Anyone hands on with the 2019 line. Has the QC improved?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Boy_Narf, May 1, 2019.

1. rich85

rich85 Member

Weird. Thats the first complaint about QC in terms of the 2018 SG Junior I have seen. I bought one within 2 minutes of playing it. Other owners seem to feel the same way. Sucks you got a dud.

2. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

I just picked up a brand new 2019 SG Modern yesterday and it is flawless from what I can see. It was set up nice out of the box other than a very slight intonation issue. I have looked it over very carefully and I can't find a blemish. Nut is cut well also...Sounds and Plays fantastic!

IMG_0221.jpg

lawrev, jbat, SatansGwitar and 8 others like this.
  3. lawrev

lawrev Active Member

I owned a 2018 Junior and loved playing it (and it was built great). No complaints. I needed the cash so it was sold quite quickly. I played a 2019 Les Paul Special in TV Yellow and it was fantastic too, build quality was excellent. But I passed on that one....I purchased a 2019 SG Jr. Psyched! I take delivery this week and then I'll post a NGD on it. But I am very excited about Gibson now.

Their fretboards are way too dry from the factory. I will unpack the 2019 and immediately give the fretboard the conditioning it needs.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  4. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Trogley reviewed the one with the sideways vibrato too. Spoiler alert: the sideways vibrato was a bad design in the 60s and it still is. But cool looking!

I always chucke at these guitar guys on Youtube trying to avoid copyright claims by playing "inspired by" demos and Trogley doesn't disappoint. Oh that's sorta Angus! Hey that's quasi Cream!

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    papagayo, arcticsg, Sp8ctre and 2 others like this.
  5. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Active Member

Thanks Steve for posting this review and the previous one showing the Vibrola equipped model. I'm new to Trogley and impressed with him pulling the guitar apart, his background knowledge and overall attention to detail.

I'm no stranger to the sideways vibrato; some years ago my gigging guitars were a pair of SG/Les Paul Standards, one a 1961, the other a 1963. Both were player grade, not collector grade, hence my being able to afford them and take them on the road. I never experienced problems with the sideways trems affecting tuning for the simple reason I never actually used them, as wobbling notes and dive bombing have never been part of my playing.

Nevertheless, I'm one of those people who really goes for what I see as the aesthetic appeal of both the sideways unit (which has an almost art deco look about it) and the Vibrola, particularly the long form version which in my eyes perfectly compliments the symmetry of the SG body shape.

I also like seeing Bigsby units and I added a B5 to my current 2016 SG Standard T. I don't use this either and there could be a future price to pay for my vanity here insofar as has been pointed out by some of our learned SG bretheren, the B5 sits too close to the bridge, putting too much strain on it, which might ultimately lead to the bridge unit collapsing altogether. But I'll worry about this later, should it eventually happen. :D

Another potential plus point for some of us regarding these units is that their weight can contribute nicely towards the overall balance of the guitar, particularly with light bodied SGs.

Returning to the sideways unit, something not pointed out in the review is that string changing can be a bit fiddly, keeping the ball end in place in the retaining slot; the answer is to go the Bigsby method using a capo some way along the neck to hold the string tight in the slot whilst doing what needs to be done at the headstock end.

The new SGs are now starting to arrive in the UK. I'm in the market for one, possibly the Vibrola equipped Standard but I also have eyes for the SG Junior. We'll see..... I can't wait to try them out!

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  6. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I'm with you, I never would use the vibtrato but can appreciate the beauty of it. I prefer, I think, the sideways vibrato look because it's more ornate and less purely functional looking but they both look great on top of that cherry mahogany.

I envy you having those old vintage SGs. I had a '61 Special for a while and that neck was unreal. The "slim 60s profile" necks are great but they aren't the same. No other neck has ever been that comfortable felt that natural for my left hand.

7. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Very nice but I orefer the stopbar version ...

Steve D and arcticsg like this.
  8. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Did he stretch the strings before shooting that video? That's what I want to know.

arcticsg likes this.
  9. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

I caught that as well.

He did say "out of the box", but who knows what Gibby done to them.

ventura likes this.
  10. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

I see alot of control cavity wood fuzz these days.

Imagine having your Gibson's output becoming intermittent due to a tiny speck of wood from the contol cavity routing getting lodged between the selector switch contacts or volume control moving parts right when its time for your lead.

A simple control cavity detailing with some 400 grit sandpaper then a shop vac followup would help alot. Don't forget the eye protection and a dust mask.

The guys that do the wiring could take care of it.

After all, it is a Gibson.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Sp8ctre likes this.
  11. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Pictured below is a comparison of binding colors over the years. I do not consider this a Quality Control issue, but sure wish they would have used the same color binding on my 2019 that was used on my 2004.

(photo 4/17/2017)

[​IMG]

(photo 6/9/2019)

[​IMG]

(photo 6/9/2019)

[​IMG]

(photo 6/9/2019)

[​IMG]

(photo 6/9/2019)

[​IMG]

arcticsg likes this.
  12. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

Here is the SG Modern cavity. I had to see if there was a circuit board...

[​IMG]

ventura likes this.
  13. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

Thanks for posting that nice and clear picture of your 2019 SG modern's control cavity.

In the picture, it shows how the pickups use the following color code :

COIL A :

RED - HOT (+) to volume pot high.

WHITE - TAP (-) to SPST coil tap switch.

COIL B :

GREEN - TAP (+) to SPST coil tap switch.

BLACK - GROUND (-) to ground.

SHIELD - GROUND

It's interesting how they use a capacitor ( I'm guessing a .1 mfd. ) to tie the other side of the coil tap switch to ground.

As a result, when measured externally with an ohm meter, I doubt that you would see a difference between the two pickup modes. Pretty sly.

ventura and Sp8ctre like this.
  14. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

It also looks like the pickup switch's connection tab for the neck, (upper) pickup might be touching against the tap switch housing - not good, its connected to ground.

ventura likes this.
  15. Jewelmaestro

Jewelmaestro New Member

I’m stoked to be getting my hands on my new SG Modern Blueberry Fade when it get here, I ordered it a few days ago, the wait has begun! It has so many features I really like, one of them being no fret nibs like my 2015 Les Paul Trad Japan Ltd Ed. The side mounted jack is another great feature I’m going to really like as well I’m sure...

ventura and arcticsg like this.
  16. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Congratulations, and welcome to the board! :smile:

Can't wait to see pics of that beauty.

Btw, 4+ until your first post! That has to be a record of some kind.. :D

ventura likes this.
  17. ventura

ventura Active Member

I have a 2019 SG Junior and a 2019 SG Special. They are fantastic guitars. They rival my R7, R8, and R7Jr in build quality. Seriously. Actually they probably surpass my R7 which is surprisingly rough for a custom shop guitar.
    A55CB373-7A10-40F5-8D51-67F98745DA30.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    arcticsg likes this.
  18. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

I saw this and was really happy to hear about the 61 SG Standard with Meastro.
    https://guitar.com/review/electric-...stro-vibrola-sg-standard-61-sideways-vibrola/
    And I love that new Junior - but - the wrap up of this article above states......
    "But the tonal range, coupled with the expressiveness and tuning stability of the vibrato, keeps drawing us back to the Maestro-equipped Standard ’61."

And I just pulled the trigger on one...:D
    Pics coming.

ventura likes this.
  19. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

Those Sparkling Mist Specials are sweet!

ventura likes this.
  20. AC 30

AC 30 Well-Known Member

WOW!
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for posting - fantastic!

pancake81, jbat and ventura like this.