Anyone heard about the Angus Young SG being redesigned by Gibson?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SGinHB, Sep 14, 2009.

1. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

[quote author=pancake81 link=topic=19746.msg241778#msg241778 date=1258139424]
    Well, the first one has hit ebay guys. Not a bad price either, and looks like good feedback on the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Angus-Young...QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2a0292a69e

I do like the looks of that "aged one", but I think I will buy the VOS. For one, its cheaper! Second, I am just to anal to spend that much cash on a guitar that looks like its been around the block. Does that sound dumb? Although... it is pretty fricken awsome that angus signed the back of the headstock and numbered it instead of stamping them. What if it wears off down the road. No one will no what number they have?

Well, off to the music store to see what kind of prices I can get :-\ This will be the first guitar I hav eever had to finance :oops:

[/quote]

Not a bad price? Guitar Center is asking $6,700 new.

As for the name wearing off, you could just get a clear coat shot over it.

If I was you, I would go for the signed one. If you're already going to spend $4,300, why not just go for the singed one?

2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=19746.msg241784#msg241784 date=1258144709]
    Not a bad price? Guitar Center is asking $6,700 new.

As for the name wearing off, you could just get a clear coat shot over it.

If I was you, I would go for the signed one. If you're already going to spend $4,300, why not just go for the singed one?
    [/quote]

SuicideHummer,

I see your logic man, and you may be onto something, but here is my reasoning on not going for the signed one.

For starters, I just plain old like the VOS one better. The vintage one is cool, and they did an amazing job on it, but the one I have seen of Angus' (either on stage... or other places) is in damn near mint shape. Not aged, weathered, dinged like the "vintage" one they made.

Second. Thats a hell of a lot of money for a signature. Especially since I already have a 1961 Re-issue signed by the boys.

Third. $4300.00 is alot of money. Its not stetching me thin, but its definately eating up a good chunk of my play money for a year

The signed one would be a must if I didnt already have one signed. I mean, these boys arent going to be around forever, and thats just a priceless piece of Rock History that has to be handed down to my (eventual) kids. The other thing is, the "aged" signed one will have more of a collectors status for the Gibson/ACDC enthusiests. But I feel I am staying in hte loop by purchasing middle of the road. It will be my first Custom Shop order, and likely one of my last guitars (and certainly my Crown Jewel).

note: I may eat my words on the last guitar bit, cause I am only 25. But this will be my third Gibson SG in the collection. The other two being, 61 re-issue signed by ACDC & a Classic Custom (week 38 of the guitar of the week). But this beauty is all I desire!

3. suicidehummer

Sound reasoning.

[quote author=pancake81 link=topic=19746.msg241789#msg241789 date=1258152325]
    For starters, I just plain old like the VOS one better. The vintage one is cool, and they did an amazing job on it, but the one I have seen of Angus' (either on stage... or other places) is in damn near mint shape. Not aged, weathered, dinged like the "vintage" one they made.[/quote]

Angus has been using that guitar live and in the studio for over 20 years now, possibly more. It's pretty beat up, you just can't tell in most videos.

[​IMG]

4. pancake81

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=19746.msg241790#msg241790 date=1258153445]
    Sound reasoning.

Angus has been using that guitar live and in the studio for over 20 years now, possibly more. It's pretty beat up, you just can't tell in most videos.

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

Thanks, I thought my reasoning would make sense to someone :)

As for Angus's lightning bolt guitar, I think he has two (maybe more) of them. Because hte one he uses on stage definately has some dings, scratches, cracking etc. But the one he uses in photo shoots, and I believe the one I saw in Vancouver, is in damn near mint condition. So maybe he has a few for promo shoots, or playing in his rooms while the vintage work house stays with the gear?

He is a photo you posted a while ago, and I think this is his "photo/promo" one.

[​IMG]

I may be wrong, but just a thought

5. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

I can help answer your lightning bolt guitar question!

[​IMG]

Hope that helps clear some confusion ;)

EDIT:

Anybody know what happened to his Jaydee SG?

[​IMG]

6. pancake81

[quote author=zrAC/DC link=topic=19746.msg241793#msg241793 date=1258158942]
    I can help answer your lightning bolt guitar question!

[​IMG]

Hope that helps clear some confusion ;)

[/quote]

Thanks Man!

yeah that clears it up some.

