Anyone hands on with the 2019 line. Has the QC improved?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Boy_Narf, May 1, 2019.

1. rivercider

rivercider Member

Thanks for the info. I know that I need to try them both side by side ideally, it's just hard to find them locally to do that. I think I will probably prefer the pickups in the 61 as I've heard 490s before and not been crazy about them. It's mostly about the neck for me, whether to go rounded on that new Standard, or slim taper on the 61.
    But the grovers will add a bit of weight on the headstock for the Standard, so I guess that's a factor too - I know they could be changed out, but grovers and a thicker neck probably both mean more neck dive than the slim taper Kluson equipped 61, everything else bring equal.

SatansGwitar likes this.
  2. rivercider

rivercider Member

I have a 2017 les paul standard with the asymmetrical slim taper and I really like it, more than the normal slim taper I had on an LP Studio before that. Feels like it has a little bit more mass to it, although I can't A/B them as don't have the Studio now. Is subtle, but definitely a different feel. I normally like thicker necks, but the 2017 LP works well for me, not sure how different the SG would be.

3. volktar

volktar Member

Yep yep yep. I thought they looked cool, and had to sit down with one.
    Instant disdain for it. The vibrato motion feels strange and foreign (towards the floor vice away from the guitar body), there was a TON of slack in it before it engages, and on top of it all, it REALLY crowds the neck volume knob.

Just not for me. Ive got a bigsby on my tele and it does the job of this, but better. I dont see ever putting a bigsby on any of my SGs, but I certainly wont be buying a sideways vibrola. Like, ever.

SatansGwitar likes this.
  4. Tboneberry

Tboneberry New Member

My new 2019 SJ Junior is extremely well made. No complaints. After six months I still feel like it’s the best electric I’ve ever owned and plenty of desirable guitars have passed through my hands over the years. 3ED4BC23-59E4-4F7A-9EF5-88C96529FCD1.jpeg

5. budg

budg New Member

My avatar is from my 2020 61 standard and it’s the best Gibson I have ever purchased. Great example of qc. The fretboard is really dark and not a flaw anywhere.

6. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The only problem is the orange finish ... AWFUL !

[​IMG]

lawrev likes this.
  7. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf New Member

Wow I totally forgot about this thread and I see it's still going strong hah.

I picked up a well used custom built sg jr mid last year and I really dig it. Think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of the newer 2019/2020 models when 0% financing swings around. Still can't get that thing out of my head. Will report back.

8. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf New Member

Well I tried out a 2020, and a 2021 SG Junior and here are my findings.

2020: White spots under the finish on both the body and neck. Laquer flaking off around the nut. Looks like someone buffed through the black paint on the corners of the headstock. Bridge post holes were very sloppy. High e pickup pole piece seemed to be corroded (lumpy and rough).

I decided not to go with this guitar as it had a dent in the body and not a good enough discount vs new. They then mentioned they had a 2021 coming in the next few weeks so I put some money down and it showed up today.

2021: Finish bubbling/lifting on the top of the fingerboard by the neck joint. Big chunk of wood missing on the end of the neck (where it meets the body). White paint or maybe buffing compound in the same area as the finish bubbles (wasn't able to wipe it off). Red overspray on the nut. Finish bubbles/flaking around the nut. Tons of swirls/scratching on the finish fresh out of the case.

I may be overly picky but these are just my findings. For nearly 2K CAD I would expect a flawless instrument, but that just wasn't the case. I apologized to the store and decided not to purchase it. Shame I really love this guitar. Once of the best necks I've ever touched, but I can't justify the "issues" for that kind of money. One day I'll see one in person that checks all the boxes. This axe is defiantly on my list somewhere down the road.

9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to see pictures of what you're talking about.

PauloQS likes this.
  10. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf New Member

No pics sorry friend. Honestly the only serious issue that worried me was the lifting finish bubble on the 2021. Had the 2020 discount been better I probably would have snagged it. Would definately make sure my setup guy trimmed the laquer around the nut so it wouldn't flake down the neck then beat the crap out of it haha.

I truly don't want to sound like I'm hating on Gibson, I truly think they are some of the best sounding guitars available. I'm just bummed about all these little issues. Three SG juniors all with finish issues. Ah well ill find one eventually, hopefully in a different color.

11. MikeT57

MikeT57 Member

12. jota

jota Member

I have an early 2020 Special and it came with a finish flaw. I got a little discount and I kept it since I bought it online and I really liked the guitar.
    IMG_20190909_135557.jpg

A few months later I started to notice the cracks on the paint on the back and sides of the headstock. They're all over the body now too!
    I just wish they were not all in the same direction but they seem to go all along the neck!
    IMG_20191224_141533.jpg

13. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    I've seen cracking like that on wood before - just not a guitar. It happens because the wood was not fully seasoned before painting. The wood curves slightly as it dries and the side that ends up slightly longer pulls the paint apart and you get cracks. The good part of this is that they probably won't get much worse. The bad is that it looks like Gibson are trying to help their cash flow by not leaving the timber the time it really needs to reach a workable state.

14. trypeus

trypeus Member

I recently had this arrive - absolutely mint. Great QC.
    sgpb.jpg
    sgpb.jpg

15. jota

jota Member

I'll try to take some pics of the body cracks.

16. jota

jota Member

So, here are the pics.
    The light needs to hit in a certain way to see the cracks. It doesn't look so bad in person. Actually, I almost never notice them but, when I go searching for them, I keep finding new ones!

https://ibb.co/album/J3zrPt

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  17. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is definitely not normal. Checking on a Mahogany guitar should be perpendicular to the grain orientation. I'm pretty sure somebody else had the same problem with a recent SG Special as I recall. I'm usually the "live with the guitar's quirks guy" and think many returns are for nonsense, but this would be a legit return IMO. I think that other one was a 2019, too. Hopefully the issue is resolved by now.

18. jota

jota Member

I just realised I messed up the dates. My Special is from early 2019, not 2020.

That idea that it's from the wood curving makes sense because the cracks on the body are on the front. Not one on the back!
    I just hope it doesn't cause problems in the future.