Anyone else got pickups cutting thru pickguard?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Per eng, May 15, 2021.

1. Per eng

Per eng New Member

Only found one other sg on this forum with the neck pickup cutting thru the pickguard with its top corners. Mine is a 2004 model.

Attached Files:

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    That is a very poor piece of engineering design. Unless those rings were added later, in which case - meh,,,

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

No.
    That’s an SG Special Faded.
    Factory does not ship them with rings.

I install ring to bridge position only.
    Use foam shim under neck pup to level.

[​IMG]

The reason for adding rings is to level the top plane of the pup with the strings to offset the neck to body angle.

[​IMG]

This mod was more common back in the day with the Flying V, not so much with the SG.

Schenker, Downing, Hoffmann come to mind.

[​IMG]

The only time I have seen an SG with rings added to both pups is on Tipton’s SG Special with custom made mirror guard. Look up video clips of US Festival ‘83 Judas Priest for reference.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    jk67SG and pancake81 like this.
  4. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Nope. I think it's fairly obvious that thing is not supposed to be there and wasn't when new. Only other one I saw was a, by now, legendary "Custom shop" one where the customizer admitted, indeed proudly announced, that he'd put them there as part of his "customization". Some sh!t just don't fit. Baffles me why some don't just realize that.

5. Per eng

Per eng New Member

Thanks for this information. Looked a bit fishy.. will probably «clean» it up then.

6. Per eng

Per eng New Member

Anyone know the price for special faded sg’s in 2004? Was it a lower price range gibson sg?

7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I’ve purchased several 2003-2005 SG Special Faded a few years ago second hand and never paid more than $500 for each one.

These are the least expensive SG model because they have a satin finish with no grain filler.

DCCable and Per eng like this.
  8. MR D

MR D Member

Never seen a pickup ring on either pickup on a Batwing SG. Why that was added, IDK, correctly level Pup's to the strings?..I canpretty much get along with anything so it may not bother me looking like that...what it sounds like is what I'd like to hear.
    BTW, Pretty sure, the Special Faded's are the lowest priced SG's Gibson has made, adjusted for Inflation (AKA Unlegislated Taxation) over the years is that.

9. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

This is stock from Gibson with a pick up ring over the batwing

[​IMG]

10. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The neck pickup ring is strange.

pancake81 likes this.
  11. MR D

MR D Member

R U sure that is stock? I am trying to upload a picture of the Angus Young Signature SG, that appears to be the same as the lightning bolt Fret-Board In-Layed Guitar you have posted the picture of......the differences on the 2 guitars (IF I can get the dang pic uploaded) is that the one you posted a pic of (IF that pic you posted is a pic of an Angus Young Sig Model ? The ligtning bolt In-Lays suggest to me that the guitar is an AY SG, but why no engraved Chrome Tremolo? Stock ?) there is an abscence of the Chrome plated Maestro Tremolo with the 'ANGUS' engraved signature on the pic you posted. The 'ANGUS' engraved tremolo is on the one I am trying to upload. The one I am postiing clearly has no pick-up ring and is definitely an ANGUS YOUNG signature Model.

Disclaimer: I do not claim to be an expert on the AY Gibson SG Signature model series, or SG's, or any pther guitars with lightning bolt fret-board In-Lays. I do definitely know that those In-Lays are not common and I have only seen them on a very few guitars. The one AY Sig model I have seen in person ,IIRC, did NOT have the pickup ring, had the L B In-Lays and Chromed Maestro w/engraved signature...I did not inspect nor did I get too close to the guys prized possession SG but I would have most likely noticed a pickup ring like that. ANGUS SG.png

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  12. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

The picture you posted is of an older Gibson USA Signature. (There was also a more recent model with a small pickguard and no vibrola.) The one posted by @pancake81 is a Custom Shop.

13. MR D

MR D Member

I had no idea...TNX for the info.....
    As far as you know, did it have the Pick-Up ring out of the factory ? Could have been a M2M as well. That posted pic is the 1st I've seen of a Bat-Wing SG w/P-Up Ring.But what do I know? If I am not in the market for a guitar I tend to not care what Gibson is issuing on a year to year basis and do not even look at what is on that years menu.Had I known the year it was issued that there was a Gibson Angus Young signature guitar, I might have bought one.....

AFAIK, Angus 1st SG Standard is confirmed as having P-Up's w/Alnico 5 Mangets in it, I do not remember if they were T-Tops PAF's or what. BUT, I've not had an SG w/AL5 Magnet P-Up's...BUT BUT BUT, I am currently gearing up to put some Stock GIBSON pick-up's with those AL5 magnets in a BatWing SG Standard to try to get as close to Angus tone as possible.There is actually a show I am trying to duplicate the TONE off of, AC/DC @ a Stadium in Toronto, 2003 and ANGUS tone on the recordings I have heard from that show(s ?) seem a bit heavier than usual (IMO).Angus is famed for turning the Bass all the way down, maybe not that day ?

pancake81 likes this.
  14. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

The pickup ring was installed at the factory. Pickups were Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, or a variation of them. The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop now offers the High Voltage set:
    http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/high-voltage-humbucker-set/

papagayo likes this.
  15. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Well-Known Member

Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash did this to his '67 V a while back. He added a pair of original PAF humbuckers and wanted to level them. It also has the badge from a '58 on the headstock as well. That was his luthier's idea. He just about "used up" that guitar and it has become fragile so he rarely takes it far from his home in New England. He's had some custom Kevin Chilcotte Vs built that he tours with. By the way, he also sold at least one of his '50s Vs to Schenker. I cornered him a couple of times after concerts and he loves to talk guitars!

