Any solid state amp users?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Lumpy Waters, May 3, 2013.

1. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

i've only owned four amps, two of them were SS… never again for me.

Melmord Fjordslorn likes this.
  2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

The whole solid state thing depends SO much on what one want from an amp.

Mostly I want a clean full-range tone that can take a few pedals for distortion, etc.

Solid state works great for that, my big rig, which does not get much use these days, is a Yamaha G100-III head.

However I also love a Fender clean, so I have some tube amps too, and that is also the sound I try to dial in on the SS amps.

Now if I wanted a certain tone color, particularly with natural tube distortion, and so on, then I may feel otherwise as so many do and be a tube tone hound.

But for a "hi-fi" clean sound, SS amps are ideal, if you have a good one. So many people's opinions are based on crappy cheap student level tranny amps anyway, many have never played a really good SS amp.

lineboat likes this.
  3. sneakerpimp

sneakerpimp Member

i like Fenders too, the Deluxe Reverb and Blues Deville both deliver quality cleans.

4. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Active Member

I have 7 amps and only two of them are truly analog solid-state:

The brown one is a Stagg 40AA-R Acoustic amplifier
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the other one is the Marshall Lead 12 3005 Microstack (with severe upgrades by me)

Right after I bought it (still reaking of cigarette smoke and old...almost mold smell)
    [​IMG]

Got some cabinet badges, found two black plastic frames for them (authentic Marshall frames):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got The Sign Chef to make me new brushed-gold aluminum cabinet badges (to replace the plastic engraved ones) AND a new faceplate (expensive, but it worked):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Upgraded the speakers from the stock Celestion G12D-25s to brand new Celestion G10 Vintage. Old speakers are on the left, new ones on the right. Look at the size of that magnet!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I even took the time to replace the black plastic jack nuts on the speaker output jacks with red ones (just like the full-size modern Marshalls have now):
    [​IMG]

Which, of course, made me do the same on the back of my Fender Mustang V head (red speaker output jacks and white footswitch jacks - all were black before):
    [​IMG]

I think the headphones jack should have been in the front of the amp and the Line Out jack in the back, but whatever. To switch the two, I'd have to add LOTS of wire inside the amp. It's probably not worth the effort - not to mention the labels would be wrong at that point. And why the hell is that headphone jack MONO output? I only get sound on one side of my headphones instead of both. Maybe I could look into fixing THAT. :hmm:

Achievement Unlocked!
    -Thread Hijack!-

slappy2x likes this.
  5. old mark

old mark Active Member

Old Peaveys.
    I have 4 of them, all US made in the 80's. My first old Peavey was my 86 Studio Pro 40 watts, gigantic sound in a small box. I love the tones - great cleans for jazzy blues and beautiful spring reverb, and the saturation and overdrive is just mean.

They sound great no matter what the volume setting, so I can get Marshal stack tone at very low volume.

And if you really want loud, Peaveys will do that real good!

I have that Studio Pro, another 86 Bandit 75 watt, and a gigantic Renown 2 x 12 combo amp that puts out 400 watts...and they ain't kidding!

Also have an older Peavey bass amp and a '70's Peavey tube amp, 2 x 12, 100 watts from the late '70's...the model is called the Vintage. Pete Townsend used one for recording at one point...the speakers in mine are replaced with 1960's Jensen Steelbacks..sounds like an old Fender, but tighter.

mark

6. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Mark,

Love those old Peavey's man.:applause:They are remarkable. Solid and always ready for action. In my shop there were five Marshalls for every one Peavey in for repairs. The old models I had always gave me 100% every time I flipped the switch. Glad you got some of the good ones there!:thumb:

Wade

Melmord Fjordslorn and old mark like this.
  7. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I used to have a Peavey Studio Pro 40, also. It was a cool amp. Honestly, I kinda miss it. My solid-state amp now is a Peavey Transtube 212 Special. It is also a nice sounding amp. It is also my most powerful amp. My tube amps are all low wattage amps.

