Anyone ever experience stand damage?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Neezduts89, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Especially since you have no real guitars, only stories and pictures, squawking parrot.

2. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Especially you are stupid :D :rofl:

3. Flaps

Flaps New Member

I'll hold my hand up here, I thought you lot were on about the possibility of very faint marks being made on the guitar that most people wouldn't even notice, but the damage shown on some of the pictures on here is quite drastic!

Mine has been on one of these for years and it still looks fine, but I got another for the Tele today and on further inspection it does warn about using it with certain guitars 'Not suitable for Instruments with nitrocellulose finishes' :facepalm:
    https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/MUS...ame-Stand-Electric-Guitar-/art-GIT0006247-000

So just to play safe my stands now have socks on :D

4. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

you’re right about the neoprene. That is what causes the damage

5. alex1fly

alex1fly Member

My nitro finished SG has some worn finish at the base of the headstock, presumably due to a hanger. Not sure if its from me or from the previous owner.

Poly is much tougher.

6. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Hercules brand guitar stands are nitro safe. I've used them on several nitro guitars and have yet to see and issues.

Neezduts89 likes this.
  7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I use wall hangers.
    My SG are heavy.
    The SG damage the wall hangers.
    The finish on the SG are fine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Super fuzz likes this.
  8. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    I buy my wall hangers from the hardware store. They are really for tools. But they do need cloth covering. It was this kind of hanger that did the damage to the Nighthawk I showed earlier.

wall-hanger.gif

9. Rob H.

Rob H. Member

I personally have NOT experienced it.

But I’ve seen stand damage at music shops. Last time was ~2005. They had some Fender American Vintage reissue Jaguars and Jazzmasters that’d hung on the wall for a while. The black rubber foam stuff was melted/stained into the finish around the headstock. Almost like two cigarette burns.

I’ve always used cloths over my stands for my nitro guitars but recently I installed wall hangers at home for the first time ever. I have my nitro finished Jazzmaster hanging w/o protection. If it reacts oh well.

Still protecting my Gibsons when on stands though they’re stored in the cases so probably would be fine anyway. Limited exposure .

10. SweetJohnnyD

SweetJohnnyD Member

My #2 Std in Champagne actually CHIPPED the finish off. The good news is that I'm over it now and officially jumped into the "it's gonna happen so play it, wounds and all, just enjoy the ride"

11. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I had a reaction from a String Swing hanger that certainly wasn't built in the 1970s.

That's the one. I move my guitars around a lot between the different stands, so I caught the reaction before it got bad and was able to just clean it off with no permanent damage, but I won't take my chances again.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  12. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

Nailed it. A few others here did too. Neoprene and nitro are not a match. Nitro continues to cure for months. On the other hand, poly catalyzes within hours. No problem. Fortunately, the image from my last post was from a guitar I built. I thought two months was long enough. It wasn't. Just took a re-sand and another zap of nitro. Followed my more sanding, etc...

13. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Well-Known Member

I called Gibson on this a few years back and they replied that yes it happens, said it happens most often with the yellow/orange rubber tube pads due to out-gassing, and said a single layer of cloth is enough to protect your guitar. I immediately ripped up an old T-shirt covered the pads on my stand with it. Like others, I don't leave my guitars on the stands more than the length of a playing session anyway, buuuttt...

Bob

14. +Mastodon Fan+

+Mastodon Fan+ Active Member

I put blue painter's tape where the guitar makes contact on the wall hanger. Mine lives on the hanger and is white(most susceptible).

15. jk67SG

jk67SG Member

I found a warning about nitro damage due to materials used to cushion guitars from their stands on the PRS website roughly a year ago. No specific stands were mentioned. When I called up PRS tech support and asked which stands were safe or which were not, I got stonewalled. Maybe this was due to a liability issue. I can't find the original notice but this appears in their 'Cleaning and Polishing Tips':

"Please note, if your guitar is uses nitro finish, we strongly recommend not hanging or setting the guitar in a guitar stand/hanger outfitted with chemically active synthetic/surgical tubing. Doing this may cause a chemical reaction with the nitrocellulose finish on the neck (ex: CE, Swamp Ash) or the body (ex: Modern Eagle, DGT, Sunburst Series), which could cause the finish to dissolve.

Nitro is also prone to chemically react to exposure to leather straps and other synthetic materials. Do not store your nitro-finished guitar with your leather strap attached as this could cause the finish to dissolve. This damage will not be covered under the PRS Limited Lifetime Warranty."

I also saw some photos posted of guitar's nitro melted because of this issue, in one case to the point of dripping, I think it was on MyLesPaul, I can't remember for sure. This is no joke or urban myth. I wish there was more info on which specific stands and/or materials were problematic, or a database with that info in it, I have a Zither stand I've been reluctant to use just because of this issue.

BTW, PRS now sells a hanging guitar stand on their website, and presumably, since they're aware of this problem, the materials they use in their stand would not react with nitro.

Neezduts89 likes this.