Art Thread

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Heket, Aug 12, 2014.

1. dcwave

dcwave Well-Known Member

Very nice work, Heket! I turned down a career in art to be a rock star... I think I made the wrong choice.
    Here's a sketch of mine from a long time ago
    [​IMG]

Col Mustard likes this.
  2. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Nice one dcwave! If you started a career in art you'd definitely get to focus your skills and take it to the next level, although actually making money from it is probably as hit and miss as being a rock star.

Here is a more recent one of mine:

[​IMG]

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Did it the other way around, and I don't regret it a single day, but sometimes I wonder.

RVA likes this.
  4. dcwave

dcwave Well-Known Member

I had turned down a couple of scholarships to go play guitar. Had my stuff in a museum, and few galleries 30 years ago. I think because my parents were pushing me towards art, i rebelled and went the music route instead. Thankfully my daughter is pursuing her passion - a degree in art - wants to be an Art teacher.

5. RTH

RTH Active Member

Sometimes I art. Sometimes.

[​IMG]

6. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

I've been into photography for years and years. I mainly do B&W using an old Pentax K-1000. Just now started using digital and some photoshop, but I still prefer the "old School" method. Here's a couple shots.....

3 candles.JPG Ella Hulla Hoop-2.jpg th_granny_smith200609.JPG

chilipeppermaniac, Heket and WavMixer like this.
  7. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I also just discovered this thread. Thanks for posting all these great images.
    There's a lot of talent shuffling around on this forum. Funny, I always thought so
    but here's some proof. Gotta love it.

>I'm a traditional photographer who was forced to go digital... I put it off, and tried to
    get out of it, but I knew that when I could not give clients what they needed using film
    ...that's when I'd better have Plan B, or else start a new career at the age of 54.

>So...(12 years ago) I reluctantly enrolled in an evening class in Photoshop. I went in there with an attitude,
    and sat in the back with my arms folded. I was like, "prove it." The instructor came in and
    made a few opening remarks, and then said, "let me give you an idea what's possible..."
    Then he went: "Here's how we do this: ... ... ... ..." ...and he took the top of my head off.
    The wound healed up but my hair never grew back.

>Suddenly I was engaged. I was like, "Really? Now I have precise numeric repeatable controls over stuff that
    used to drive me crazy in the darkroom? Oh, I can use that!" Well, I've never looked back. I find myself saying
    things like: "Photography has not changed. Photography is lenses and light. It is timing and composition. Those
    things have not changed. What we do with the image after the shot has changed, but that's just technology.

So that's how I make my living, dual career being a musician and a commercial photographer... the two careers
    make each other possible.
    06@100.jpg 10-11-14 even more G:Flwrs@100.jpg knife 7@100.jpg Butter in a sunbeam@100.jpg Devin with dragon@100.jpg Girls rock@100.jpg

Heket, WavMixer, RVA and 2 others like this.
  8. DrBGood

HA HA ... that's how it happened ?

I like the simplicity and the light quality in that butter & bread shot. The last one shows your technical skills. Show us more.

9. Col Mustard

thanks for asking... I'd like to see more of yours as well, even though you gave us a link.
    I'll call on all of our contributors to show some more.
    To me, this is a remarkable thread, showing more dimensions of our community than usual.

As a photographer, I photograph artwork for artists who need to submit images to juries and festivals etc.
    I feel like that's as close as I get to the real thing. I don't have that hand/eye connection that
    gives the ability to create something. Kind of like a recording studio guy who knows how to play
    but is always knocked out by the talent of the ones who come to record original pieces.
    (I should say sometimes knocked out... *grins)

I almost have it. But almost only counts in horseshoes and brain surgury eh?
    Anyway here's a few more images. Most of what I do is so mundane, but that's what pays
    for me to be able to grab images like these:
    5piece24.jpg dragon 29@100.jpg body1@100.jpg Peeking@100.jpg Devin hood wtrclr@100.jpg creepy stair_up.jpg now we need a time.jpg

Heket, WavMixer, RVA and 1 other person like this.
  10. dcwave

dcwave Well-Known Member

Here's a couple more

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heket, WavMixer and RVA like this.
  11. dcwave

dcwave Well-Known Member

Here's a colored pencil drawing I started a few years ago and never finished. I think because I made his arm too short

[​IMG]

Heket and RVA like this.
  12. Col Mustard

wow...

his arm's too short to box with Woden,
    or is it Zeus...

I like the multi colored face... there's a moody quality to that
    which appeals to me. When I photograph artwork, whether it's
    painting or sculpture or fiber art, I'm always thinking: "Could I live
    with this on my wall?" And really, the emotion that causes someone
    to pay $600 for a painting, or $900 (if they have it) is the feeling
    that they don't want to live without that piece on their wall, or in
    their collection (if they have one).

I don't discuss this with the artists themselves... I'm working for
    them and trying to represent their art as best I can, and without
    'enhancing' it. That's the worm in the Oreo, eh? What's possible
    after the shot. The last artist I had in my studio, I photographed her
    work and saved the files, and then I let her sit at my computer and
    I showed her a few controls. Tint, hue, contrast, saturation... these
    are actually all under precise control in the computer. There actually
    is no limit.

