Back after many years

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by John J, Feb 12, 2020.

1. John J

John J Active Member

Hello all. Haven't been on this site in about 8 or 9 years. I'll have to look around for some familiar names. I hadn't thought about this site in a long time. The last couple days I've been receiving update E-mails. I don't know why or how but I'm curious to look around.
    I'm really into cars more than playing. I have a SG special that I bought in 1966. I play it now and then but I'm not very good. I really like music a lot.
    Anyhow hello.

2. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Welcome back and hello JJ. How about treating us to a few pics, of your '66 and your most prized car? thanks! Who are you listening to these days for music?

3. John J

John J Active Member

Thanks. I'm an old guy and really don't know that much about computer stuff. I posted pics of my SG and one car years ago with much help. I don't know how that works but there in the Gibson SG column way back on page 303. the thread is titled 66 Special pics. Sorry I'm not much more help than that.
    For music I mainly listen to rock from the 1960s through the 1990s or so. I don't have a particular favorite band. I like a lot of them. Lately it seems I've been testing my memory on You Tube. I'm shocked at some of the lesser known or by now forgotten groups that are on film there. A lot of footage from old shows like Shindig, Hullabalu and Beat Club. I'm shocked a lot of it still exists.

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  4. Zoot

Zoot New Member

welcome, youtube is just the best thing for everything these days, suprised how many local bands from my youth have videos uploaded, brilliant guitar lessons and information too

getting pictures up here is definitly a struggle, still cant figure out how to use the image gallery, I dont seem to get the upload image button

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  5. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Well sure enough I went to page 303 and there they are, nice guitar! the pic is small to see the car clearly but, looks like a Chevy? SS or/and Nova?

Youtube is indeed a blast to browse all the music that's on there, I'm having fun bringing it up on the TV and spending hours ... also for seeing chords that people played for certain songs. Great resource!

6. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

There's likely better, faster ways but here's what I do:

Take a picture on my phone and send by my phone email (by selecting the photo and then the "up" arrow at bottom and selecting the email option) to my computer email (which is the same email e.g. yahoo.)

Open the computer email and download the picture file to your computer's files (hover the cursor over the picture attachment and select Download.)

In another/2nd window, have your post/reply in the SG forum ready to go.

Go to your computer's files (Finder for Macs; Windows Explorer for PCs), find the downloaded picture file and click on it to highlight it.

Go back to your SG forum post-in-waiting window and click the Upload a File tab at the bottom, it will ask if you want it to be a thumbnail or full image, which size, and then will insert the pic into your post. Then, Post Reply.

hope that's not too confusing, good luck!

Zoot likes this.
  7. John J

John J Active Member

Thanks for the tips, even though they were meant for Zoot.
    The car in that photo is a 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle. I bought that cat back in 1992 $2500. At the time it was too much after I got looking at it. About 5 years later I got it to it's present state. I would work on it and run out of money. Save more money then spend more. I also have a 1967 Chevy Bel Air 2 door that I pretty much saved from the junkyard. I just got that one done last July from over 4 years of repair.
    If you are interested a guy I know from Chicago made a video of my Chevelle back in about 2009 at the dragstrip and put it on You Tube. If you search John Naders Chevelle there it should still show up.

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  8. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Very cool, I will check that out. My dad and older brother always had various Chevys in the 60's, oh to have some of those now. My own first Chevy was a Vega, haha. In my town of Sanford, Maine was a drag strip that we went to as kids, it was big time with guys like Garlits, Prudhomme and TV Tommy Ivo. Older kids in high school could race too and I remember one in particular had a Nova with a 600 HP, aluminum block and that screamer impressed even the pros. Once New England Dragway opened over in New Hampshire, that was the end of Sanford Dragway.

9. Zoot

Zoot New Member

thanks Hola, didnt think of using 'upload a file' for pics. just tried it with some pics of my Gator case. Sorry for butting in on your thread John. Sounds like some nice cars though

Hola Vibrola likes this.
  10. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Checked it out and wow that Chevelle is a real beauty AND fast as hell! You did a great job refurbishing it. Watching the vid sure brings back memories of that old Sanford dragway. Sitting on the chain link barrier eating fries and getting our ears blasted before we knew better. Thanks for pointing out the vid, very cool!

11. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Welcome back! :smile: