Anyone else use a Teac/tascam 2488 or 2488 neo?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by dbb, Sep 22, 2009.

1. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I do, like it very much, and was wondering if any of you have one of these units and want to share tips.

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Looks like you may be the lone ranger.......... Since most all of my stuff is old, I do have a Tascam Porta Studio II I bought years ago.......... ;D It did a good job for what I needed at the time and even on occasion still will be up for the job.

Admittedly, it is nothing like some of the stuff they have today. 8)

3. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I used to have a teac recorder and liked it but it was pretty complicated to use for me. I ended up selling it to get the Boss BR-1600 which I like because it still has alot of features but had a shorter learning curve for me.

4. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Well thanks anyway, guys. I started home recording on a circa 1980 Teac 4 channel reel-to-reel. Man this digital box is sure easier!

So what does everyone use? Pro tools?

5. madguitarsolo

madguitarsolo Active Member

I used to have a Tascam 2488 I thought it was great! Perhaps quite limiting when mastering but I used to record the tracks and then import them into cubase for mixing. My main problems with it was that 4 of the inputs were 1/4" jack only it would've been much better with all 8 as XLR/jack sockets. Since I didn't use it much for production I didn't really get into any processors/effects so how are they?

6. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=madguitarsolo link=topic=19777.msg240178#msg240178 date=1254438854]
    I used to have a Tascam 2488 I thought it was great! Perhaps quite limiting when mastering but I used to record the tracks and then import them into cubase for mixing. My main problems with it was that 4 of the inputs were 1/4" jack only it would've been much better with all 8 as XLR/jack sockets. Since I didn't use it much for production I didn't really get into any processors/effects so how are they?
    [/quote]

Yeah, the mastering is limited but OK. I usually have it mastered by a local engineer that does excellent work for $40 bucks an hour.

The on board compressors, reverbs, etc. are useful and what one would expect in such a unit - pretty good but more limited than a rack of outboard gear. But it's pretty decent all in all.

The new 2488 neo has more memory and more mastering features I understand.

7. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I have thought about having a few of my sons songs mastered by a sound engineer. Thinking it might be worth the cost since i am sure they would do a much better job than I can making things sound good.

As for the teac effects... vocal effects were usable but for instruments, I much prefer the effects on the boss recorder. For vocals, I would love to see what a real sound engineer could do to beef that up for some of my sons originals. I understand they can do amazing things these days with the new computer driven programs. I am told they can pretty much make anyone sound good and make a decent singer sound great.

8. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

i got a 2488 MKII

but i got into a funk and haven't touched it.....

would be VERY interested in tip & tricks meself!

9. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=19777.msg240199#msg240199 date=1254515033]
    For vocals, I would love to see what a real sound engineer could do to beef that up for some of my sons originals. I understand they can do amazing things these days with the new computer driven programs. I am told they can pretty much make anyone sound good and make a decent singer sound great.
    [/quote]

Pro mastering can help a lot; however some of what the pros do with vocals may need to be done on the basic track/mixing/premastering level.

I think you are referring to the whole "EQ-compressor/limiter/auralexciter/pitchrider" package that can really change your tone and correct a lot of pitch errors.

It also can make everyone sound a lot alike.

One tip I can offer - push the unit on volume. I often add 6 db to the input channels A-G (sometimes H when not used for a guitar) and it works well as long as the clip light does not come on.

I understand that the Neo has a multiband compressor for the mastering bus now.

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Update - I use my 2488 as a tracking unit, and process the tracks in ProTools. It has become a true portable studio now - I got the case too! It holds a couple mikes and cables plus headphones.