Are You A Pro Player Or A Bedroom Picker?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by guitarweasel, Nov 3, 2009.

1. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

bedroom picker here too. I played in a band many, many years ago but I was the lead singer and just covered rhythm guitar duties or bass part depending on what was needed. I have no real soloing guitar skills. I only did solos on a couple songs back in the day and our lead guitarist used to have to turn away from the audience to hide his laughing when I attempted my solos. Course when our lead guitarist tried to sing a couple of songs, it was just as funny to hear him struggle with it.

My sons on the other hand are both pretty serious players. Younger son on guitar and older son on bass.

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I played my first paid gigs in early 1972...I'm still playing in public and for money.
    At times I have lived solely on music income, at other times I've worked jobs both in music sales (both retail and wholesale), teaching and in my Dad's now-defunct jewelry business. Currently I am unemployed, having been laid off a couple months ago, so at this time I'm a full-time musician again.
    I played guitar, bass, tenor banjo, mandolin, and could read music and play many styles so I also did Union work at hotels and various touring shows and such, so I was not just playing in rock bands. Weddings were big before DJ's too.
    When I began, you could make a modest living playing music, but that was before disco, DJ's, rap/hip hop and many other things have made it much more difficult to make it just gigging. Of course this depends on the local scene, too, some places are still viable.
    So even though I am and have been a pro, I still wind up playing at home a lot!
    BTW, I know what y'all mean about playing at hospital or other caregiving facilities; the people really respond, and although it is sometimes tough to see all the patients and their suffering, it is worth it when you see how much they love and appreciate music. I need to get back to doing this again as a volunteer.

3. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

yep, playing at places like hospitals is a serious deposit in the karma bucket. Good deeds like that almost always come back to you with interest.

4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I'm a pro who has to compromise and work too. Can't make a living from either
    one right now, so I'm scrambling like everyone else. I've been playing with the
    same music partner since 1974. We started playing in bars, but successfully switched
    into the Folk circuit around 1983 or so... a lot of the gigs were going to comedy and
    it seemed like a good move.

We are based in Ann Arbor Michigan, and tour as far East as Maine, and as far West as
    Iowa. Hate to fly with instruments... the last time we did that, the airline wanted to
    charge me $50.00 extra for two 'pieces,' and they broke my guitar case (but not my
    guitar). We don't make much, but since there's only two of us we can do all right, playing
    coffee houses, house concerts and sometimes festivals. Our tours are short... eight days
    is a really long tour for us. Mostly it's four gigs in three days, drive all night, taking turns.
    We travel pretty well at night, cruising right through where the construction and the traffic
    would back you up for hours during the day. Back to work Monday morning... looking and
    feeling our best...

I played acoustic six string and electric bass for years, happy with that. My SG was my gift
    to myself for turning sixty. Believe me, I'm grateful for every gig we get. One good thing
    about the Folk circuit, people remember you for a long time (the way Country music used
    to be before it got too corporate). I've always been a rocker at heart, but not totally committed to any style or genre. I like blues and country, and try and fuse it into an interesting show. Folk audiences are pretty open minded. A good thing. I get a little of the
    fisheye and chin stroking when I set my SG up onstage, but really, the genie is out of the
    bottle. everything's plugged in now, so what's the darn difference?

I live alone now, so that makes me a LIVING ROOM PICKER... got my amps and my pedal
    boards all over the place in there whenever I want to play. I've been working out with a
    Loop Station. trying it anyway. haven't got the hang of the timing yet, but I've seen it done and it's awesome when you get it right. Playing my SG has made me a much better
    musician. I had to learn all over again... which was the point. When you're sixty, that thing
    about getting set in your ways is no joke. So I had to learn to play with a much more
    relaxed hand. My acoustic player's 'white knuckle grip of death' was throwing the SG out of
    tune. Now that i've taught myself to relax the left hand, I can do a lot more.

SG forever (or as much forever as you get at my age)

Col Mustard

5. D-DAY

D-DAY Member

Guess we have it figured out:
    It was Col. Mustard in the living room with the Boomerang! :D

Cheers!

6. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

I have to work for a living, so I play with my self in the bedroom....errrr
    That didn't sound right did it? :p

7. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=Laney1566 link=topic=19918.msg243093#msg243093 date=1261156044]
    I have to work for a living, so I play with my self in the bedroom....errrr
    That didn't sound right did it? :p
    [/quote]

Yeah, it sounds as bad as the rhythm being "a beat off" :roll:

8. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=dbb link=topic=19918.msg243150#msg243150 date=1261197832]
    Yeah, it sounds as bad as the rhythm being "a beat off" :roll:
    [/quote]
    I have been known to my friends as Sir Rick of Pun for many many years...... and I had to groan at that one. :)

9. Ne_buddy

Ne_buddy Member

Mancave plecker. :p

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=iblive link=topic=19918.msg243165#msg243165 date=1261238314]
    I have been known to my friends as Sir Rick of Pun for many many years...... and I had to groan at that one. :)
    [/quote]

So I'm shameless besides, I like the jokes that are so bad that they are called "groaners".