Anyone ever been "shamed" because they were playijg an Epiphone G400/SG?

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Biddlin, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

This is really aimed at players who gig. I was on another site where someone asked if you'd ever been looked down upon for playing the import/bargain brand of a US maker. I have taken my 2005 Epi SG Deluxe to countless bar gigs and don't think anyone, even the other band members gave it much thought. same with my 2000 Les Paul standard.
    How about you? Ever been shamed for the gear you play? P1010010 (2).JPG 1sfk.jpg

Grizzlyman likes this.
  2. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I’ve had something sort of close to that happen to me once.

I wasn’t playing an import version of a US guitar. But, after a gig once a guy made a beeline for my Stratocaster to look at the back of the headstock! I knew he was looking to see if it was a US or Mexican Strat.

Didds and Biddlin like this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I would have wacked him on the head with it.

StarRaider, SurfNTurf, Didds and 3 others like this.
  4. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I was talking to another musician at the time, but I was keeping an eye on him! He did have respect enough to not try to handle the guitar. He just looked at the guitar on the stand, then crouched down and looked at the back of the headstock and walked away. It was the weirdest thing!

Usually, folks will try to talk to you.

Biddlin likes this.
  5. Biddlin

Unfortunately my experience as well! :naughty:

6. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Active Member

There are many people who would say taking a $1500 SG to a bar gig was asking for trouble. Why not use a used Epiphone if it sounds good enough and the financial risk is significantly lower?

Pals of mine in London use beat up old cars that look like sh#t (built which are often heavily modified under the skin) to drive around central London because all the really expensive Rolls, Bentleys, Mercedes, etc. give them a wide berth.

Westernrider and Biddlin like this.
  7. Biddlin

When I lived in San Francisco, I drove an old Dodge Polara Interceptor for the same reason.(440 ci Mopar motor)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  8. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

No

Biddlin likes this.
  9. ChubbyFingers

Just to add, most of us will never be the kind of rock gods that can afford to hire a tech and a small army of minders to look after our gear either...

Biddlin likes this.
  10. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

It's never happened to me, nor would I pay any interest if it did. I've reached that beautiful time in life where I've stopped caring what other people think. :cool:

11. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

That's the great thing about driving an old beater...when I need to move over a lane in heavy traffic, I just look for a brand new expensive car and aim in front of them...they let me in every time :D

As to the question of this thread...I haven't played in a gigging band since 1980, but back then I was playing bass in a couple prog rock bands. I had an Ibanez "Rocket Roll" which was a copy of the Gibson Flying V (side note...this was 1977 and the Ibanez copy was so good Gibson sued them and both companies were forced to cease production while the lawsuit was pending). Never had anyone put me down because of it...in fact quite the opposite. Those who did recognize it was a copy of the Gibson were amazed at how great it looked and sounded and thought I was smart to save so much money! Hmm...sounds suspiciously like what people say when they see my Epi LP Custom & Iommi SG :dude:

[​IMG]

Eatapeach89, Grizzlyman and Biddlin like this.
  12. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

Never had anyone comment on my gear other than to say they liked/disliked my tone.

Edit: now that I think about it whenever I play my Vantage VP795 I often get people asking what it is but not negatively.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Biddlin likes this.
  13. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Nah, most people at my gigs are too drunk to be able to read the logo on the headstock.
    Usually I just get ‘heyyyy, nice guitarrrrrrr’
    Or
    ‘Your guitarrrr sounds siiiiiiiick’

Biddlin likes this.
  14. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

I think that is sort of the point. Anyone who doesn't know guitars will neither notice nor care. Anyone who is properly into guitars will nod in approval at your astute purchase. Guitar snobs are rarely good players and who gives a f*ck what they think?

Biddlin, WytchCrypt and Grizzlyman like this.
  15. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Last gig we had, those who said something said things like "great gig", great songs" etc so I really think those are the things to focus on getting right and sh!t will sort itself out. Two guys came up to me and asked what guitar I had because "it looked and sounded awesome". I was happy to report that it was the Tanglewood SG copy (the 1 in the avatar) that I got for 40$ and when I did, they both got that face: But it was too late, they'd already said it sounded awesome...

Reason I played it BTW was that the other guitarist dared me. He said "Yeah, you keep saying how awesome it is but I bet you'll still bring the SG or the flyer to the gig". I said what I always say; If chicks don't know the difference, who gives a sh!t. And brought it. And yes, it DOES sound awesome, no mods either.

Grizzlyman, Biddlin and WytchCrypt like this.
  16. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

I want a detailed description of 'that face'

17. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

What can I say, a mix between incredulity and disgust...

Didds likes this.
  18. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Embarrassed by my equipment? Never. Generally get compliments on the tone, or the infamous... "What the hell is that?"
    Embarrassed by my playing? Generally.:D

Grizzlyman and WytchCrypt like this.
  19. ChubbyFingers

You could give a virtuoso violinist a $10 fiddle and they'd get a great tune out of it.

You could give me a Stradavarius (sp) and it would sound like I was torturing a cat.

Didds, WytchCrypt and Biddlin like this.
  20. sazista

sazista Active Member

No, but I have heard people here dump on me because I lauded my Epi G310 (bolt-on) and like it more than my Gibson Faded. Other comments were "there is no way that the Epi is better than the Gibson", even though I only stated my preference for it's playability (flat, fast neck) and construction (design layout with the neck inset further back making more room for my hand), etc. My Epi has Jazz/JB and push/pulls, so it pretty much does anything.
    I would love to play a big festival and walk out with the Epi G310. If the shoe fits...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Grizzlyman likes this.