Are ANY of the modern SGs correct? Body shape, neck?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by scottjua, Apr 21, 2021.

1. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

is this what we are calling a “Smooth Heel”?

it’s funny, I have three different SG’s, each with a different heel. Would never have known into you check them out, which I did a few months back.

Is it just historical accuracy we are going for in RI’s?

The smooth one looks nice for sure

[​IMG]

PermissionToLand likes this.
  2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that is your AY signature, so that's the smooth Historic reissue style.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    pancake81 likes this.
  3. PermissionToLand

I see, you're referring to the angled heel, which is present on both USA an Custom Shop reissues.

It's not always visible in photos because its' so subtle, but it's there:

[​IMG]

With translucent finishes, it's easier to pick up from the change in grain orientation:

[​IMG]

Your 1991 Special doesn't have that because it's not a reissue.

4. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

A dealer I know had a 71 SG, that was bastardized with a Kahler. It sold for close to 2 grand. When I asked him... "WTF? Why so high?" He told me that 71 was the last year of the "original" style of SG. After 71, they started farting around with bevels and the like.
    Personally, I don't care. I have a 73, and so what if it isn't the "original" shape? Still plays like a beast

faltat likes this.
  5. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Wouldn't the "original" shape be gone with the introduction of the batwing pickguard? BTW, I agree with you. A good guitar is a good guitar, no matter the year. :dude:

6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!

To answer the OP's question: Gibson got it right every year.
    If it's made by Gibson's craftsmen, it's a Gibson SG.
    There is no such thing as "correct" SG. Each one has a lot of hand
    work. And people who claim that one SG is more correct than another
    one are just blowing smoke. All SGs rock.

There is however, your intense personal quest for an ideal guitar which
    doesn't exist in the real world, but can be created exactly to your specs
    if you can afford it. That's the answer. You assemble some cash, and do
    an intense search for a luthier who not only can do the job you want but
    is someone you can work with.

There are Luthiers on this site who can do this for you.
    Our own SG Lou has made SGs for Tony Iommi. Don't overlook him!
    What you are trying to do is possible. But I don't think it's likely
    that you'll find any production guitar that has all of the features
    you think are important.

Even the original Gibson employees didn't think it was important to make
    them all the same. They cut 'em out with a band saw to a template, and
    then finished them by hand with rasps and files.
    And that's still somewhat true today. I've seen posts by Les Paul guys
    who were obsessing about the positioning of the decals on the headstock.
    Those decals were applied by the Gibson "old ladies"... and they didn't obsess
    about it. They just stuck 'em on and grabbed another one.

Anyway good luck in your quest. When you've decided on your ideal design
    you should return and report. Post it in the luthier's section, where all the
    right people are.

Many of us will be playing our SGs just the way they are,
    not worrying a bit over whether our bevels resemble someone else's SG.
    We love our SGs from all different years
    ...feeling that it's the music that matters, not the carvings or the decorations.

But there's room on this forum for everyone. Certainly not everyone agrees
    with me.

koaguilds and pancake81 like this.
  7. PermissionToLand

What he meant was that was before this radical redesign in mid/late 1971:

[​IMG]

In late 1972, they switched back to the more normal style like your '73. The body shape is exactly the same, that never changed. The cutaway bevels disappeared as you see above but then came back in late '72. many other changes were made as well.

8. Billthedrumarist

Billthedrumarist New Member

I wonder why they change the body shape at all. Maybe thicker horns and other changes are done to try to eliminate neck dive a bit or add resonance (The SG is probably already the most resonant electric guitar I’ve ever played) on different years.

9. MacDiarmada

MacDiarmada New Member

I also have an alpine white 91 special three knob that I got new back in the day, I was 18 and it was my second guitar but first ‘major brand’ guitar. I love it, I wouldn’t take a million dollars for it.

scottjua likes this.
  10. Pointyfan

Pointyfan Member

Here's my 1988 '62 re-issue. It's pretty close to my vintage '65 Special. (My avatar). It's by no means perfect. Headstock is bigger, body is a hair smaller, electronics cavity closer to the edge, and bevels just a hair more shallow. But, it's a fantastic guitar! IMG_0003.JPG

11. scottjua

scottjua New Member

Thanks for the input. I like my modern SG and les Paul as well and they have their merits for sure.

I don't get the animosity here. I understand that all of the guitars Gibson makes are real... real Gibsons... real SGs and each has hand made elements and variations.