Bob

cerebral gasket likes this.
  16. pancake81

I am positive it is stock from Gibson, but it is an anomaly. Seems how the guitar is based off a 1970(ish) SG, but the guitar originally would have never come with the pick up ring on the full batwing. This was added by Angus (guitar tech) later. None the less, the Custom Shop signature comes with it.

I know the sound you are going for, and as mentioned by Skelt, you want to go for Seymour Duncan’s. The early Angus sound is T tops, and then Into 57’s and who knows what else. But as of about early 2000’s (stiff upper lip era) Angus has been using the Custom wound pearly gates for live shows. They are awesome in my opinion.

Your dates must be off on the gig you recall the Angus Tone on though. In 2003 the only ACDC in that area would have been the SARS fest in Toronto, downsview Park. Great show! Especially when Angus and Mal came out with the stones. I drove over 5000 km for that show!
    Perhaps you are thinking a few years earlier on the stiff upper lip tour?

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  17. pancake81

In the studio Angus runs just above 2 for bass on the head. I have photos of the sound boards from various shows, but they don’t mean much. The techs change them so much for each venue to get that sound dialed in.

[​IMG]

18. MR D

MR D Member

In the video that I looked up tonight, in Toronto, ANGUS Bat-Wing SG has the pickup ring on the Bridge Pick-up.Its the 2003 show @ Downsview Park...I had never seen that before today and its tough to pick out, but its there....the ring screws are more visible than the actual ring.......Good for GIBSON putting that on the guitar, was it only on the AY Custom Sig tho ?
    A quick look tonight and of course I cant find the video I was referring to, BUT it almost shocked me how ANGUS tone is surprisingly heavier than usual, maybe its the video? IDK. I am sure it was in Toronto. The video I am wanting to get the tone from, ANGUS has long hair, so 2003 is out as his hair is cut short @ that time. Maybe it was the 2009 'Black Ice' shows, IDK. The 2009 Tour was the 1st tour I missed, ever since the 1st show I saw w/Bonn playing the bag-pipes around when 'POWERAGE'/HTH came out......AC/DC WAS THE BACKUP BAND FOR 'CHEAP TRICK'..... I always go, its kinda like going to church w/me, I just go.Doesn't mattter where it is, I'm going...but I was indisposed in 2009, BWAH AHA AH !! Happens....

Pearly Gates then, eh ? Someone (you ?) mentioned Custom wound 'Pearly Gates'. Does Duncan do that to all of them? or.....SD PG's Custom Wound being a special order?

This is the 2nd time someone has suggestted 'Pearly Gates' as the way to go for an ANGUS Tone, do they have Alnico 5 magnets ? I looked at a set of PG's tonight, and it did not say, maybe I missed it, but ANGUS original SG pickup's definitely had Alnico 5 mags...so I am going for that, if its SD 'PG's or Burst-Buckers is yet to be determined.I have the right amp, and 'Up to my Neck in You' is sounding pretty fuckin bad-ass these days, IIDSSM.......gettin really close.

Good looking out Bro.....

19. pancake81

If your looking to learn more about Angus tone, these are some good starting points.

http://darthphineas.com/2016/09/seymour-duncan-custom-shop-angus-young/

20. pancake81

Earlier you were discussing the Angus Young signature SG’s. There has actually been a number of variations of this over the years. I will give a quick recap.

2000-2008: First Angus Young Signature
    - Cartoon headstock logo
    - Vibrola
    - 57 Classic (neck)
    - AY signature bridge pick-up (Gibson)
    - rosewood feet board

[​IMG]

009: Angus Young USA signature

- lighting bolts, but wrong scale
    - 57 classic (neck)
    - AY signature bridge pick up (Gibson)
    - two available colors, black and aged cherry
    - rosewood fret board

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

009 Custom Shop Signature: VOS
    - Lightly aged
    - Seymour Duncan PG custom wound
    - batwing pickgurd
    - bridge pick up ring
    - Large headstock
    - proper scale lightening bolts
    - ebony board
    - 3/4 sawn maple neck
    - Custom Angus Cherry
    - reverse ABR 1 bridge with nylon saddles
    - serial number AYxxx
    - production number - 200

[​IMG]

2009 Custom Shop - Aged and Signed

- same as VOS specs except for Aged (relic’d)
    - serial number issues signature and designated number
    - production number - 50

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2021