Anybody have a Harley Benton HB-35Plus??

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by sazista, Aug 8, 2020.

1. sazista

sazista Active Member

I can't explain it, but for some reason I fell in love with this thing after reading about it and listening to reviews. I have NEVER liked these kinds of guitars, nor anything similar. But THIS one has me on edge; of course the price plays a big part in it too. I like the SG-ish pointy-ness that it has to the cutaways.
    I am most worried about the weight. I'm spoiled forever by SGs. I do not like heavy guitars. Any feedback is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Is it just me ? In the first sequence up to 2:00 and then again at 3:40, there's a visual lag, audio is not synchronized.

Anyways, it looks like it can sound great, but you never know what it's going to be like in your own tone chain.

3. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

So far I haven't come across a heavy hollow body guitar - something to do with air being lighter than wood I guess. ;)
    Seriously, the hollow bodies I've owned have been in the 3.4kg (Reverend, chambered large bodies but Korina) to 3.7kg (Gibson, chambered small body but mahogany), with traditional large bodied archtop construction in between at 3.5kg. My SG's have all been around 3.4 to 3.5kg.

Personally I don't see that body shape as pointy, but I guess I'm used to this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. brashboy

brashboy New Member

The HB35 is a wonderful git for the price, much better than a Firefly n I've played both. Expect 7 to 8 lbs bc of center block, prob a little heavier than most SGs, just the price of poker.

5. sazista

sazista Active Member

I will see if it's possible to get one here in Chile. We have an incredibly expensive Customs system here where they tack on an additional 24% of the value of any international item. Sometimes they will just 'happen' to hold on to the goods for awhile before alerting us, then charge us per day for storage!! Anyhow, I've also compared it to the Artcore AS73 in GREEN. Wow, that is a beautiful machine.
    That Reverend looks fantastic too! I'd take that any day, but it's a bit more in price.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

A friend of mine ordered a HB 35 from Thomann in Dec 2019. In May 2020 he got a notice that his credit card had been charged and that the guitar had shipped. When it had not arrived a month later, he contacted Thomann who informed him that there had been an issue with shipping to California and his guitar had been put back in stock, but they would retry. It finally arrived at the end of July, rough fret work, just OK flame top, good pickups and push-pull pots, cheap knobs and tuners. Sounds decent, but not better than similar knock-offs from Monoprice or other Asian discount brands.

7. sazista

sazista Active Member

Thanks for the feedback. This is helpful.

8. Jim Nihil

Jim Nihil New Member

My HB Les Paul GT was a horror-show. Wobbly tuners (stayed in tune though), nut cut with a chainsaw, pickups were set in a 30 degree angle, and the frets needed leveling, polishing, and desprouting. You are really gambling when you go for a HB. I've since put some work into it and made it playable, but it's not worth the trouble in my opinion.

9. sazista

sazista Active Member

Lol!! Oh my goddess!!! Wow.. did you buy it unseen? Where? Did you try and return it? Lol!! Sorry.. you've a way with words. Post some pics of the 30 degree diving pickups!!!