My main problem is the historic and reissue models SHOULD be replicating the original formula as close to possible. Just like the Les Pauls. The goal is to get as CLOSE as possible to the original offerings... to capture nearly every details historically correct.

That's what I'm trying to find... which... if any... modern versions of the original are as close as you can get? I don't get all the negativity... If trying to connect to the original as close as possible with a modern made guitar isn't your thing... move on... scroll past and don't comment.

12. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

to each their own, I like the 70's no bevel, or whatever bevel my guitar has, and don't really notice of care at what fret the neck joins the body.

some people ponder the colour of shiite, instead of flushing the toilet.

rotorhead and DrBGood like this.
  13. VSG

VSG Member

SG4.jpg Well...Scottjua, I can see your point...to a point, that is. I can see if you bought one of the early Epiphone copies and worried about the body shape. I bought one back in '05 or thereabouts and had to sand it into a more authentic bass and treble horn profile and restain it just to make it "more real"???!!! But I have gotten beyond all that. I now own a 2017 SG Worn T and I love it. The upper horns LOOK EXACT ENOUGH FOR ME. At least I don't feel the need to sand them down ;--).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  14. PermissionToLand

The body shape was never changed (except for the SG-62), only the beveling.

15. Blueline

Blueline New Member

Ok the OP is correct the 60th anniversary top horn is too fat. Actually you can only see the difference by looking from the top. It is shaped like chisel when it should gradually go a point. Yes there is a correct 61 LP shape and when Gibson asserts that this is a faithful recreation then it should be somewhat correct. The 60th top or bass horn is 22mm with the bottom or treble horn at 20mm, both are flat. Making a quick check I estimated a 1961 LP standard is 15mm bass side and 20mm treble bottom. Only the treble horn is flat. A 1960 standard is 15mm bass and 20mm treble. You can see that the custom shop is indeed too fat. A 2013 Les Paul tribute model is closer with very thin 13mm bass horn and 14mm treble horn.

It seems to me the the custom shop 60th anniversary is trying to recreate the early 61 model with the long guard and brown case. However as already noted the heel joint is not correct. There were only 2 joints for all 61 and they were not randomly produced, the 1960 version and the later smooth version. The correct heel joint would be the first joint the exposed 1960 style box joint. The heel used on the new custom shop appears to be one that appears in 1962 and 1963 and think also 64. The smooth heel continues into 63 as well. I do not mind this departure on the heel joint but the fat horn, not to put too fine a point on it, really sticks out.

scottjua likes this.
  16. PermissionToLand

If they come to 20-22mm at the tips, then they are not chisel tips, because the full body thickness of an SG is 1 3/8". They may not be quite as tapered as the originals, but they aren't chisel tips.

17. FF71

FF71 New Member

Here's my 2013 Standard beside my friend's '63-64

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  18. MR D

MR D Member

Yeah Bro, that kind of **** happens a lot of forums..and I cant help but wonder what the outcome would be if alcohol was involved and it was In-Person instead of In Cyber-Space.
    I do know Prisons just a waste of time...altho fighting the entire Bar has been interesting a few times, Bwah ha ha !!! Good for laugh, hefty hospital bill and steel bracelets.

On the subject of Re-Issue/Historical accuracy, IDK what Gibson/Henry J ever thinks/thought. Gibson does some things that are really whacky......Such as calling an axe an Historic or Re-Issue Model and the actual Guitar is not even close to what it is suppossed to be an example of. The 2013-2014 & 2019 SG 'Original' springs to mind. A li'l cannon of a guitar, fo' shur, BUT it cant be an 'Original' SG (1961-1965) with the neck joint at the 19TH Fret, but that doesn't stop Gibson from doin it anyway, fuckin guys.I tend to stick to the Standards, ones with what I would like to be on 'em, yes? 'Only a GIBSON is good enough !' its the Beast I love best !

Seems to me, historical accuracy is usually best on Signature models but, then again, the Angus Young model or 2nd Jimmy Page Signature, WTF ?....But then there is Tony's 'MONKEY' signature and the Hendrix Guitars Gibson released recently that appeared accurate, but IDK 4 sure, not seeing and all.But they were both lefty's, so how could I ?

I really hope getting attacked doesn't bother you too much and Just wanted to let you know: I feel your irritation Bro....happens to the best of us !

19. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

My 2015 SG Std looks like a '61 RI

[​IMG]

pancake81 likes this.
  20. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Dang, that’s nice!

[​IMG]