Are ANY of the modern SGs correct? Body shape, neck?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by scottjua, Apr 21, 2021.

1. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what are your issues with the Angus Young and Jimmy Page Signatures?

Personally I have only found one inaccuracy on mine, I think 99.9% of folks would never have noticed it. Heck, solodallas hasn’t even mentioned it.

2. MR D

MR D Active Member

OK, this is maybe long-winded but you asked, so.......BTW, IDK who Solodallas is but..... from memory that is prone to inaccuracies due to..... er....anyway, one of the Page signatures, I believe the 2nd one (2004???), Jimmy Page himself sued GIBSON to get the guitar off the market...IIRC Gibson actually changed a few of the specs without informing Page and Page was in a Guitar store somewhere in England and saw what Gibson had done and...according to Page himself....Pagey Blew a Tube when he saw the actual guitar (IIRC, it had something to do with a signature on the PG (?), plus some other specs that were changed mid-run and that were not approved by JP) and Page had his Barrister/Lawyer sue Gibson. IIRC, and this was 15+ years ago, the run was then stopped. If you find differring info on what was just stated or an even better clarification.....I will not be surprised..I would not say I have 'issues' with them, but I do know from experience that many of these Signature guitars are just not exact replicas of what was actually in the Guitarists hands. Since Henry J left things may have changed, IDK...

Point being, GIBSON, when Henry J was in charge anyway, would do things that were not historically accurate and infer, sometimes even outright say, that is was.... or...do the always deniable, who me?....... mislead by ommission...But Why anyone does anything, is not always for me to know.

The Angus signatures have the 'AY' Logo on the Headstock, which is supposedly drawn by 'AY' himself (IDK about that one) BUT that is not on any of ANGUS SG's that I have ever seen Angus actually play...... and the Gibson USA produced guitars are not exact replicas of any Guitars I have seen ANGUS play. IDK if he gave one to the Gibson USA line to copy? BUT, one definite example: ANGUS' SG's do not have '57's in the neck position (Wait, maybe Angus does have one, one that I have never seen on a stage?and it is possible ANGUS does have one? Angus probably has 2000 Gibson/JayDee SG's). I have seen one of the AY Sig models in person and did not touch the guys guitar but he started playin a few of Angus toons and the Tone wasn't even close to Angus for sure.I did not inspect that particular guitar, But, TYW, if the Guy likes it and enjoys playing it, or even if he doesn't...hey, good for him...its his guitar, not mine, so........ really? IDGAS.

But I think the guy, who is the web-master of this site, has inspected an AY sig model, and this Guy, CosmicZombie or Some ****, has the best source of info, outside of Gibson itself, on SG's I have seen to date:

SEE HERE:
    https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/Angus_Young_Signature_SG

I will also say this: I have seen Angus with one particular SG, a Walnut coloured Standard, that even ANGUS says is a 1970 SG Standard, yes? Now the MOP Crown/Wheat-bucket In-Lay on the headstock is where it was from 1961 to early 1966. the In-Lay is higher up on the headstock between D-A & G-B TM's leading me to believe itssa '61-65 SG Standard. But it has the Bat-Wing PG, and that did not come out until later, '66 or '67 (I used to actually know the exact year). So, MAYBE, ANGUS might not even know what year guitar he is playing? or Angus has a guitar that the neck & PG was changed/repaired/modified, and Angus never knew it (or he forgot, or he flat out doesn't give ****?) ? U C, A Bat-Wing PG on a Guitar with the Headstock Crown/Wheat-Bucket In-Lay in the place where it is and the fact that that PG wasn't even manufactured until after early 1966? and then ANGUS referred to as a 1970 ? IDK......I can guess, BUT, really I can not explain it....there is an explanation but if I do not hear it from Angus? or his tech, (and Angus may have forgotten by now anyway) IDK if I'd believe it . and what I do know is: It is not my Guitar, and I dont really know the axe's history.
    Finally, and even more boringly:
    For me: I am always psych-psych-psyched to get a new Gibson Standard (SG,Les Paul, Firebird, Flying V, Explorer) with the specs I want on it (SG's having 19TH fret NJ's among other things like the rarer Ebony Fret-Boards...those are always Cool too) and then set it up the way I want the guitar set up....This way: I just know, and I really do know, that I have spent my $$$ on a Great Guitar that will last me my Life-Time, and I can pass it on to someone else to play long after I am gone. I really do LOVE GIBSON GUITARS, IMO, they FUCKIN' ROCK ! (Especially when the are set-up well)

WOW, that was a long one !!!

3. MR D

MR D Active Member

Finally, and even more boringly:
    For me: I am always psych-psych-psyched to get a new Gibson Standard (SG,Les Paul, Firebird, Flying V, Explorer) with the specs I want on it]

4. MR D

MR D Active Member

What model, JP or Angus sig model, has the inaccuracy? ...and If you dont mind adding what that inaccuraccy is...? Having owned far more GIBSON SG's than any other guitar, they are definitely my personal favourite guitar, AYK, THEY ROCK !......It is always a pleasure to play a well set up Gibson 'SG'...I know it immediately after I pick it up.