old mark likes this.
  8. old mark

old mark Active Member

I have read, and I certainly believe, that there are more Peavey amps on the road with working bands than any other brand. They are near indestructible, capable of great sounds, reliable and cheap...and you can find a replacement almost anywhere should you need one quick. They make great sound gear in general, too with all the attributes of their amps...they also made some amazing and unknown guitars and basses back in the old days, and I have a few of those, too.

mark

dbb and Tobacco Worm like this.
  9. weemac

weemac Active Member

I have another Peavey love story so stop reading now if you can't hack story's about good solid state amps.
    Only today I was at a vintage and rare guitar show at a music store that I have purchased many things from over the years...
    Now I use a Peavey Audition 20 amp at the folk club so I can gently caress my Sg and mix in with several heavy handed dreadnought players..
    In the quest for tone I have become interested in small valve amps. I took my peavey amp to the store so I could test it against a new Vox AC4tv (I was impressed with the you tube demos).
    I plugged the Vox in with a new Les Paul Junior (my SGs were in the guitar show bit) and toyed around with the volumes and tones on both the amp and guitar. I thought it was pretty cool, and hellishly loud for its wattage.
    I plugged the peavey in and gave it some volume to match the vox.
    I played the first chord and then a couple of riffs and then fiddled the guitar..
    I paused and then stared at my nephew (who was present). I then tested the Vox and then the Peavey again and then looked at my nephew again..
    "It's not meant to be like this is it!" I said to him..
    "No...." He replied..
    The Vox was good for what it was but the Peavey murdered it in every department including that difficult "half cooked" sound that SS amps often kind of suck at.
    The peavey was more responsive to volume changes as well..
    We sought out the shops resident amp hound and asked him to find a favourite guitar and try both of the amps. He grabbed a nice strat and tried the Vox first.. Yep a good sound, he then tried the peavey, bashed one chord than looked at me...
    He then put the strat through its paces and then stopped for another pregnant pause...
    " Well that happens from time to time" he mused..
    We then discussed how on earth this $25 old Peavey kicked a Vox's bum and that it shouldn't really be possible...

The moral of the story is:
    Use your ears not your prejudice....

I went home feeling that I just purchased a great little amp for free..

Eden.

10. old mark

old mark Active Member

weemac, I played NOTHING BUT tube amps for over 40 years, including the holy grail Supro. A few years ago, I got my old Studio Pro, and I now own nothing but old Peaveys...all but 1 are solid state. Sometimes people go by what they read and these things just get passed along with no real evidence. Peavey amps are great, and will kick the ass off most tube amps at less than 1/4 of the price.

mark

11. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Lots of guitar and amp lore are myths with no real evidence to support them.

12. old mark

old mark Active Member

It's the internet, dude...:dude:

"Not everything you see on the internet is true..." Abraham Lincoln

mark

Col Mustard likes this.
  13. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Do amp sims count as solid state amps? :)

14. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Are there any tubes? NO!
    So I'd include them at least with modeling amps.

Col Mustard and Biddlin like this.
  15. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Well, using that criteria, then I'd have to consider myself a huge solid state amp booster then.

That said, I'm especially enamored with the POD's Marshall 2000 and Soldano amp sims as of late.

16. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I'm using three ss amps these days, a Fender Mustang I modeling amp, a Vox Pathfinder, and a vintage Fender RAD . My main gigging amp is a hybrid Vox.
    I like the Mustang very much and the Vox Pathfinder is very practical and good sounding . The valvetronix hybrid is also very good, but can be a tricky set-up. I will probably find a Fender Princeton ss, if I continue to gig larger venues. I find solid state infinitely easier to deal with in live performance, than valves .
    Biddlin ;>)/

Col Mustard and Tobacco Worm like this.
  17. Krosis

Krosis Well-Known Member

lunchbox and Gemini75 like this.
  18. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

19. Krosis

Krosis Well-Known Member

MF and Sweetwater have it for pre-order at $449. Seems a little high for a solid-state but then again it still one of the least expensive Orange heads. If GC carries it I will have to test it out and if I like it I'll probably be doing some trade-ins.

20. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

At a 120 watts you know that thing is going to loud.