That took the top of HER head off. She was finished with the work, and
    the paint was dry. But after the shot, she was able to manipulate the colors
    in the computer. She had mixed those colors herself, on her palette.
    She sat at my computer for almost an hour... which I did NOT charge
    her for. And she revised her paintings. I told her she could NOT mess
    anything up, and I had saved accurate versions of her actual work.

She found that so freeing, that she was able to relax and just mess around.
    Me, I found it fascinating to sit behind her and watch her work. She has real
    talent, and it became obvious that she was a master of color and shading
    as well as mood and the implication of story. I wondered if she was going to
    shop for a computer and some software. G.A.S. strikes other persons than
    only musicians.

In the hands of a talented person, the technology is only just another tool.
    That's what I think anyway. There may be a barrier NOW between traddie artists
    who work with traditional materials in the traditional way, and those who work with digital brushes and download color libraries from gawd knows where. But
    I don't think that barrier will stand. There is a humanity involved in the need
    to experience art, and in the need to create it, using whatever tools will serve. THAT will break the barrier and let the creative juices flow where they will.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    Heket likes this.
  13. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Lookin good, Anita and dc

14. chilipeppermaniac

Gives a whole new meaning to "4 eyes" don't it?

15. dcwave

dcwave Well-Known Member

It's hard to draw and look in the mirror sometimes ! :)

peejaybee, syscokid and Col Mustard like this.
  16. chilipeppermaniac

Wish this fella would somehow return to us. I miss his wit and his presence here. It saddens me to think his health may have taken a turn for the worse.

Col Mustard likes this.
  17. chilipeppermaniac

AND SWEET

Heket and Bullfrog like this.
  18. chilipeppermaniac

My favorite so far, Anita

Heket likes this.
  19. DrBGood

Let me comment this Colonel, if you will.

I think technology is killng talent. The computer is a big toy and its user is riveted to its screen. He does not learn to see and never will. He works in a two dimension environment and the whole thing is about the third (and the fourth). Third dimension ... why Jurassic Park was such a hit.

It's a little like saying you can make great music using this.
    [​IMG]
    Sure you can listen to great music playing with that tool, but you will never create something original. OK, that's pushing it ... Let's say a kid has all the best amps and effects, but he can't tune his guitar and can't play two notes in a row. He'll make nice noise, but it'll never be inspiring music.

I did a lot of commercial illustration when I started my carrer. Then, when images started to be created on a screen, I let go and luckily, it was at the same time my painting started to sell better. Not because I didn't posess the technology, but because I didn't want to be drawing/painting with electrons on a pad. I still wanted to get dirty doing it. I remember clients telling me to stay and embrace the new technologies, because they said the kids knew how to press all the good buttons, but they didn't have creativity.

Like you said, eye/hand connection is essential to create good art. You have to learn the ropes, pay your dues and work hard to get lasting results. You can't buy your way in. Technology is a trap. It makes things seem so easy, you beleive it. Human contact will never be as authentic on a cell phone as a face to face exchange. Sure you can see and talk to your grand child that now lives on the other side of the planet, but you can't give him a hug.

You see all these images of David, but until you are there, in front of the sculpture, looking up at it, you don't have a clue how majestuous it is.

[​IMG]

Just finished this one.

[​IMG]

20. Col Mustard

That owl painting is my favorite of all the ones you showed... the tension in the wing muscles
    and the killer intent in the eyes makes this a riveting image. If this was a photograph, I'd call it
    "Peter Rabbit's last picture..." found on his bloody iPhone alongside some shreds of his waistcoat
    and one brass button.

And the debate about whether technology can kill talent has been going on for a long time.
    A hundred years ago, or maybe 130 years ago, the same debate was boiling in the world of Art.
    Photographers were attempting to be accepted as legitimate artists. The critics and the galleries
    were not impressed, or willing to move over. They would sniff: "This is not Art... this is only technology."
    If you look at old pictures, you'll see that the photographers were trying hard to make their photographs
    look like art... trying to be accepted.
    OGorman_02.jpg
    Here's an early Autochrome by Mervyn O'Gorman. His daughter Christina, ca 1913. I like this image a lot, there's a painting-like
    quality to it. O'Gorman was actually an engineer... his approach to photography was from the techno-scientific side of it rather
    than the fuzzy minded Absynthe sipping artiste's POV. But he was using both sides of his brain to come up with this IMHO.

Well, photography was NOT accepted by the critics and the gallery owners... the old guard simply died off. And photography
    kept going, so the point became moot when there were no more traditionalists to stand up and say nay. NIH!
    I believe the same thing will happen again. I guess I believe in the Human Spirit... which can NOT be crushed by anything
    and which I believe will make art (and music) out of whatever is available. *grins

I understand your point though: look at this photo by Alvaro Garnero... it says worlds
    texting_Alvaro Garnero.jpg
    the young people are changing the language we speak by doing this with their thumbs...
    whether it's Ye Queene's Englishe or La Belle Francais... traditionalists can bemoan the
    fact that this movement is out of their control, but the kids are not listening. I didn't either
    when I was their age. I think the Genie is out of the bottle...

And if the power went out, and foreign devils came flying over dropping
    bombs on us, and we had to flee to the hills with our bits of things in a backpack, young people
    like these would look around them (as if for the first time). someone would make a fire.
    guys would start clicking stones together... old people would clap hands, girls would dance and chant
    and art and music would arise out of nothing. That's my belief.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    Madmatt and DrBGood like this.