Anybody use an original 1960s vintage Gibson wraparound bridge with a plain G? (1960s Lightning bolt)

Stock vintage lightning bolt or modern intonated bridge?

• Vintage lighting bolt

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Modern replacement

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

fernieite

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone here uses your original 1960s lightning bolt bridge with a plain G string?

I know many have recommended the MojoAxe CWT60, or Music City Savvy replacements.

However, is it possible to get close enough intonation with the stock 1960s lightning bolt bridge, while using a plain G string? (NOT wound)

Last edited:

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I once sold a wound G lightning bolt from a ‘69 Jr because
A.) it was annoyingly out with a plain G.
and
B.) it sold for a lot of money on eBay.

Flash-forward a few decades and my ‘21 Junior has a plain G lightning bolt.

Anise

Reaction score
I get pretty spot on intonation with plain Gs on my LPJ copy's lightning bar.

Though I had that same bridge on an old low-end Epi Jr in the 90s. That guitar never intonated close enough to make me happy. That thing had all kinds of issues though, so not surprised.

As for the poll, I went with Vintage, because I like the simplicity, but I don't mind the Modern ones with adjustable saddles.

Bijou Drains

Reaction score
Owner of a 1968 SG Special. Took it to a luthier formerly with PRS) in 2018 for a refret. He recommended a bone nut and a MojoAxe compensated wraparound lightening tailpiece. My SG pretty much retains tuning / intonation for weeks, only requiring the most minute tuning. I’ve never had to adjust the intonation in 4 years and I’d bet it never sounded this good when it left the factory. My SG turned out EXACTLY as I had hoped - 100% frustration-free playability! Would opt for these changes again, in a heartbeat! BTW, I still have the original wraparound bridge, nut and Maestro vibrato tucked away in its original case.

45460E69-8CDB-4000-84BF-1C352B7BF403.jpeg

Last edited:

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I get pretty spot on intonation with plain Gs on my LPJ copy's lightning bar.

Though I had that same bridge on an old low-end Epi Jr in the 90s. That guitar never intonated close enough to make me happy. That thing had all kinds of issues though, so not surprised.

As for the poll, I went with Vintage, because I like the simplicity, but I don't mind the Modern ones with adjustable saddles.

60’s style for a wound G
B1A2025C-7E82-49EE-A3F3-EFD711F95034.jpeg

Modern style for an unwound plain G
85BED739-93E6-4119-8538-4E7D5A998CAA.jpeg

Maguchi

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone here uses your original 1960s lightning bolt bridge with a plain G string?

I know many have recommended the MojoAxe CWT60, or Music City Savvy replacements.

However, is it possible to get close enough intonation with the stock 1960s lightning bolt bridge, while using a plain G string? (NOT wound)
Yep, I use one for an unwound plain G string. Not sure if the original '60s models were designed for wound or unwound G strings. You got a pic?

20221004_192508.jpg

Richard

Reaction score
I have the same jr as Angus. Mine has EB Slinky's 0.010. G string on the Original bridge was quite good on the chords, but was way off higher on the neck. A compensated mojoaxe replacement is spot on. Sound-wise it's superb. Highly recommended.

Latest posts