Anyone recognize these pickups?

goldfish21

Reaction score
Inherited this guitar and curious about the pickups and also what the guitar is worth. I'm not a sophisticated guitar guy (clearly...)

Serial # looks up online as 2011. The front PU looks like a standard humbucker with the cover removed (correct??) and the rear is obviously after-market but I haven't been able to identify it.

Any help is appreciated.

IMG_3166.JPG IMG_3166.JPG IMG_3165.JPG IMG_3165.JPG

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
The bridge pickup looks like one of the "quad hot rail" designs which are moderately popular, and are available from more than one manufacturer. To really nail it down will involve getting some pictures of the back side of the pickup, with special attention to any numbers and markings that might indicate manufacturer and model.

That looks like an SG Faded Special, and a nice "player's grade axe". It's not going to be worth a fortune, my ROUGH guess would be in the $500 - $600 range assuming it plays well. That said, there are so many factors that figure into value, take those figures with a grain of salt.

Here is a similar one on Reverb:
https://reverb.com/item/4674323-201...orn-brown-electric-guitar-w-padded-gibson-bag

Odds are that both pickups are aftermarket, but that is not necessarily a bad thing if they sound good. It's a nice looking instrument, and if it plays good I would rock it "as is".

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
The Neck pickup looks stock.
The Bridge pickup looks like a Bare Knuckle Black Hawk. (8.6K?)

https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickup/humbucker/black-hawk

5C402811-3E8A-4B44-A14F-7EAFC1363CCE.jpeg AF649ECC-CAF4-47D3-83EE-1DEA7861C149.jpeg

The adjustable bridge is a replacement too. Not sure if it’s a Tone Pros or not.
There might be a little wrench in the case compartment.

B744B179-799D-459C-BA79-3347079A22B9.jpeg

If that’s what they are and including a SKB? case, I’d say it’s worth a few hundred more than a stock version with a gig bag. I’m not usually impressed by “upgrades” but these seem pretty good to me.

Last edited:

everdying

Reaction score
is this even a Gibson?
if so, then it's very likely a heavily modded junior.
has additional pickup routing, additional controls, new guard etc.

everdying

Reaction score
ooo that's interesting...
i lost track with most gibsons after they started flooding with the gotw series... now gotta contend with the GC limited series :p

papagayo

Reaction score
Neck pickup is a stock Gibson 490R and bridge one is a Bare Knuckle Black Hawk Humbucker like said before.
Nice SG Special, congrats !

Latest posts