years. In fact, during 2016-2017 the entire SG range was duplicated as 'T' and 'HP' models, with the 'T' having shallower bevels than the 'HP' - presumably by intention, though god knows why, as 'T' stood for traditional, and the traditional carve is deeper... :hmm:

Quite randomly, here's a 2013 SG with carves as deep, if not deeper than I've ever seen on a late 60s SG, especially on the bass side horn:
    [​IMG]
    Compare with this '69 SG Standard:
    [​IMG]

Of course, you're welcome to think the '69 has deeper cut bevels than that 'modern' SG... but anyone can see it isn't true. In fact, both my batwing SGs have deeper carves on their horns - and you said "I like the old bevels, they are deeper". Well, obviously their not always deeper, especially late 60s, after the batwing came in.

The horns on 60s SG were hand finished in a fairly crude machine, and you'll even find ones with no carve at all on the reverse of the body, that's how much variation there was - there is no 'correct' carve, but generally early 60s were carved deeper than late 60s. Modern SGs have endless variations, though they tend to be far more consistent within a particular model/year.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  11. Man-SG

Man-SG New Member

The horns bevels maybe are deeper, but Im actually refering to the body side bevels that are deeper.

And anyway, I dont care which bevels are deeper.

I mean that Gibson never made the 66 look right again.

Norton likes this.
  12. Piper68Special

Piper68Special Active Member

cerebral gasket and Biddlin like this.
  13. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

14. SG standard

Interesting. Those are deeper on the '18 Custom too, compared to the '69 Standard.

Again, there is no '66 look', just a range of looks, this is especially especially true during the 60s. From the SG Wiki:
    One of the major design elements of the Gibson SG is the body's beveled edges. Over the years, there has been considerable variation in the style and depth of the beveling. Being done by hand, it can even vary substantially within the same year, but it became noticeably more consistent after the 1960s.

OK, fine, but you're the one who cares enough to have re beveled an Epiphone G400, and you're the one who brought the topic up. :rolleyes:

15. Man-SG

Man-SG New Member

Well, seems we have very polarizing thoughts, I think the best idea is a fight to dead with handmade weapons in a 8X8 meters closed arena. Do you have any extra miles ?

16. Silvertone

Silvertone Well-Known Member

Yeah - that's what I meant. I like the 62 carves. I laser scanned a 62 recently and made a 3d model of it and removed the roundovers from sanding. Here is what how those bevels looked. Probably what they looked like right off the shaper / pin router.
    3d_model-07.jpg

I'm not sure how these would differ from a 66 version and that was the reason for my question.

Regards Peter.

17. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

That's a very questionable statement. Most of the new SGs I've seen (of any style or make) are pretty much unlike an early sixties guitar.
    Now, if you were talking about Les Pauls I might be inclined to agree.

18. rocknrollmouse

rocknrollmouse New Member

Might be helpful if the op posted a pic of the details desired, or even a marked up pic with arrows showing where greater/lesser bevels are desired?

In the meantime, I did find this - a 66 style Epi, does this get close to the 66 desired?

N_012915A3.jpg

19. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

in the opposite direction maybe.

20. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Most batwings do not have deep bevels. The switch to the batwing only came in mid 1966 and by then the decreasing bevels were already starting. By 1969, there was a big difference from 1966 in general.

But they are making a good point, there was a lot of variation in beveling back then.

But speaking generally, I would say modern bevels are probably closest to '66-67 if anything. They aren't as deep as '61 and they aren't as shallow and narrow as '69.

Anyway, if we ever hope to see a true batwing reissue, it will be from the Custom Shop, not the USA Standard. But Gibson really doesn't seem to care about batwings, even as the originals are going for over $4,000 and they reissue Les Pauls from the '70s including "The Paul", FFS...

cerebral gasket likes this.