I noticed his work horse (the dinged up one) has a rear pick-up ring, and the one in good shape doesn't. But, either way, its clear he now has a few.

It's cool that the new Signature model has the rear pick-up ring like his true work horse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

Aha, I guess he does use the Ernie Ball RPS strings too, it looks like it in those pics.

8. suicidehummer

Great pic ZR! How'd you get it?

I had suspected he had more than one lightning bolt SG because I've seen it with Schaller tuners sometimes, and sometimes Green Keys. I've also seen PUP rings around the bridge only, both PUPs, and neither. I thought maybe he just kept changing it though.

Both lighting bolt SGs in your pic look beat though. So I'm guessing he has three, unless the one he used in the photoshoot has gotten beat from touring.

The Jaydee he only used in, what, '85? Then it probably got stashed away in his collection. He probably doesn't even remember he has it.

Anybody else notice the Black SG Custom with the white PG in the back there? Great to see he still keeps that as a backup. He used once on this tour for YSMANL IIRC.

9. pancake81

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=19746.msg241869#msg241869 date=1258343057]

Anybody else notice the Black SG Custom with the white PG in the back there? Great to see he still keeps that as a backup. He used once on this tour for YSMANL IIRC.
    [/quote]

What Show was that???

I see Malcolm still has his White Falcon for his back-up as well.

10. TNT

TNT Active Member

Malcolm would have to have another White Falcon. His original '58 is hanging up in a Hard Rock Cafe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=19746.msg241869#msg241869 date=1258343057]
    Great pic ZR! How'd you get it?

[/quote]

I found it on the internet haha. I saw Angus use 3 guitars at Wilkes-Barre. He started with the black 64 standard? Then went to the lightning slash guitar and then to the Custom.

Also I think he used that Jaydee in 1981 at Donnington.....

12. suicidehummer

[quote author=TNT link=topic=19746.msg241873#msg241873 date=1258370848]
    Malcolm would have to have another White Falcon. His original '58 is hanging up in a Hard Rock Cafe.
    [/quote]

His original was recently sold at a Rock 'N' Roll Memorabilia auction. I doubt that's his REAL original in whatever Hard Rock Cafe you're talking about.

And he indeed still does use it. At Hockenheim this year he brought it out for Shoot To Thrill, which is great because that song was recorded with his original White Falcon.

[​IMG]

Pancake: I forget what show, sorry.

[quote author=zrAC/DC link=topic=19746.msg241892#msg241892 date=1258403662]

I found it on the internet haha. I saw Angus use 3 guitars at Wilkes-Barre. He started with the black 64 standard? Then went to the lightning slash guitar and then to the Custom.

Also I think he used that Jaydee in 1981 at Donnington.....
    [/quote]

Hmm, didn't know he used the Custom at Wilkes Barre. Surprised I missed that.

13. TNT

TNT Active Member

Last I heard about the '59 White Falcon of MY's it was on display at a Hard Rock Cafe, and right now I can't remember where. It could have been on loan, and later sold at an auction or after it was sold put on display at HRC. Word is he had a luthier reset the neck work on the electronics and it never played the same again, so he stopped playing it. Like AY, I'm sure he has many White Falcons and Jets, as well as others.

14. suicidehummer

The story behind his original White Falcon is very vague. The most common and widely accepted story is that he had "work" done on the guitar and it never sounded the same after that. But for all we know, he could have had several white Falcons in '80-'81 and only the one he used on BIB was ruined.

I know for the Ballbreaker tour he used Gretsch MY Signatures as backups.

15. TNT

TNT Active Member

The story about MY's White Falcon came from Mal himself in an interview. Not sure where I read it though.

16. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

I have reason to believe that Malcolm can afford more than one..... :D

17. suicidehummer

... but the question is... could he in 1980? It's doubtful.

18. zrAC/DC

zrAC/DC Active Member

After highway to hell was released the band was making a lot of money to play festivals and other sorts, so I'm sure he could of afforded a few, but he probably only had one at the time....but now I'm sure he bought one recently I don't think he had one for the Stiff Upper Lip tour....

19. TNT

TNT Active Member

One could probably buy a '59 White Falcon for less than $500.00 in 1980. Maybe much less. He didn't have to spend his dough on a band uniform. ;D

[​IMG]
    Musicmaster guitar

[​IMG]
    Gretsch Roundup

[​IMG]
    His Gretsch Jet in original paint

[​IMG]
    '75 Gibson L6S