Are P90s in SG Specials dogear plates with soap bar cover or is it something different?

El Marin

Reaction score
Madrid, Spain, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky way
Hello all

I am considering installing P90s in one of my Standards wih humbuckers.

I recently saw these picture:

w3ae58kphwc8kv3nhzgs.jpg

jwhwlnqtgkbvmpd76lyd.jpg

So... what do you think?

Are those Dog Ear plates with a Soapbar cover?

I would prefer this better than screwing the pickups in a thin SG...

Thanks for your answer... if any

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
Yes but P-90’s have different dimensions than standard humbuckers and you’ll have to route the body to fit.

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Yes but P-90’s have different dimensions than standard humbuckers and you’ll have to route the body to fit.
DD, isnt there a ground wire to the stop bar post ? The only work I do not do on guitars is soldering pickups/caps...I can do toggle switches but p-ups escape me.Its why I actually like qwik connects.....but I'm pretty sure that there needs to be a ground wire ? or is it there already , the grey part of the wire shown ? no ?

I have a shot at confirming or learning somethin here....before I fossilize.....

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
DD, isnt there a ground wire to the stop bar post ? The only work I do not do on guitars is soldering pickups/caps...I can do toggle switches but p-ups escape me.Its why I actually like qwik connects.....but I'm pretty sure that there needs to be a ground wire ? or is it there already , the grey part of the wire shown ? no ?

I have a shot at confirming or learning somethin here....before I fossilize.....
The shielding on the pickup lead is ground. It solders to whichever volume pot it’s going to. The guitar ground wire typically gets soldered to the neck volume pot because that’s usually where it comes in.

MR D

Reaction score
The shielding on the pickup lead is ground. It solders to whichever volume pot it’s going to. The guitar ground wire typically gets soldered to the neck volume pot because that’s usually where it comes in.
TNX for that. DD......its a confirmation actually.......ever since I grabbed the RED end of the soldering iron I am leery of doin pickup work, LOL ! Crack myself up....sometimes.

El Marin

Reaction score

Yes, I know.

That's why I love batwings, they hide everything under them.

In case I decide to do it, I would get a P90s batwing, screw it without pickups, mark the shape, get the dremmel thinking also un the wings of the dogear and call it a day

plankton

Reaction score
I don't think they are necessarily dog ear plates. Those are screw on plates that Gibson used for awhile to mount P90s to a pickguard. I believe that the only difference between dog ears and soapbars is the cover, the actual pickups are the same.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
I don't think they are necessarily dog ear plates. Those are screw on plates that Gibson used for awhile to mount P90s to a pickguard. I believe that the only difference between dog ears and soapbars is the cover, the actual pickups are the same.
They just look exactly like a dog ear plate.
Soapbars attach below the pickup with screws that go through the pickup, not the sides. That’s why the plates and covers are different.

C87D67AE-B07D-471C-A145-D19399D8CB03.jpeg

69B4DC70-3C5A-40ED-9136-75173A09211C.jpeg 164350CE-1CF2-4A8D-8832-4D66356EF600.jpeg

Soapbar…
E57DE20D-196A-4451-91DF-BD1A46E364DC.jpeg

Last edited:

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Those baseplates attached to the bottom of Soap Bar P-90's are used on the 66-71 SG Specials and Juniors with batwings as well as the modern SG Classics.

I've been through P-90's, Mini Humbuckers, Humbuckers on the SG. Not a fan of Mini Humbuckers, Humbuckers at the neck or P-90's at the bridge. My favorite pup combo is a P-90 at the neck for cleans and Hum Cancelling P-90 at the bridge for hi gain use. I have two SG with P-90 at neck and Hum Cancelling P-90 at the bridge.

I recently purchased an SG Standard and plan to try one of those Duncan Phat Cats (Humbucker size P-90) at the neck only and keep the Humbucker at the bridge. No routing required that way.

Batwings are great in that you can hide any routing and have the the batwing custom made for any pup configuration. I think an ideal SG Standard would be a Humbucker at the bridge and real P-90 at the neck with custom made batwing that has the cutouts for that pup config. It would look real clean and sound great IMO. Install a pup ring at the bridge position only to level the Humbucker with the strings.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
At some point in time you have to jump off the pup upgrade treadmill and just play the guitar.

But then there are other things to obsess over like different amps or cabinets and speakers.

Last edited:

DrBGood

Reaction score
At some point in time you have to jump off the pup upgrade treadmill and just play the guitar.

But then there are other things to obsess over like different amps or cabinets and speakers.
I'm with you that most times, all you need is a screwdriver to adjust them. But wanting to go from humbuckers to P90 is kind of significant.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
There are lots of aftermarket manufacturers who offer more true HB sized P90 options. I got BG Pure90s in my SG. Alnico V in the neck and Alnico II in the bridge, both 7.5k.
That sounds good, his site lists the bridge as “around 10k” and neck at 7.8k.

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
That sounds good, his site lists the bridge as “around 10k” and neck at 7.8k.
Yeah, I custom ordered mine. Two neck pickups (there's no difference but output, anyway), one with an A5 magnet. No extra cost, as I recall.

It annoys me how everybody has to make bridge pickups way hotter these days. I want a balanced sound between pickups.

El Marin

Reaction score

I do play the guitar. A LOT!! Actually I am thinking to this because it needs a refret... because I play it.

I don't care about amps and speakers. Have been using same amp and pedalborad for 30 years.

But wanting to go from humbuckers to P90 is kind of significant.

I don't like humbuckers. Actually my SG has no humbuckers. It has Tele pickups!!! But I miss my LP with P90s that I sold, I really want to get back that P90s feeling and I am not buying another guitar. So, modify what you've got is the way to go.

Actually, I am thinking on a mayor mod thing, going to stainless jumbo frets, P90s and... goldtop refin

This is the thing now (Neck pickup is a Wide Range humbucker sized):

YXU3KvP.jpg

DrBGood

Reaction score
I don't like humbuckers. Actually my SG has no humbuckers. It has Tele pickups!!! But I miss my LP with P90s that I sold, I really want to get back that P90s feeling and I am not buying another guitar. So, modify what you've got is the way to go.
As significant a change. That is a good project. Just don't fall in the "P94 sounds like a P90" beliefs.

Latest posts