Anyone else think that Burstbuckers are an upgrade from the 490R / 498T pups?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by zone47, Mar 12, 2013.

1. zone47

zone47 Member

I swapped mine out in my standard and it's a nice change ... lower gain, more defined notes.

Anyone else swap the stock pups for something else? :confused:

BlackSG91 likes this.
  2. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

I just love my 490T on my SG and my 498T on my Gibby LP Studio. I just love these pick ups. They have such a meaty sound and they can deliver some real nice top-end. But I also like the sound of the Burstbuckers with their scooped mids. It's all a matter of preference. He's an excellent video showing the differences between the Burstbuckler & the 498T...A Humbuggy Shootout!:ohno:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MejmZn9Mz70]Gibson 498T versus Burstbucker Pro humbucker pickup shootout with SG Guitar - YouTube[/ame]

3. zwern188

zwern188 Member

I put a Burstbucker Pro with an Alnico V in the neck of my SG and I love it. I really like how smooth and clear it is.

4. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

I have a LP Special with 490R/498T and a LP Standard with burst bucker pros and, they are way different. Not only in just sound are they different but, when you check their resistance there is a major difference. There is also a major intentional imbalance with the BB Pros. The 498T is a screaming hot pickup. The Special is darker sounding than the Standard. I could see myself putting bb pros inside my SG special. I have not swapped pickups on guitars since I was a younger guy.

5. CATMANDUE

I also find the 490R pickup to have a very nice tone itself.

6. Robus

Robus Active Member

I have a 57 classic in the neck of my lp and a bb3 I in the bridge. I like the 57 better of the two. Either was better than the 490 pair I had in my sg. Just did not get along with them at all. Put in a pair of dream 90s and have been happier with the guitar since.

7. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I like the burstbuckers and think they make a solid choice... just not my favorite. I've pretty much found the two sounds I like best: classic 57 and P90. I'd be totally fine with any guitar loaded with one of those two choices. Well, that plus my strat of course.

8. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

That's where I am....any/all Gibsons I like have 57 humbuckers or P90's.

Those, plus a Tele and a Strat, and I'm good to go, although the Tele needs a P90 in the neck (or a regular Fender humbucker or Gibson mini).

9. CATMANDUE

I don't have any guitars with P-90s but, I love the charecter of their tone! I feel they would sound good on an SG.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

SG's with p90's have oozed tone since "Live at Leeds".

Syrinx and BlackSG91 like this.
  11. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

I've always loved the guitar tone from that album, which I've listened to numerous times as a kid. It's like P90's have a mind of their own with all that uncontrollable, awesome feedback. ;)

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. papersoul

papersoul Active Member

In an SG, my favorite is the HB-L and HB-R set, then Burstbuckers and 57 Classics. I like thick and creamy mids. :)

I may however replace the Burstbucer Pro neck pickup in my LP because it is sort of muddy and bassy. Might go with the 490R which I love! The 490R sounds just like the 57 Classic to me.

13. FFXIhealer

FFXIhealer Active Member

See, this is where I differ. When I'm playing between my two SGs, I find I actually prefer the tone from the 490s than I do from the '57 Classics. Maybe I'm just weird. :dunno:

14. Popozuda

Popozuda Member

My 2011 came loaded with BB 1&3. I love them. I have nothing really to compare them to though. I come from Fender country and have some Epi usage but for the most part, the BB 1&3 is my first humbucker experience. They do just fine for me and from what I've read, they're a very respectable pick-up.

15. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Burstbuckers are a little too hot for me, most of the time. I like the more even response of 490s. I do like the smoother high frequency distortion from BBs at high volume. After recently working on a 1963 SG with real PAFs, I thought the 490s in my SGJ and the epi Hot LPs in Silverflake were pretty close. The open-coil 490s in my Specials are crisper, less microphonic versions.
    Biddlin ;>)/

16. mytone100

mytone100 New Member

I just pulled the 490 out of my 2011 standard and put BB3 in the bridge and a classic 57 in the neck. Much better to my ear. Also 550k audio taper pots love em.

17. 06SG

06SG Member

Burstbucker 3, open coil Zebra = awesome!

Just put in a BB3 in an SG standard. Love the snarl, mids, upper mids, treble detail, mean-ness, spank, snap, clarity AND warmth and thickness.

It's so classic rock, and it reacts so well to any changes on the amp. I'm ecstatic about the tone actually.

Think of that warm spongy mid-range of the 57 classic +, but with more firmness and bite, and a mid/upper mid honk. I'm really loving this pickup.

It even sounds amazing at very low volumes with some gain, and doesn't get muddy.

Biddlin likes this.