Anyone upgraded a Mk1 Epi Iommi? Pics?

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Grizzlyman, May 13, 2020.

1. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Hey folks,
    So I was checking out an old post from SG Lou and he mentioned he’d swapped out the hardware on his mk1 Iommi sig from black to chrome and also added a 5 ply pick guard.
    It got me thinking about sprucing my mk1 up too as it looks a little sad next to the Mk2 with all the binding and sexy stuff.
    Has anyone else done this? Does anyone have any pics? Just curious to see what kind of different mods people may have done to the Mk1 and how they turned out?
    Pics or it didn’t happen folks!

2. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

Here mine first electric guitar from 04.
    As you can see its been to hell and back and afther i got other guitars it became my modding guitar and the one i did test all kind of pickups and wiring over the years before i did put the stock pickups back In it some years ago.i hope it gives you a kind of idea how it woued look like with crome hardware.atleast its hotrodded:dude:

WytchCrypt and Grizzlyman like this.
  3. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

4. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Cool pics, I like the diy old boy job. What did it start life as?
    I’m trying to get some ideas to do something to my G400 Iommi, as I have both models and the older one looks a bit rubbish compared to the newer one...

5. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

6. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

It was a black g400 Tony iommi mark 1 signature.i really did like it and did Get a second one that i did put all crome harware on but sold later to buy a mark 2 iommi.around 10 years ago i wanted a black and red iommi so i refinish my first one Red and it was glossy and good looking up to around 7-8 years ago whene my xwife did have a party that did go a littel wild and this one and one white lp custom was used AS ashtrays.if you see closed you see some part are more black/brown from where they did put out ther joints and sigaretts.because of that i did sand it down and make a clear pickguard to replase the 5 ply it did have and she now goes under the name of old girl.
    whene i did refinish it i did also add full cross inlays in aluminium and put the Jack input on the side and white binding on the side of the fretboard.and polish the orginale black crome pickups to how you see them today.thank you bulldogs are the best

Grizzlyman likes this.
  7. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Grizzlyman likes this.
  8. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Wow! Sorry for acting like you hadn’t real my OP properly, clearly you did! I just couldn’t believe that was originally a G400 Iommi!! That’s an amazing job, especially with the binding! That’s what threw me!
    What a transformation. I’m thinking maybe I should ‘old boy tribute’ my Iommi G400. Maybe chuck some paint stripper over the body and get it bubbled up, then finish off with some blowtorch action? Seems a bit extreme and I’ll probably chicken out.
    Now you’ve got me wondering how much it would cost to get binding and full inlays installed...

9. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Hey Wytch, I thought the pups were the same in the G400? I seem to remember all the press at the time saying that they were...
    I’ve got a USA Iommi pup that I bought new from a US store when they came out, and I can’t from memory tell the difference between that, the G400 Iommi and the Epi Custom Iommi...
    But now I’m thinking...MEGA SHOOTOUT VIDEO! :D

WytchCrypt likes this.
  10. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Supposed to be the same pickups in Mk1, Mk2, Gibson USA and Gibson Custom Shop.

Grizzlyman and WytchCrypt like this.
  11. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

That’s what I thought too Skelt. Seems some rumours about there being a made in Far East versions of these that are in some Epi Iommis. Weird though, all official publicity made a big deal about them being USA Iommi pickups in the Mk1...

WytchCrypt likes this.
  12. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Just had a look at the equipment tab on Tony's website...the description states the Mk1 G400 did indeed have the Gibson Iommi signature PU's :thumb:

Grizzlyman likes this.
  13. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Yeah! I don’t know where all these ideas about Korean versions of the pickup came from...

WytchCrypt likes this.
  14. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Really?

Did you see the new ''Epi custom shop'' ? LOL

Temp 4170.jpg

15. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

humour 101

16. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

Yes they are.i also got a extra black one and they sound the same and look the same the only diffrence is that my mk2 one got a littel less resin but that coued be a mistake only In mine.

17. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

No worrysThank you it was a lot off work and the crosses was a pain In the a to make.i dont know the coast but i woued guess it woued be a lot if you can find someone to do it.about making it a old boy tribute i will answer it In you thead about that.

Grizzlyman likes this.
  18. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

I dont know where the Word that the ti pip are made i Asia but i can tell you it is wrong along with 500t,dirty finger the ti pup is one off my favoritt passiv humbuckers and i have some over the years and i can tell you they are all the Same and made In america.my guess it woued be a anti epi only gibson person that has started that rumor.i know artec did make a pickup that did have the same cover but it was not epoxied and build like a regulaire pickup and sounded like a 499/498 ish so it shoud be easy to see the diffrence unless you just look at it monted In a guitar from the top.

Grizzlyman likes this.
  19. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

I meant to ask you, how did you add the fretboard binding on your old girl? Is it real binding or some kind of sticker? If it’s real, did you have to cut away some edges of the fretboard to fit it?

20. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

Sorry fore my late replie.yes its real binding.i did buy it on stewmac i belive and i did cut the edges afther how thick the binding was and glued it in.you will also need fretmarkers that you have to drill holes and glue In the binding.

Grizzlyman likes this.