Anyone heard about the Angus Young SG being redesigned by Gibson?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SGinHB, Sep 14, 2009.

1. SGinHB

SGinHB New Member

Hi group,

I've been keeping my eye out for the Angus Young Signature for a couple of months now. When I recently inquired with Guitar Center GC told me they contacted Gibson, and Gibson said they are no longer accepting orders for the AY Sig because it is being redesigned. I also contacted Gibson directly who told me they had no public information available on a new model.

Has anyone heard the same? And have an idea of what is being redesigned and when a new AY Sig may be available?

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Hopefully the price is being redesigned to be lower. Fat chance..... :oops:

3. HWY2H377

HWY2H377 Member

i've not heard anything, but i'll keep an eye open... though i wonder what could possibly be involved in the redesign, other than removing that god awful headstock logo, which was for the fanboiz but i guess they woke up and want to sell more guitars to the rest of us.

4. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG SGinHB! :) :) :)

5. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

Hopefully it will actually become a replica of one of his guitars... I'm crossing my fingers for the one with lightning bolt inlays...

6. HWY2H377

HWY2H377 Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=19746.msg239389#msg239389 date=1252985614]
    Hopefully it will actually become a replica of one of his guitars... I'm crossing my fingers for the one with lightning bolt inlays...
    [/quote]

a replica would be cool, as would lightning inlays... รก la Ace sig LP.

wouldn't mind seeing a relic option as well.

7. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

If they remove the logo from the headstock and logo from the vibrola, we have a winner EVEN at the same price.

the ONLY thing that kept me from buying the AY model was the stupid logo crap on it. I ended up getting a Standard, and no vibrola for me. Saved $1,000 in the process, but stillcrave a true AY replica...

the Robby Krieger is as close as it gets, but the price is ridiculous.

8. suicidehummer

I don't see why the logos bother people so much. You're not looking at the headstock as you play (at least not the way I play...) and the Vibrola engraving is not very noticeable.

I played one and it was a great guitar. But I'm excited to see what they might come up with for a redesign.

9. HWY2H377

HWY2H377 Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=19746.msg239641#msg239641 date=1253588950]
    I don't see why the logos bother people so much. You're not looking at the headstock as you play (at least not the way I play...)[/quote]

[​IMG]

tell us how that is not annoying to a non-fan.

10. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

I would be less concerned about it since I am more concerned about what comes out the speaker...........

11. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Doesn't really bother me that much. I have played them and they are very nice Gits. :dontknow:

12. nynvolt

nynvolt Member

Angus draws that logo, I think it's alot neater and meaningful than having his sig on the headstock. I suppose if you loved everything about the guitar, and could afford one, but the logo really bothered you you could pay to have the headstock refinished (assuming it's screened on under the finish). Or you could just cover it up with a sticker...

I would like to see one that's about $1000.00 cheaper with lightening bolt inlay, without a vibrola.

13. suicidehummer

Well I don't hear people complaining about the Ace Frehley LP having Ace's face on the HS...

14. njpaulc

njpaulc Well-Known Member

That's because they play Les Pauls. What do they know!

15. gnolivos

gnolivos Member

ROTF!

[quote author=njpaulc link=topic=19746.msg239695#msg239695 date=1253661882]
    [/quote]

16. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=nynvolt link=topic=19746.msg239668#msg239668 date=1253633427]
    Or you could just cover it up with a sticker...
    I would like to see one that's about $1000.00 cheaper with lightening bolt inlay, without a vibrola.
    [/quote]

Ditto on the last part - and why not cover the headstock with an AC/DC sticker if it please you. It doesn't bother me, but then again one of the trad Gibson inlay designs there would be more to my taste.

Personally I'd drop Angus' design and name completely (and the extra $$$ for the endorsement) and see if we can get the price even lower. Of course then I guess it is no longer an Angus Young SG.

Frankly I could give a sh*t about celeb endorsement guitars, even of guitarists I really love like Townshend, etc. I'd just as soon have a good replica of the guitar they played at their iconic best - just like they had it, as a plain old Gibson or Fender or whatever.

For instance why does Fender get so much extra bucks for the Clapton or Gilmore model Strats? the name and a few features that are not THAT expensive?

17. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=njpaulc link=topic=19746.msg239695#msg239695 date=1253661882]
    [/quote]

and pretty much Les Paul and Chet Atkins are the only names I want to see on a peghead other than the maker's.

18. TNT

TNT Active Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=19746.msg239694#msg239694 date=1253661742]
    Well I don't hear people complaining about the Ace Frehley LP having Ace's face on the HS...
    [/quote]
    I think the complaints stem from two reasons about the AY sig. First, I don't think a photo exists of Angus playing a AY sig, and second the AY sig at the time was the only new reasonable facsimile of a '68 SG. People would love to have a '68 RI as just that and not with other stuff on it. Angus did draw the cartoon devil that's on the HS but other than that it really has no ties with him. FWIW the price is low compared to other Gibson Sig models for the most part - kudos to Angus for that! The guitars themselves sound great with a good Marshall or Mesa Boogie amp.
    One year (I think 2003 or 2004) Gibson replied that they only made 700 or so AY sigs that year. That's actually not very many. If that's all they make then they will be scarce someday.

19. HWY2H377

HWY2H377 Member

they should limit the logo/sig to the truss rod cover.

20. suicidehummer

[quote author=TNT link=topic=19746.msg239708#msg239708 date=1253667380]
    I think the complaints stem from two reasons about the AY sig. First, I don't think a photo exists of Angus playing a AY sig, and second the AY sig at the time was the only new reasonable facsimile of a '68 SG. People would love to have a '68 RI as just that and not with other stuff on it. Angus did draw the cartoon devil that's on the HS but other than that it really has no ties with him. FWIW the price is low compared to other Gibson Sig models for the most part - kudos to Angus for that! The guitars themselves sound great with a good Marshall or Mesa Boogie amp.
    One year (I think 2003 or 2004) Gibson replied that they only made 700 or so AY sigs that year. That's actually not very many. If that's all they make then they will be scarce someday.
    [/quote]

True, he doesn't even play his Sig.

And also true about the '68 RI. That's partly why I like it.

But the devil is really his signature. He said in an interview when he was at a restaurant and the service was bad, he would draw the little devil on a napkin, lol. And it's a representation of what he is on stage.

[quote author=HWY2H377 link=topic=19746.msg239713#msg239713 date=1253668202]
    they should limit the logo/sig to the truss rod cover.
    [/quote]

From a practical standpoint, I would agree but aesthetically that would be a bit crowded on a TRC.