Anyone remove the pickup covers in their SG standard? Pictures?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Ballads, May 10, 2021.

1. Ballads

Ballads New Member

Has anyone removed the pickup covers in their SG standard? Any pictures you could share?

Did the tone change (for the better or the worse)?

Any other disadvantages to doing that? I don't even know how you would adjust pickup height without the cover. How do you?

Also, did the 2018 SG Standard come with all black pickups or black and white (zebra)?

2. MR D

MR D Member

Never removed a pickup cover, have put quite a few on though..Pickup height will only be affected by the thickness of the cover that is removed. The height adjustment is the same procedure with or without covers. The screws on the short side of the pickup turned clockwise will elevate the pickup, reverse it counter-clockwise and that should lower the pickup.Only tool needed should be a pretty skinny flat head screw-driver.

3. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

I was recently reading an article from Eric Clapton, who stated he removed the pick up covers of Gibson guitars because it’s the single best thing you can do for your tone.

Surprised me. I always just thought it was an aesthetic thing. Like hub caps vs no hub caps

4. Ballads

Ballads New Member

Thank you, both! Is it easy to remove it? Do I need to melt solder, etc?

5. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

If the cover is soldered on, you will need to de-solder it to remove. I think most of them are. I can't speak to the sound, never having put them on or taken them off. I do have some with and without and can't say I feel the need to change them. I have seen some pretty lively internet debates with some saying you must take them off and some saying you must leave them on for "optimal sound". Just as many folks will state that it makes no difference whatsoever. Given the equal split in opinions, I would expect the difference (if it exists) is pretty minimal. Adjusting the tone controls on the guitar and amp as well as adjusting the pickup height will probably make way more difference in the sound.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Many people claim they sound brighter or hotter with covers off.

Wonder how many of those folks did A/B comparison using the same set of strings that were on the guitar before they removed the covers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    DrBGood and AngelDeVille like this.
  7. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Admittedly that is a funny example and as I'm of the opposite opinion I have the inclination to put a pic of a lady with clothes on next to a pic of one without, but I shall refrain as it may interfere with forum rules. I've removed all mine except on one guitar but since I don't believe in any tone talk, unless it's from people that play without stomp boxes or distortion with all the amp switches flat, I just do it for the looks and have never heard any difference, nor sought one. Sure, the actual pickups themselves may change the sound but other than that, nah.

So, seek thy sound with pickups, stomp boxes and amps but don't let anyone tell you that a minor detail like that makes a difference. Not even if his last name is Clapton.

8. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Les pauls and sg’s look like ass with the covers removed.

Have some class.

9. pancake81

I have no opinion on sound, but aesthetically... come on. Socks and sandals Vs. Wingtips

H. Mac likes this.
  10. pancake81

11. Ballads

Ballads New Member

What's that saying? Opinions are like assholes, and everyone's got one? Seems particularly apt here!

12. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

If your other ball ever drops, let us know.

13. Ballads

Ballads New Member

I understand your interest in my nethers, but please keep to the topic. And as a general rule, read the questions posed in the first post. If you don't have answers to them, there is no need to engage in the thread. Post counts in an online forum does not enlarge any body parts!

14. pancake81

I think the team here (myself included) are just having a little fun. There is nothing wrong with no pup covers, and as I mentioned earlier, if there is an advantage to with or without I have read that it is without.

In my opinion, no need for the a$$hole reference, the SG looks classier with the covers. However, Even the “SG God” himself never batted an eye to no covers.

As for the 2018 standard, I believe they are all black ribbon.

In regards to your request for photos of a standard with no pick up covers, I can help on that front too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  15. Von Trapp

and I think you're right. This is not a senate hearing but an online forum where, as far as I can understand, the purposes and/or attraction is to interact with others that have similar interests but not necessarily the same opinions. Imagine hanging out with your friends and one of them, most likely the one with socks and sandals, insisting on everyone staying on the same topic all the time. He'd most likely get his socks stuffed down his throat, his sandals rammed up where the sun don't shine and his hubcaps thrown in the river.

And to OP: Most people are glad to help but I'm afraid you'll have to wash the help down with some opinions. Most of them rather witty.
    Also, if we needed compensate for small bodyparts we'd be on mylespaul.com. There is an ignore button though for those that don't suffer fools so use that if you don't like certain people.

Edit: ok, I took a look at my ignored content and saw that OP was attacked rather tactlessly and unnecessarily so I can understand the frustration. Just hit ignore. Some people have no sense of humour and can't express themselves in writing, comes with all forum territory I guess.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  16. Ballads

Ballads New Member

Wow, thank you! So helpful! I even searched google images for "Angus Young SG" and only found ones with covered pickups. Clearly, he has a LOT of them! What a legend.

pancake81 likes this.
  17. Ballads

Ballads New Member

Yeah, good idea. Btw., I really like the SG in your profile picture. I have no idea what model it is, but it looks vintage with a lot of cool vibes!

18. Von Trapp

Not that vintage really, it's a 2008 Diablo, Only one I have with the covers still on because I think it would look silly without.

19. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Open covers are really cool :thumb:

SG Faded 103.jpg

brut2001, Citaod33 and pancake81 like this.
  20. pancake81

personally, I love this look!!^^