5. pancake81

I have an AY custom shop, which there is a possible inaccuracy on it. Depending on how critical you are I suppose. The other thing about Angus’ #1 is it has had so much work done, and headstock s replaced and neck changed that it could actually represent his current set up, or a previous one.

what I am referring to is the Gibson writing on the headstock. I will post some photos later

6. pancake81

Here is link the thread. Worth the read if you are into fine details and detective work

7. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

I feel you man. Sometimes the tide on here can turn a bit neg, I really don’t know why, but it is what it is…

8. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Fu
    Funnily enough, even the Iommi Monkey SG at £16000 has something not right about it. The original monkey bridge pickup is a P90, epoxy potted and in a different case. The sound of the first 6 sabbath albums is a P90!
    the pup in the Monkey replica is a humbucker in a case that looks the same as the original. But it isn’t a P90…

9. MR D

MR D Active Member

Yeah GIBSON does that.... A LOT...Page sued GIBSON, now IDK what came of the lawsuit, but I do know Page was upset GIBSON changed a spec on it, didn't tell Page, LOL !. That Monkey P-Up, IDK, is it a weird ass stacked Hummbucker? IDK....I also did not know Sabbaths 1st 6 LP's were with P-90's...hhhmmmm...I'm not a fan of P90's, but that gets me thinkin......

Also, ICFB the prices of the 'Monkey SG's HOLY $#!T ! I thought about gettin one when it 1st came out...and on Reverb, last I looked, they were North of $20 Grand.That 'Monkey' SG was, what? IIRC, $10 Grand when they came out ? IDK but WOWO !!! $20,000.00+ Tax & Shipping for a 7 Lb piece of wood, warts and all....must be nice.....those sold out pretty quick too.

Wow, have you played one of them ? I haven't even seen one except from a distance when T.I. was playin it.

Grizzlyman likes this.
  10. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I'm that CosmicZombie guy. ;)

The USA lineup signatures are not really supposed to be replicas of any particular guitar. And to be fair, nothing about "signature" implies "replica". Many signature guitars are built to be an artists' ideal customized instrument and not a replica of one they already have. The first AY signature (2000-2008) was generally inspired by Angus' first SG, but they added the cartoon Angus on the headstock because that's what Angus wanted. And yes, that was drawn by Angus. He's a fairly talented artist with little cartoons like that.

As for the pickups, well Angus never uses the neck so I think he didn't care what it was, and with his signature pickup, I think what likely happened was that Angus knows nothing about technical stuff and he just figured "the hotter it is, the more powerful it will sound". He also doesn't revere his first SG or any particular guitar the way we do as fans, so it wouldn't even occur to him to say "make it like the pickups in this particular SG I have". Angus is anything but a gear nerd.

However, Pancake81 is talking about the Custom Shop Signature from 2010, not the first USA signature.

As for Angus' SG you're talking about, it sounds like you're referring to his first SG. That was a late 1970 or 1971 model. The crown inlay was in the correct lower position. I've delved into the details on that guitar here:

https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/Artists

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  11. MR D

MR D Active Member

AHA, SO Cosmic Junkie is not his real name, GLAD I finally got that sorted out ! When I cant get info from GIBSON, that is one of a few sites I go to….it might not be the final word on anything GIBSON SG (GIBSON has that) BUT its come in handy a couple of times, pretty comprehensive…the guitar I am referring to definitely has the wheatbucket above A B Tuning Pegs…and a Batwing. and according to pictures on that exact website, that puts the neck, or even more accurately, Headstock and therefore both the neck and headstock, on the guitar I have seen ANGUS play, pretty up close too, pre-‘66-‘67…I wish I could say I remember it from the show in Hempstead NY in ‘78 OR ‘79, Calderone Concert Hall, but I’m lucky I remember being there at all….BONN did play the bagpipes, I remember that well…...But in a fairly recent interview ANGUS stated “I just tell ‘em that one…”, which could mean that is what ANGUS tells the stagehand to get for him, IDK….but I do know that a few of ANGUS guitars have had multiple surgeries to accomodate a compressor boosted wireless and other things, and that once upon a time ANGUS used tape to hold the input jack in place (the pics are on line for anyone that wants to look)a REAL R N R move there…....and it wouldn’t surprise me if ANGUS doesnt give **** what year guitar, or make and actual model, he is going to be playing as long as the stagehand is handing Angus the guitar he told the Guy to get…....there are multiple pictures of the guitar I referrenced on-line……of course uploading a pic on this site is, ugh! but ittsa High up Wheat-Bucket on a Bat-Wing PG’d SG……. MAYBE itssa Jay-DEE with a wheatbucket, IDK….

as far as why GIBSON does anything…. i’ll take GIBSON’s explanation, if there is one, on that.Unless you also work in Upper-Management @ GIBSON too, and that since GIBSON started doing re-issues/signature models.FFS, Cosmic Junkie isnt the guys real name, WHO KNEW ?