Anyone Like Fuzz Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects' started by Gemini75, May 27, 2013.

1. Krosis

Krosis Well-Known Member

Wade, so that Biyang is good? I remember looking at it on ebay and getting a kick out of it that it had the 3 settings. Maybe one is in my future.

2. Krosis

Krosis Well-Known Member

3. alans sg

alans sg Well-Known Member

hi , i have a big muff , 90's version , gets used once in a blue moon when i'm in a floyd mood and an arbiter fuzz , germanium which gets used a lot for doing Hendrix covers in my band , cheers
    Alan

4. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Yes sir, this model is discontinued but can still be found new for ridiculously low cost. Much of the circuit is like the RAT but the Turbo & Max has separate diodes hooked to the three way switch that make this thing a monster distortion beast.

The circuit board is well done and the box is super solid. The only weakness I found are the 1/4" In and Out jacks that are plastic with metal nuts to hold them in place. Now I aggravated the issue on mine as I have a nasty habit of always wanting to "peek under the hood" on everything! And when reassembling the unit I cross-threaded the output and thus didn't do myself any favor there. My right hand never worked good after that stinking stroke and I cannot keep a grip on tools with that hand anymore!:(

I did a side by side with my RAT2 and in the normal mode the Mouse sounded identical (but it had about maybe 15% more punch when dimed next to the RAT). Now I love the Turbo mode. That one is a killer distortion getter that can get seriously edgy or real dark and creamy with the filter being used right. Single coils, like on my Strat and Peavey Raptor1, sound huge with this unit. Humbuckers will put this into something approaching atomic fusion and near total meltdown when cranked.:wow:

I'd say if you can get one for under $45 shipped then that's a super deal!:thumb:

5. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

This guy does some great demos! He always has totally nice gear. He knows how to use it as well!

6. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

I never checked out the Behringerr one but, I have the Boss Hyper Fuzz. I did not like the tones the guy was tweaking out on the video for either pedal. I like the tones I get out of my Hyper Fuzz. It basically has two types of fuzz as well as a sort of booster as well. I can get some 60s type fuzz out of it very easily. On this demo it was too thrown together and, not dialed in enough to bring out the true sweet tones from the Boss. I bet the same goes for the Behringer. I like Behringer products myself.

7. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

I have one and it is great ! It can get knarly, but I use it as an OD. Wino uses one too. ( actually it was designed for him )

8. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

I just got a good deal on an EH Metal Muff. Can't wait to try it out.

9. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Had a chance to play around with the EH Metal Muff, and am really impressed. It really doesn't sound like a fuzz pedal at all, but like something sort of between one and distortion pedal. I put a Boss SD-1 in front of it and it really tightened up the bottom end nicely.

Did a quick demo of the Dr. Know song "Mr. Freeze" using this combo.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17738100/mrfreeze2.mp3

And a more "muff" sounding version
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17738100/mrf3.mp3

Think I found the "sweet spot" on this one,
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17738100/misterfreeze333.mp3

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  10. Krosis

Krosis Well-Known Member

Those are some pretty cool tones you are getting out of the Metal Muff. I don't use my Metal Muff much because I find it more suited for classic metal or thrash metal.

11. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

The Metal Muff needs a little coaxing, as it can't quite cut it on its own. On the last clip I threw a Rocktron Metal Planet distortion in front of it. The Metal Planet I use just for the distortion and the Metal Muff as the preamp. I find it just sounds better than an amp sim. The rest is just a cab sim and an EQ preset.

12. jeremy

jeremy Active Member

Sounds great

13. Natural Burst

Natural Burst Member

I’m a Fuzz freak (as well as an OD, distortion and compressor freak). The pedals I have are an early version VFE Fuzz Duo (old school fuzz sounds and finicky to get good tones. It’s the only piece of guitar equipment I’ve owned that actually sounds better the warmer the temperature is). A custom made Fuzz Duo with switchable input and output buffers and other upgrades compared to the earlier version Fuzz Duo (this is seriously a “wow” factor pedal and has predictable tones compared to the other Duo; sounds different too). The other is a VFE Fiery Red Horse Version 2 (extremely tweakable saturated fuzz with the Big Muff Pi circuit as its basis. This pedal has a double “wow” factor and is nothing short of sensational).

Obviously I like VFE pedals, but these three Fuzz pedals cover my every anticipated Fuzz need.

Oh… and I also have a Big Muff Pi model on my Digitech DF-7. Its very tweakable and impressive in it’s self

Alex_SG likes this.
  14. jeremy

jeremy Active Member

I picked up a Black Arts Destroyer and man its awesome, instant doom! Especially with both sides on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9S1D3cHlAs&list=PLe3uK6zPVPSQMvDyE1eLSXf3gZwiLLCMX

I prefer it's doom tones to my Big Muff and much easier to set, had no problems at all. Although its not as good at older 'vintage' tones as the big muff is.

Anyone tried the nano big muff? Specifically thinking for more vintage tones as the big muff takes up the room of 3-4 other pedals on my board