Anyone ever experience stand damage?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Neezduts89, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

Hey guys. I’ve read on the Gibson site that some guitar stands can cause damage to the finish on the guitar. Has anyone ever experienced this? Apparently the chemicals in some stands (the padded rubber part that the guitar sits on) can absorb into the body of the guitar and cause discoloration/damage. I have a really cool stand/stool combo and it’s really convenient to use, but I won’t leave my SG on it for very long. I’ll set it on there for a few minutes at most when I get up and stretch after a long jam session. After reading this, I’m afraid to use it at all. I picked my SG out of the bunch specifically because I love the look of the grain and finish on mine, and I definitely don’t want it to get any nasty discoloration. It seems like a bit of a reach, but has anyone ever experienced this?

2. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

I have about 7 or 8 different kinds of stands I use at home, sometimes for long periods of time (weeks to months). So far none have caused issues. You will certainly not see any problems with the type of use you describe. Chemical reactions certainly can occur between finishes and solvents (which can be an integral part of some polymers to maintain flexibility). Hopefully most manufacturers take these potential issues into account when designing their products and use non-reactive components from the standpoint of guitar finishes. Any known problems would certainly be of interest to all guitar owners, I have just not seen any from the plethora of commonly available stands I have used.

Biddlin and Neezduts89 like this.
  3. fuzbuzz78

fuzbuzz78 Member

I have repaired stand damage on a few Gibson necks/headstocks, but I personally don’t keep guitars on stands longer than a days worth of playing and recording. All of my guitars spend their down time in their cases.

while I can’t say for certain which stands cause damage, you could place a linen cloth or Polish cloth over the neck support until you pin down which stands use harmful material

No Talent and Neezduts89 like this.
  4. PGSG

PGSG New Member

^ I totally do that with the polish cloth on the neck support.

Then it's just there if I need to wipe down the back.

No Talent and Neezduts89 like this.
  5. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

I have been doing this with mine recently. I place a few polishing cloths on the bottom supports and neck support just to be safe. I never realized this was a possibility until I saw it randomly one day either on the Gibson website or the manual/info catalog that came with my SG. Definitely a good thing to know especially for the guitar owners that use stands as a means for storage. I would hate to see a nice SG get damaged just from keeping it on a stand

6. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Yeah i got paranoid about this so for nitro finish gibsons i throw a towel over any floor stand just in case. If it starts to happen its slow moving ...

Dale and Neezduts89 like this.
  7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

52 years of guitars Gibson et al, I haven't had it happen to me.

8. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I use a Zither stand, basically a wooden pole with a large base and a guitar hanger on the top. It's supposed to be safe for nitro but I took a pair of baby socks and put one on each side of the hanger, where it holds the bottom of the headstock. Works great, no worries.

Neezduts89 likes this.
  9. njpaulc

njpaulc Well-Known Member

Avoid neoprene rubber

10. Flaps

Flaps New Member

Mine lives on a stand, I like to look at it as well as play it. I've not noticed any discolouration but if it did then surely that would just help create a 'relic' effect and make it worth more? :D

I do look after all my things, but ultimately through use they will pick up a few scratches and knocks, I spotted a random circular one on the guitar earlier?! At the end of the day, far worse things will happen in your lifetime than a few marks on a guitar. Just enjoy it :dude:

Neezduts89 likes this.
  11. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

the stories about guitar stands dissolving the finish on guitars date back more than forty years.
    I first heard this urbane legend in the seventies. AND it was true then!

Here's the thing: Nitrocelulose guitar finish predates Chinese made rubber covered guitar stands.
    Guitar stands made in China might be covered in diverse kinds of plasticky rubbery materials.
    Some of those plasticky rubbery materials contain volatile chemicals known as "Plasticizers"...
    These chemicals can soften Nitrocelulose finishes.

If you own some cheapo cheapo guitar stands made in the Seventies, don't put your prized
    Gibson on them. Use them to support Epiphone or Squier guitars, which have Polyurethane finish.
    Poly finishes are impervious and you don't have to worry about them. Buy a pair of black cotton work
    gloves for small money, and cut the fingers off, and cover the offending plastic with glove fingers,
    glued on with mod podge or some bookbinder's glue.

Set your prized Gibson in the best guitar stand you can find or afford. Your Gibson is worth it.
    Newer guitar stands made by reputable companies will have addressed the problem of excessive
    Plasticizers in the compound, and should give no trouble. I threw out all my antique cheapo stands
    and bought better ones.

I've also replaced the rubbery padding on several stands with fuel line hose. That works, and it
    does no harm. It's not as soft and cushy, prolly due to lack of plasticizers. But it protects the guitar
    just fine, and it never wears out.

fos1, rotorhead and Neezduts89 like this.
  12. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

I like your take on this question lol and I agree with you completely. My SG is my baby and only gets the best care, so a cheap stand that will cause damage to it is simply not an option. I understand that some people think damage and flaws add character to the guitar, and I agree to a certain extent, but I try the best I can to make sure my guitar is always taken care of and safe. I don’t worry about regular wear and tear or any wear from playing, but I definitely don’t want the finish ruined due to a stand. Thank you for your opinion

13. OldDog

OldDog Member

Bottom line up front: I look at guitars as art, so my guitars are never cased. They live their lives on stands. No damage whatsoever on any of them. Nothing tricky or improved over the factory foam peg covers.

I think the more important question is how secure is your guitar on the stand? While it's probably obvious to most, it wasn't to me when I knocked my Ovation guitar off the stand and broke the neck. The guitar was repaired and I got new stands that more securely hold the guitars.

14. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

49 years of playing, always using cheap older stands...no problem.

15. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

I look at them the same way. I like when a guitar has play wear and tear, I think it gives it character. I’m not a big fan of the finish becoming discolored though, especially with mine. I like the grain on mine and want to keep the finish looking nice for as long as possible. I definitely wouldn’t buy a cheap stand for mine, I got something that is secure and will hold the guitar safely without having to worry about it toppling over at any point. I don’t overly worry about my SG getting scratched or getting any regular wear and tear, but some things (stand discoloration damage) I do try to avoid. That’s just how I see it

OldDog and Col Mustard like this.
  16. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

Yes, damage is possible. The fact that it's never happened to a lot of folks doesn't rule out the possibility. I posted this image in another thread the last time this topic came up. Here's my wall hanger tattoo on a nitro finish. 20200301_103459.jpg

Neezduts89 likes this.
  17. dagoe

dagoe New Member

This simple solution has worked for me. A wrap of painter's tape at neck-contact spots on the stand/hanger.

Col Mustard and Neezduts89 like this.
  18. OldDog

OldDog Member

Again, I ain't no expert on such matters, but I have never used a neck hanger because I think it puts the full weight of the guitar on two tiny friction points. I have looked at them critically since I saw the first one.

And unless you live on a geologically stable wilderness, windless plain without any HVAC, there will always be vibrations from environmental conditions. Things like cars going down the road, aircraft overhead, mechanical noises from house equipment. If you can hear it, it's making the wall resonate. Those wall hangers are rigid and just transfer that resonance. That vibration just rubs away on the contact points on the neck.

That's just me thinking out loud and a mechanical engineer might tell me I'm full of poop.

Neezduts89 and SGBreadfan like this.
  19. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    I had damage from using the wrong wall hanger - neoprene, I think. I covered all my hangers after this happened

stand-damage.gif

Jack Hammer and Neezduts89 like this.
  20. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

I use cloth on my stands, no problem.

OldDog and Neezduts89 like this.