Any solid state amp users?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Lumpy Waters, May 3, 2013.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

I bet if you put that on top of a 4X12 cab and dime it, that you could drop a charging rhino at 60 paces! :wow: From what I see that head is beautifully brutal! I like it. :)

Wade

Col Mustard likes this.
  2. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

If I had a 4X12, I'd buy one.

3. Krosis

Krosis Well-Known Member

I just have a 1x12, may I should pass.

4. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Unless you're looking to blow your speaker, probably yes then.

Since you have 1X12, why not get a Micro Terror?

Biddlin likes this.
  5. Krosis

Krosis Well-Known Member

MT is what I'm using :)

6. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

How do you like it? Also, are you boosting it with anything?

7. Krosis

Krosis Well-Known Member

The MT is actually pretty darn good. I play mostly doom metal so a "bigger" amp would be better, but I really only practice in my room so it's plenty loud for that. Wade sent me a DigiTech Hot Head Distortion pedal and the MT sounds killer with it. Before that, I was using just a Bad Monkey which also sounded good. I also figured out how to use my Bad Monkey in conjunction with my Swollen Pickle Fuzz and that's also really good. The MT has a lot of potential, but I would probably benefit from a louder amp if I ever gig, which will probably be never so the MT is working out just fine :laugh2:

thatbastarddon likes this.
  8. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Throwing a ts in front of a fuzz will definitely give you a thick, heavy tone.

I was thinking that if I do get an MT that I'd like to throw an old Boss HM2 in front of it.

9. Krosis

Krosis Well-Known Member

I'm curious to hear what the HM2 would sound like with the MT. I have a Metal Muff, but I don't like it through the MT. HM2 might be better.

10. ambrs57

ambrs57 New Member

Charlotte, NC but a Denver Bronco fan (used to liv
    Peavey Bandit. End of story for me. Had a Peavy Muscian back in the mid 70s. Unbelievably loud. In my garage band days used to play my 72 SG Pro thru a Ram's Head Big Muff, with the amp's distortion setting cranked in. Amp set to about 7 was enough to keep our drummer in check.

Got a Bandit in 86 when they were first out. Even for then, the dirty channel was mean and usable. Great amp. Got my first Trans Tube - a Peavey Envoy in 99 and was very satisfied. Finally decided four years ago to enter the world of tube amps, but one day, after months of trying out every model imaginable for under $1,000 I plugged in to one of the new Bandits, just out of curiosity. The warm setting on the clean channel nailed the jazz tone I was looking for. Bought the amp right on the spot and never been happier. Didn't care much for the dirty channel at first, but over time have discovered how to get just about anything I want out of it. Amazingly responsive and to my ears, sounds as good as or better than anything out there. Peavey engineers are genuises. Trans Tube technology, totally analog, and it works.

Recently replaced the stock speaker with an Eminence Texas Heat. It put the Bandit on a whole new level of sweet cleans and snarly, growling, dirt heaven. Push the distortions with a Bad Monkey and the amp goes off the cliff. The Bandit clean channel also takes all kinds of dirt pedals really well. Peavey makes the best SS and the Bandit is the top dog. But then, tone is in the ears of the beholder.

Tobacco Worm and Biddlin like this.
  11. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I suppose my new Peavey Vypyr VIP-2 would be SS, as it sure ain't a tube amp!

Great amp models, sounds excellent....and light for a 12" speaker combo amp.

12. Tobacco Worm

ambrs57,

I'm with ya all the way man. The last club amp I had was a 1st. gen Peavey Bandit, the old 50W model. So solid and beefy that I almost never had to mike it anyplace we played. It later went into service on a cruise ship for a buddy that was playing long gigs at sea and needed an amp that would not fail. Ever.... After three years at sea that amp came back to me and was just fine.

Still playing an old Peavey in the form of the Backstage ('81 if I recall). A simple early "Saturation" edition that hits about 22W RMS into a 10" and it simply sounds divine. Clean or dirty it sings.

There's not a single tube in my place anymore. 100% analog SS amps abound, but no more bottle jobs for this old man. It's SS all the way, with the Peavey leading the bunch too! :naughty:

ambrs57 likes this.
  13. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I still have a couple of small Fender amps with tubes, but as you say, Peavey has got something with whatever it is they do, "transtube" or some marketing name.

I would defy someone to tell on a recording if the Peavey amp involved was all tube or was SS or modeling.

I no longer have the early 80's Peavey Pacer (or something) and that large but impossible to kill mixing board in my collection, but I still have a "vintage" late 70's BackStage 30, an early 90's AC or battery portable keyboard amp, and now the Vypyr VIP-2 modeling amp and an early 90's Peavey Predator guitar.

Evidently I'm a Peavey customer.

14. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

The early Peaveys with the Saturation control (like on my old Peavey Studio Pro 40) was different than the Transtube. The Transtube really just uses MOSFETs, instead of standard transistors, for the power stage.

MOSFETS have a gain curve that is not exactly like a tube, but is closer to a tube than regular transistors. Nevertheless, the old Studio Pro 40 was a great amp for the money.

I have a Peavey Transtube Special 212 that is a few years old and it sounds pretty nice. It has two clean voices and two gain (or distortion) voices. It isn't a modeling amp; however, as there is no processor. It can get very loud. Its large and heavy enough that I ended up putting casters on it.

Honestly, though, my favorite go-to amp is my old '73 all-tube (even a tube rectifier) Fender Champ. It takes pedals great and sounds SO much bigger than it is when mic'ed up.

15. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

No wonder I like it - it's like my old Yamaha SS G-100 III head, which sounds great...and uses MOSFETs.

16. Tobacco Worm

17. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Hmm, are we counting digital amps as soild state? What's the difference? They aren't using tubes, but I often hear amps as three separate categories - tube, solid state, digital modellers (and hybrids of the above).

If we're counting digital too, I'm going to make a shoutout to the Yamaha THR5! Fantastic little box of fun with good quality sound and a lot of tricks, including being able to use it as a bass amp and a recording device. It's designed to be quiet with an unobtrusive sound that you can happily play in situations where you would otherwise need headphones.

18. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

3 tube amps

1 digital modeling amp

1 analog solid state.

I play the digital modeling amp (also ss) the most. Fender Mustang I. Perfect little practice amp with dozens and dozens of very good tones at your finger tips. It sit right next too my 1976 Marshall, my 1978 Fender Champ, and my Champion 600. I reach for the Mustang almost every time.

dbb likes this.
  19. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

We Yamaha owners know how good their stuff is!

Technically modeling amps would be SS.

But - there are hybrids, like some of the line 6 models, the Super Champ Fenders, and others that combine digital modeling with tubes, usually in the power amp.

These are great items but neither all fish nor all fowl, reminding me of the Music Man amps of the past the had SS preamps and tube power amps.

I suppose the real diving line should be all-tube "traditional" (maybe allowing SS rectification) class A or A/B amps, and Everything Else that has a transistor, chip, op-amp or whatever.

20. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Do amp sims count?