Are they rare?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by driftking72, May 16, 2009.

1. driftking72

driftking72 New Member

Hi all im new to the forum and have been wanting to ask a qustion
    I own a gibson sg special faded with moon crested neck i belive these were only made in 2002-2003 and was woundering if these are going to get rare or not?
    Also how much they are roughly worth.

Cheers

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG driftking72! :) :) :)

"Going to be rare"..........? That is the magic question on about any question. If people knew this, the market would be a lot different. I would certainly say that no matter what the future marking may bring, you certainly won't lose out on your investment..... The rarity of a particular year, make or model has many different factors that come into play........ such as how many were made and available, custom factory addings that make the model unique, and so on.

Since I'm not a "collector", I don't get concerned with how much something is worth, but to get an idea, look on things like flea-bay,Craigs List and such to see what they are going for. When most ask for a worth on something, they will get an opinion which could be shaded by the fact it's an opinion. For a certified value, have it appraised by a certified appraisal place for insurance purposes and that will normally be very close.

Hope it helps.......

3. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear Active Member

Welcome.
    The Crescent Moon inlays are rare, and while I want one real bad, I don't think most people see that to make the guitar worth more necessarily. I'd probably classify the inlays under the same category as a "rare color" guitar.

4. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I don't think the woon inlay faded guitars are especially rare but they do have an ebony board which is pretty nice for a bargain priced Gibson. Right now, they really don't generate any premium over a regular faded but who knows what the future will hold?

5. nynvolt

nynvolt Member

The moon inlay/ebony board fadeds seem to hold their origional value better (than the dot/rosewood fadeds) but they are not especially rare. I would imagine if selling it you could get $600-$700 in great condition for it which isn't bad considering thats about what they sold for new.

Kinda funny when they came out the moons were not very popular. Now when buying a used faded, everyone wants them instead of the dots lol.

6. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=19232.msg233098#msg233098 date=1242826259]
    I don't think the woon inlay faded guitars are especially rare but they do have an [size=10pt]ebony[/size] board which is pretty nice for a bargain priced Gibson. Right now, they really don't generate any premium over a regular faded but who knows what the future will hold?
    [/quote]
    That's one of the reasons I want to get one! 6 Gibsons and none have ebony fretboard. I gots to have one. O0

7. oldrockfan

yep, the ebony boards are very nice perk on a faded series. I actually just recently found a SG special with dots that has the ebony board and got it very cheap. Another perk is it has the thin profile neck like on the 61 reissue.

8. nynvolt

nynvolt Member

Not to hijack the thread but whats so great about an ebony board anyway? I don't buy into the idea it makes any tonal difference so it must be aesthetics, feel?

9. guitarslinger

guitarslinger Member

I sold mine for a bit more than I paid for it originally. And thru ebay at that. It was years ago tho, probably just after Gibson stopped using the cresents.

[img width=396 height=1024]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/mromolino/sg1.jpg[/img]

10. ricardo_vicente

ricardo_vicente Active Member

[quote author=nynvolt link=topic=19232.msg233120#msg233120 date=1242894372]
    Not to hijack the thread but whats so great about an ebony board anyway? I don't buy into the idea it makes any tonal difference so it must be aesthetics, feel?
    [/quote]

Definitely feels different. A bit slippery for my liking. I prefer rosewood. I'm not expert but I'm presuming the pores on ebony must be tighter, making it a naturally smoother to touch.

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Member

Absolutely - the feel is the most important thing. In theory, ebony is
    a) harder wearing (but do fingerboards ever wear out if you take care of them??), and
    b) provides slightly better note definition and clarity (but here we're probably in the realm of the extremely subjective :roll:).
    I've only ever owned one guitar with an ebony fingerboard, long since sold, which had a nice slick feel. Can anybody with 2 similar guitars but different boards tell us if the theory is true?

12. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

[quote author=Mayfly link=topic=19232.msg233128#msg233128 date=1242931295]
    Absolutely - the feel is the most important thing. In theory, ebony is
    a) harder wearing (but do fingerboards ever wear out if you take care of them??), and
    b) provides slightly better note definition and clarity (but here we're probably in the realm of the extremely subjective :roll:).
    I've only ever owned one guitar with an ebony fingerboard, long since sold, which had a nice slick feel. Can anybody with 2 similar guitars but different boards tell us if the theory is true?
    [/quote]

I just bought an SG with an ebony board and it should arrive in a few days. If no one has posted i will write a comparison review

13. oldrockfan

Mostly looks for me but they do feel nice too. I expect they would be longer wearing than rosewood although maybe not quite as hard as maple. I really like ebony alot. Wish more of my gibsons had it.

14. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear Active Member

Took this from Gibson's site, an article on woods:
    "Rosewood generally helps to add a certain thickness and creaminess to the tone—warming up the voice of a maple neck, or adding depth and cohesiveness to that of a mahogany neck—while an ebony fingerboard, long considered an upmarket option, contributes tightness, brightness, and a quick attack."
    Link:
    http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Gibson Tone Tips_ It All Start/

15. Mayfly

Mayfly Member

Any news on your new guitar, Pancake?

16. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

You want rare? Buy up all the others and smash them. That'll do the job! ;)

17. mr_strat

mr_strat New Member

I call my crescent moon SG my Muslim guitar. :-)

18. Tenafly Viper

Tenafly Viper Member

Mine.. Not exactly like an original. But a 2002 still. Any excuse to show it off. I gotta get some decent pictures one of these days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]