Anyone else got pickups cutting thru pickguard?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Per eng, May 15, 2021.

1. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

would have been somewhere about $600...definitely in the lower price range...

2. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The 1st generation Angus Young signature is a pure beauty, awesome brown finish/

Temp 47622.JPG

3. trypeus

trypeus New Member

The bottom ring looks smaller than the top one - would they swap?

4. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

As is the thread title.

pancake81 likes this.
  5. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Tell us about that SG, it’s stunning.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  6. VSG

VSG Member

No such issue here, as far as I can see assuming I understand what the issue is really about. SG4.jpg

7. MR D

MR D Active Member

TNX, I have seen that video, and met the Guy with the glasses backstage somewhere. The WHO I think it was 2019(?).....At 1st I thought he was the the Guy from Saturday Night Live, Garth or some $#!T ?....Whatever his name is he works for just about everyone....
    The 'POWERAGE' Tone or the Video I am referring to is what I am trying to get as far as an ANGUS tone goes...The MARSHALL's I have got closest with are a Jubilee Re-issue and a DSL ....the DSL was the closest, which surprised me, as it being a S E Asian Marshall. A lot of people think the S E Asian Marshall's aren't real Marshall's BUT that DSL frikkin' Howled !

8. JAMES E GRISSOM

JAMES E GRISSOM New Member

Seems to me that the Plastic Pickup Rings were used to cover over the gap between the edges of the body routing and the metal pickup cover. The larger pickguard serves that same function. Both the rings and larger pickguard also provide a location for the pickup height adjusting screws too. I have 4 SGs 2 Gibsons and 2 Epiphones. All have the smaller pickguards and pickup rings which I prefer.

Biddlin likes this.
  9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

2004 SG Special Faded
    Original color was Worn Yellow.
    Sent out for refinish to TV Yellow.
    Came back wrong color, as Aged TV White.

Original Worn Yellow finish

[​IMG]

Was supposed to be refinished to this,
    a proper TV Yellow...

[​IMG]

Instead, it was refinished to wrong color...

[​IMG]

papagayo and pancake81 like this.
  10. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

double edged sword there. I would be some pissed if it didn’t get refinished to the proper color, as I am sure you were . But man, that color that you got is beautiful. Love the flecks of grey/black, I real beauty.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  11. cerebral gasket

Thanks.
    They did a great job on the refinish, just not the color I wanted. I still have the guitar and use it for alternate tunings.

12. River F.

River F. New Member

9629D06C-F622-4F5F-8F38-21758B0BD5C6.jpeg Here’s mine that I did that too.after owning a batwing sg I learned their a stupid design in general. That they obviously did to speed up production... you prolly shouldn’t have to remove pickups very often but any time you do you obviously have to remove the whole guard including the bridge posts Which potentially makes for a lot more work after you put it together which is dumb imo! You can also see on the bottom bridge post I made another cut that separates the bottom part of the guard incase you need access to the wires you only have to remove that portion. Not to mention what everyone also said about actually getting the pickups parallel to the strings witch is important imo for a double cool pup... at least that’s what the rings were originally designed to do. I believe the original les Paul sgs aside from being fragile were a nice design all around for playability and practicality to work on.

13. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

Question for those that add pickup rings on the bridge pup.....how do you screw the screws in? Do you simply drill a small hole in the guard itself and use a small screw...or do you need some kind of backing piece to screw into.?
    Asking for a friend:naughty:

14. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

When installing a screw into plastic (like a pickup ring screw to a pickguard with open space behind it), you would typically select a small drill slightly smaller than the threads, but slightly LARGER than solid center part of the screw to prevent splitting or cracking the plastic. You want just enough material for the threads to bite into without too much force. The screw should go in fairly easily using a small screwdriver with fingertip pressure, and stop turning as soon as the screw seats completely (no benefit to over tightening here).

This is a less than ideal way of mounting perhaps, but done correctly and with feeling, it absolutely will work for decades.

cerebral gasket and jtees4 like this.
  15. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

But don't the rings further isolate the pickups from the (tone)wood and destroy resonance? :naughty:

16. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

Yes, that is true. That is why you have to use the correct "tonewood enhancement screws" from Stew Mac. Only $9 each. Make sure you specify mahogany, they make them for all types of tonewood. :thumb:

Biddlin likes this.
  17. River F.

River F. New Member

Personally I cut the shape of rings from the pick guard so the rings mount securely to the body and the right sides of the rings mount to mahogany blocks I cut out and glued in the cavities. Originally the rings were on top of the guard but they sat up to tall and being secured to only the guard with self tapper screws made it feel like a pos lol

jtees4 likes this.
  18. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

White pickup rings, very good idea :smile:

Temp 381.jpg

19. River F.

River F. New Member

Papagayo, that is a Beauty you have there! I already had a white pair so I only had to buy one lol but personally I really like them.

papagayo likes this.
  20. cerebral gasket

Three of the screws will anchor into the wood beneath the batwing and the fourth one anchors to the guard only.

[​IMG]

Purchase the ring for the bridge position. It is taller than the neck position. Screws will be included with the ring.

[​IMG]

See thread below for more info on this topic.

https://www.everythingsg.com/threads/installing-pickup-rings-on-fullguards-etc.32686/

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021